Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-02-2016, 04:08 PM   #1

Wheel well mod: Blowout Prevention

I had a blowout on my first trip, and had some considerable damage to the underbelly. The tire shredded the fender, trim, through the floor, cut through water lines and coax cable. I even had tire pieces in the bathroom. It all happened so fast, but I got her over and stopped safely. I got rid of the Ridgway tires, but I don't want to debate tires here. I'm curious if anyone has welded any metal above the wheels to protect the underbelly from future blowouts?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_4721.jpg
Views:	703
Size:	429.2 KB
ID:	121974   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_4715.jpg
Views:	734
Size:	246.3 KB
ID:	121975   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_4720.jpg
Views:	658
Size:	339.0 KB
ID:	121976  
TravelinFam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2016, 04:14 PM   #2

I placed a 16gauge strip of galvanized sheet metal above both sets of wheels. Screwed into the subframe and stainless screw heads sealed with rain gutter sealant. The strips were about 10" wide by 8' long and together only cost about $60. Probably won't stop a huge blowout but it will do better than the tyvek type cloth that was the only protection before.
Old 10-02-2016, 08:36 PM   #3

That's exactly what I had in mind. Luckily insurance is covering the damage, but it's going to the weld shop from there. I'm a big DIY fan, but welding isn't something I've ventured to...yet. Thanks.
Old 10-03-2016, 11:09 AM   #4
Site Team

There was a thread here a while back where someone took a set of tandem utility trailer fenders and installed them over the wheels of an RV to try and minimize any damage from a blowout.
Old 10-03-2016, 12:51 PM   #5

I've been thinking of having the wheel wells sprayed with LineX, the material used to protect truck beds. Has anyone heard of that being done?
cfleek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2016, 01:06 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by cfleek View Post
I've been thinking of having the wheel wells sprayed with LineX, the material used to protect truck beds. Has anyone heard of that being done?

I have a spray-in bedliner on my truck. While it is an amazing product, I don't see it providing any protection from these blow-outs. The damage caused by the blow-outs are due to the tire continuing to rotate and the tire shredding to pieces. The force behind those chunks of tire slinging around and hitting the trailer is huge... and fast. A spray-in liner protects the surface from a certain amount of force, however the underlying structure plays a huge role on its survival. If a blow-out is tearing sheet metal away, I don't think a spray product will help.

Best thing you can do is spend some money on a good set of LT tires... and your worries will disappear.
325BH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2016, 02:30 PM   #7

27RKSS Quick Fix

We were early into a two month trip when a similar blowout took out the under liner and both water lines. I duct taped the lines and we ran off of the pump, only leaking some when the pump was running until I could get to a hardware store with the correct tubing and couplings to splice in new sections of water lines. This only took about an hour.

Following that, I measured the areas above the wheel wells on both sides. At a Home Depot, I had two pieces of half inch plywood cut and sprayed them with black enamel. I then screwed the wooden panels in place and applied more spray paint.

A quick and inexpensive, on the road fix that came out well enough that I have just left it in place. The plywood is not as strong as steal plate, but as it is screwed on, it is easily replaceable and may be removed if I need access to the area.
JPSPete20 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2016, 02:42 PM   #8
Phat Phrog Stunt Team

Looks like maybe the biggest culprit was water damage. That plywood flooring doesn't look that good, and the tire just finished it off.
AquaMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2016, 03:04 PM   #9

I had a leaf spring break on my 5th wheel, which dropped the door side wheel well a few inches. We were on an interstate and didn't feel anything in the TV. A guy in a pick up passed us blowing his horn and waving, so we pulled onto the shoulder. Tire was shredded by a dangling propane line, which had sheared off. Why FR would place a propane line at the top of a wheel well is a reasonable question. I quickly shut down the propane valves, so we had no fire. Got to a tire shop to replace both tires on that side, then limped to a trailer/RV repair shop where the tubing, spring and shock were replaced and a piece of sheet metal was attached to the top of the wheel well covering the propane line.
Now:2018 Arctic Fox 27-5L
2008 Ford F-250 Long Bed Diesel
Total of 30 Months on the Road Since 2008
DrLewie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2016, 06:36 PM   #10

Tire pressure monitor is what I did. On the way back from wintering in AZ we had 2 blowouts that shreder and caused wheel well damage. I would have had 1 more had the wife not had a weak blater. I f
cought this one before it shreded. I put on the TP sender on and discovered a broken wheel that tore the tire rim seal this time.
NorSnrub is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2016, 11:49 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by JPSPete20 View Post
We were early into a two month trip when a similar blowout took out the under liner and both water lines. I duct taped the lines and we ran off of the pump, only leaking some when the pump was running until I could get to a hardware store with the correct tubing and couplings to splice in new sections of water lines. This only took about an hour.

Following that, I measured the areas above the wheel wells on both sides. At a Home Depot, I had two pieces of half inch plywood cut and sprayed them with black enamel. I then screwed the wooden panels in place and applied more spray paint.

A quick and inexpensive, on the road fix that came out well enough that I have just left it in place. The plywood is not as strong as steal plate, but as it is screwed on, it is easily replaceable and may be removed if I need access to the area.
I attempted the same immediate repair, buying some 1/2" ID lines and connectors. I cut and damaged pieces and added the connectors numerous times, but there was always another hole somewhere. Must have cut 6 to 8 inches off each hose. The wire in the tire was like bullets on those lines. I ended up finishing the trip without water, but luckily it was just me. I patched the hole as well, but it isn't pretty. On the same trip, a semi blew his tire in front of me and a piece went right under my truck and trailer, ripping the underbelly liner off. Epic trip and I'm glad it's over.
I currently own two trailers, both less than a year old. One in the shop getting delamination repair, and the Forest River getting tire damage repaired. I should have stuck with tents!
Old 10-03-2016, 11:58 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by cfleek View Post
Got to agree with 325BH. I've got Linex in my truck bed and had them spray my tool box as well. I threw a ladder in my truck one day and dented the tool box pretty easily. The linex didn't soften the blow. Linex needs a strong, solid base I think. It would work on our frames, but those floors aren't as thick as I thought they'd be. A tire hits hard and has wire similar to a stripping wheel in it. I'm leaning towards some 1/16" sheet metal welded to the frame, and even that may not save me from a future blowout.
Old 10-04-2016, 12:18 PM   #13

What will help more than anything is a good TPMS. That should be standard, I mean you can't see your tires back there so when the tires lose the air and you keep going is what's causing the problem.

Sent from my iPhone using Forest River Forums
spock123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2016, 10:31 PM   #14

Most times those crap tires just blow cause they are junk ! Buying good tires is the first thing to do , then a moniter. Ist tire sets up the nail and the second tire gets it !
jacknife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2016, 11:43 PM   #15

Wheel well mod: Blowout Prevention

We have a 2015 Shockwave. The tires that came on it were two years old. One blew on the road and the others were coming apart. They were no name brand. I kept them at 80 psi before every trip. We were in a pinch and ended up with Rubber Master tires all the way around which are load range F, 12 ply tires. Recommended pressure is 95 lbs on these ones. Hoping we get 3 years out of them.

I also had to repair the insulation above the tire that blew out. Used sheet foam insulation, galvanized sheet metal, and 2 cans of auto under coating over everything. Pain in the butt but it's way better than the way it was before I repaired it.
Allistah is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
vent, wheel