Originally Posted by JPSPete20
We were early into a two month trip when a similar blowout took out the under liner and both water lines. I duct taped the lines and we ran off of the pump, only leaking some when the pump was running until I could get to a hardware store with the correct tubing and couplings to splice in new sections of water lines. This only took about an hour.
Following that, I measured the areas above the wheel wells on both sides. At a Home Depot, I had two pieces of half inch plywood cut and sprayed them with black enamel. I then screwed the wooden panels in place and applied more spray paint.
A quick and inexpensive, on the road fix that came out well enough that I have just left it in place. The plywood is not as strong as steal plate, but as it is screwed on, it is easily replaceable and may be removed if I need access to the area.
I attempted the same immediate repair, buying some 1/2" ID lines and connectors. I cut and damaged pieces and added the connectors numerous times, but there was always another hole somewhere. Must have cut 6 to 8 inches off each hose. The wire in the tire was like bullets on those lines. I ended up finishing the trip without water, but luckily it was just me. I patched the hole as well, but it isn't pretty. On the same trip, a semi blew his tire in front of me and a piece went right under my truck and trailer, ripping the underbelly liner off. Epic trip and I'm glad it's over.
I currently own two trailers, both less than a year old. One in the shop getting delamination repair, and the Forest River getting tire damage repaired. I should have stuck with tents!