Old 03-31-2016, 03:22 PM   #21
Mod free 5er
Originally Posted by gljurczyk View Post
We all don't have your talent, what is easy to you would be major to me. They add those screw on flairs to your wheel well knowing quite well it will take it out. Just a question but why can't they make it like a car or truck wheel well OC ?. That is really not that heavy of material.....
Be a lot less work to mod a NT fender than fabricating a complete lining from scratch. Just a sabre saw, drill and screws.

OldCoot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2016, 03:31 PM   #22
Wanna Be Camper
Why not just use some thick conveyor belting, easy to fit compared to metal. It should easily stand up. Of course getting it is the hard part.

John & Deb
2011 F250 Lariat FX4 Crew Cab 6.2
2011 Flagstaff V-Lite 30WRLS
Days Camped 2013: 16 2014: 5 2015: 3
SaskCampers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2016, 08:19 PM   #23
We used to have a pop-up with square wheel wells notorious for capturing blowout pieces. I was going to cut up a 55 gal. plastic barrel and make wheel well liners for it, but we sold it before I got to it. Don't know if you could use that in your application, but it would certainly be light weight.
Family of five camping in a Spankin' new
Grey Wolf 26DBH LTD pushing a
'03 Dodge Ram 1500 via
10k/1k HaulMaster WDH stopped by a
Prodigy P2 brake controller
DadOfTwo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2016, 01:00 AM   #24
I bought a TT that had blown a tire and did some damage to the pex tubing. I repaired the tubing and then reinforced the area above with 1/4" showerboard and then rubberized the side that wasn't laminated with rattle can undercoating spray. I used self tapping screws into the frame studs to hold in place. This repair matches the black tarp material and you can't tell that a blowout ever occurred (well, except for the minor fender damage).
2008 Wildcat 29RLS
2012 GMC Sierra 4x4 z71Crew Cab 5.3L V8
Bako88fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2016, 11:12 AM   #25
Originally Posted by Blackhat6mike View Post
No pix as you can't tell it's there. It was coated with bed liner paint [thick] and it all looks stock. If you didn't know the mod had been done, you wouldn't see any difference than a stock wheel well.
I don't think most folks understand just how much damage that "flopping treat" can do. In our case, if it hadn't finally turned loose before we could pull over, it would have torn out the bottom of the frige.
All the damage was done in the very few seconds from blowout to pull off from 60 mph. If we hadn't had the TPMS and didn't know it had blown out, it would have torn the entire side off. This has happened twice.
I stumbled across your post and am intrigued with the idea. I had a blowout last October and the tread portion of the tire whipped around and did over $3700 damage. It mangled a lot. You say your rv dealer fabricated that? Did you do it for both sides? Mind me asking a ballpark figure on them doing that?

OKI Marine is offline   Reply With Quote