Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-20-2018, 06:24 PM   #1

Where do you put it all?

All the meat accessories are starting to add up and I'm running out of room on the dashboard.

A backup/observation camera and cell phone mount that doubles as a dash cam pretty much take up all the space I have in my truck without obstructing view. Want to add a TPMS but am now wondering where to place the monitor.

Would be nice if everyone got together and made modules that were the same size that would fit in an overhead console, like above the visor.

How have others addressed this issue. If I had a motor home with a 1/4 ace dash it would be a lot easier but I own a pickup.
TitanMike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2018, 07:29 PM   #2

I took some advice from others on the forum, and my observation display is rubber banded to my rear view, so no extra space taken up. The phone for gps is just above the radio. Haven’t gotten TPMS, but figure I could put the monitor on the left side by my A pillar.
Old 05-20-2018, 07:35 PM   #3

Scanguage II and Trax3 monitors are small. They are on dash next to driver's door window. Garmin GPS goes in middle of dash on a dash mount. TPS monitor will go anywhere, it's not wired unless needing charged. I usually set it down in the console storage where I can see it when I need to.

Two DIC displays on truck anyway, built in.

Observation camera goes on a Ram Suction Cup mount on top of driver's door window.

Pitch and Roll stick and Afterburner Throttle are on ceiling.

The last sentence is a joke.

FROG AR-0019-242
2016 GMC Denali 3500Dually--2017 CC 36CKTS
BandJCarm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2018, 08:16 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by ImTravis View Post
I took some advice from others on the forum, and my observation display is rubber banded to my rear view, so no extra space taken up. The phone for gps is just above the radio. Haven’t gotten TPMS, but figure I could put the monitor on the left side by my A pillar.
I considered the rear view mirror but didn't care for the hanging wires. The a-pillar already has a tyranny temp gauge and soon to have a differential temp gauge "partner" although I may just buy another sensor and install a switch that let's me toggle back and forth.
Old 05-20-2018, 08:46 PM   #5

You might consider Velcro on the face of the dash. I do this for my TPMS and cell phone.
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1526866914.435799.jpg
Views:	322
Size:	264.8 KB
ID:	172680
The cell mounts right of the steering wheel high on the dash.
Paul

on 2012 4500 Chevrolet Chassis
Paul
B D HOWie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2018, 01:06 PM   #6

Hot weather

Quote:
Originally Posted by B D HOWie View Post
You might consider Velcro on the face of the dash. I do this for my TPMS and cell phone.
Attachment 172680
The cell mounts right of the steering wheel high on the dash.
Paul
Hot weather will cause velcro to come unglued from dash surfaces .......
Bob Vaughn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2018, 01:24 PM   #7
Empty Nesters

In my MH the backup camera is instead of the rear view mirror. The dashcam is suctioned behind the bu camera. The gps is suctioned just above the dash and the tpms is on the dash next to it.Click image for larger version

Name:	4458.jpeg
Views:	260
Size:	51.7 KB
ID:	172797
Old 05-21-2018, 04:35 PM   #8

My cellphone is hands free thru the truck audio system with Bluetooth. The GPS is built in to the truck navigation system. The TMPS is for the trailer is a Bluetooth AP on the cellphone and the TMPS for the truck is part of the truck accessory system. So I have nothing on my dashboard.

Wes
WA5TKU
wa5tku is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2018, 04:54 PM   #9

Frankenstien

My wife got in MH this weekend and said when are you going to stop adding toys to the dash after I just installed the EEZ TPMS monitor, I cannot use the suction on my dash since it isn't a smooth surface, So I decided to mount it on table between wife and I. We will see if it stays and how many times we knock it off.

My response was not until I run out of plugs and power, three more outlets.
Secarider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2018, 07:20 PM   #10
Bene Gesserit Rule

Quote:
Originally Posted by TitanMike View Post
All the meat accessories are starting to add up and I'm running out of room on the dashboard.

A backup/observation camera and cell phone mount that doubles as a dash cam pretty much take up all the space I have in my truck without obstructing view. Want to add a TPMS but am now wondering where to place the monitor.

Would be nice if everyone got together and made modules that were the same size that would fit in an overhead console, like above the visor.

How have others addressed this issue. If I had a motor home with a 1/4 ace dash it would be a lot easier but I own a pickup.
My cameras (all 4 of them, truck reverse, 5'er rear view, truck tub/hitch view or look-up-at-the-trees-scratching-the-nose-cone view, truck front looking back-n-down-the-side clearance view) feed into my 7" screen radio (with GPS) via one of the video inputs and managed by a rotary selector I installed in the dash.

My TPMS monitor is suckered to the windscreen on the passenger side facing my navigator and on-road systems data monitor (DW), a Garmin GPS is suckered to a flat disk attached to the top of the dash to act as very visible and more accurate speed check with on-road and trip data readout, my current cell phone sits in the console connected via Blue-tooth to the radio, an old iPhone with all my travel music is hidden in the glove box connected via a cable to the radio, a USB stick holding PDF's of manuals and trip docs that can be read on the radio screen is in there too connected via the radio's USB cable, A dashcam is suckered to the windscreen next to the rear view mirror. The latest gadget just arrived, which may replace the Garmin, is a HUD-head-up display (in daylight I can't read the dials on my Chevy's dash) that sits flat on the dash in front of the driver. And I still have a clear unobstructed view across the windscreen.
Murbella7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2018, 08:06 PM   #11

I'll have the Garmin, Furion display and cell phone so I'm planning to use https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...A2XENS8LQP1A6D mounted on the dash with the appropriate Ram Mount bits.

No trees were harmed while sending this message;
however, a rather large number of electrons were terribly inconvenienced.

TT: 2018 Surveyor 243RBS TV:2019 F-250 XLT 6.2L 4x4 Crew Cab
mawilson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2018, 02:32 PM   #12

Sounds like time to move up to an airplane cockpit.[emoji1]
AbdRahim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2018, 02:50 PM   #13

FWIW: For those of you who may be in Georgia or will be traveling through Georgia: Georgia has a law making it illegal to attach or hang any object from a moving vehicles rear view mirror. Effective July 01, 2018 this law has been enhanced to cover ANY item hanging from a rear view mirror. This new enhancement even includes Handicap placards. My Handicap placard was issued with a small slot and hole for hanging from the rear view mirror. Effective July 01 the new Handicap placards will be made so that they will be displayed at the lower left corner of the windshield.
Thurman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2018, 03:51 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by AbdRahim View Post
Sounds like time to move up to an airplane cockpit.[emoji1]
Perhaps a fighter plane HUD.

It would be nice if there was a standard for all the devices that have LCD displays so one could route their outputs to a single display, like the "Infotainment" displays most new cars have. My Volt shows half a dozen "apps" on the screen and I can move back and forth among them with a mere touch of the screen (or steering wheel control).

For the older vehicles it would be nice to use a tablet that works in a similar manner.

I certainly won't be buying a new truck just to get all the built in features some new ones have. Maybe I'll just figure out how to incorporate all the displays into a console that fits above the visor.

"You only grow old when you run out of new things to do"

2018 Flagstaff Micro Lite 25BDS
2023 f-150 SCREW XLT 3.5 Ecoboost (The result of a $68,000 oil change)
Old 05-22-2018, 03:59 PM   #15

Hmmm. I don't want all my displays on one screen. I don't want to toggle. I want to see them all at once.

It's not a big deal at all.

FROG AR-0019-242
Old 05-22-2018, 04:26 PM   #16
Empty Nesters

I like checking my speed on the GPS vs the speedometer. I find I can keep my eyes on the road better looking at the GPS just above the dash in the center than looking through the steering wheel to the speedometer.
Old 05-22-2018, 04:34 PM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by KenandCarol View Post
I like checking my speed on the GPS vs the speedometer. I find I can keep my eyes on the road better looking at the GPS just above the dash in the center than looking through the steering wheel to the speedometer.
There is an excellent point, and should be read by all.

GPS is accurate! And in my truck, it's 4 mph off from my speedometer. Thus, I never look at the speedometer, which actually frees up my truck DIC for other info. But don't trust your DIC for anything really. It's close but not 100%.

FROG AR-0019-242
Old 05-23-2018, 05:01 PM   #18
Sham183

I tell my wife to hold them [emoji12].
mopwr4me2003 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2018, 07:29 PM   #19
Bene Gesserit Rule

Quote:
Originally Posted by BandJCarm View Post
There is an excellent point, and should be read by all.

GPS is accurate! And in my truck, it's 4 mph off from my speedometer. Thus, I never look at the speedometer, which actually frees up my truck DIC for other info. But don't trust your DIC for anything really. It's close but not 100%.
My truck speedo is out by 6km/hr at 80. I have been using a GPS for speed checking for many years and I have never had a speeding ticket, even when the car/truck speedo reads way above the limit.
Murbella7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2018, 09:36 AM   #20

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_3751.jpg
Views:	144
Size:	314.6 KB
ID:	173289
UltraGauge and TST TPMS velcro’ed to dash, Garmin beanbag mount up on the dash.

Works well for us!