Old 08-10-2016, 08:06 AM   #11
Head Rambler
If you fill your fresh water tank from a public water utility, and you don't use a chlorine removal filter, you don't have to worry about the fresh water getting bad in a month.

I only drain and sanitize ours once a year. It gets added to and used from enough to keep a chlorine residual in it.

And I know some of you will faint, but we even drink from it. I personally wouldn't put water in the fresh water tank that isn't fit to drink. If it isn't fit to drink, it isn't going in our FW tank. And yes, I've been in places where the water isn't fit to drink.

Salem 29RKSS Pushing a 2500 Mega-Cab CTD!
Gotta go campin!
Bama Rambler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2016, 01:01 PM   #12
We park along side our house. Unit leveled all tanks empty, slides in, battery disconnected, shades pulled, tires covered. Only takes minutes to get everything ready to go. While DW is organizing the inside I get everything ready outside, plug in power to pre cool refrigerator.

2016 Open Range Light 297RLS Fifth Wheel
2015 GMC 2500HD 6.6L Duramax

Days Camped. 2015: 17
Days Camped 2016: 58
keeprr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2016, 01:36 PM   #13
x2 on what keeprr replied. Hubby makes sure he drains the hot water heater and inspects the rod (?) also. In fact hubby washes the tt and the same time inspects everything (cover lenses might came off etc). I clean it out good like it is the end of the season. Plus make the bed again after the sheets are washed so I don't have to do it later (I hate making the bed!).
Dorrie is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2016, 03:08 PM   #14
We keep our motorhome here at the house plugged in with fridge, freezer and pantry stocked with the basics. Slides in and tanks drained, tires covered no air on but roof vents open under maxair covers. We clean it and restock it after every trip and I remake the bed and put clean laundry away. When we decide to go somewhere we just need to move perishables from the house fridge to the mojo, uncover the tires, roll up the electrical cord, grab the dog and hit the road. Our current record from idea to departure is 32 minutes.

Phil, Heather & Olaf the Boxer
Ontario Canada
Lexington 283GTS
nights camped 2015-89
2016 - 31
oldsmasma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2016, 03:58 PM   #15
Slide is in, unless doing cleaning or chores inside. Plugged into power, only 20A though, so no AC. Make sure battery is topped off with a charge and then switched off. Typically after laundry is done, make up the bed for the next trip.

As for tanks, grey is empty. Occasionally, I'll throw some water softener and/or dish detergent in the black tank and nearly fill it with water. There always seems to be an errant piece of tissue or dried waste that never makes it out during dumping/flushing. On the next trip out, I pass right by a truck stop with a dump station, where if I fill the TV, the dumping is at no charge.

As for water tank, I try to keep 5-6 gallons onboard simply because I'll use that toilet while traveling rather than a restroom. We don't use onboard water, any CG we go to has water hookup and we generally always drink bottled water and the same for making ice.
2015 Freedom Express 246 RKS
2009 GMC Sierra 1500 Z71

Days camping previous years: Not Enough
Days camping in 2016: Still Not Enough
MaineCampingFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2016, 05:21 PM   #16
I store mine with the slide out, plugged in and cable tv hooked up. It is useful as a refuge from my "better" half. I only used my fresh water on any trailer since 1999. That was camping one night in a Walmart parking in Nova Scotia.
rlocicero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2016, 05:34 PM   #17
We're on well water and so are a number of the campgrounds we stay at. Due to this I always drain the fresh water tank and WH. If we aren't going out again for a few weeks or longer I will re-sanitize the tank and system before we use it again. It might be overkill but it doesn't take very long to do it so I figure why not. We don't drink or cook with our onboard water as I don't like vinyl taste from the hoses that make up part of our plumbing. We do use it for brushing teeth and washing dishes so still need a sanitary system.
2015 F150 Ecoboost
2014 Palomini 142 CK
keith_h is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2016, 08:48 PM   #18
Thanks for everyone's input, suggestions are noted.
Limey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2016, 09:58 PM   #19
X2 to Phils input, keep refrig/freeze pluged in. Had more than one occasion to drop everything and meet the Grands in a cg a few miles from home. Mon and Dad are tent campers, grands like the outdoors, eating out by campfire, but at night love the ac, satellite tv and sleeping in with the rescue puppy Pepper. Have not had the luck of refrig being up to full cooling without running it for a least two days, Been true for previous tt, and the new Flagstaff seems to follow the pattern.
Marriot2 on Wheels 2017 Flagstaff Classic 832 OKBS
2013 GMC Denali 6.6L 2500 HD DMAX w\Alison Trans
Pepper Pomeranian rescue 101 days as camping buddy
Days camped in FR, 2011 = 20, 2012 = 57, 2013 = 59
... 2014 = 39, 2015 = 52, 2016 = 68, 3 more planned
Retired :
satdog01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2016, 12:12 AM   #20
I do the same as jeff64 with one exception. I live in the desert so I place a 3 gallon bucket of water in the middle of the trailer. I've found this goes a long way toward saving the wood and upholstery in my unit.

Las Cruces is offline   Reply With Quote