Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-23-2011, 12:59 AM   #1

Which is best?

There seems to be a bit of confusion on my part. With my sewer line perminently connected to the city sewer line now which is best, keep the black water tank valve open or closed until full. Half the people I ask say open, half say closed. I have just connected using the flex sewer line but will be running PVC soon.
floridamark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2011, 07:30 AM   #2

Depends, if you have a spray clean out system installed (and use it regularly) open should be fine, If not I would keep it closed and then treat it like you would any time you dumped and clean it out at each flush(Dump). One other note, depending on where you are at remember this is not the same as a house system you do not have water traps so open means no protection from the smells that could flow up out of the sewer system into the TT.
Personally I'm in the closed camp.
2023 Road Glide ST
camper_Lucy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2011, 07:53 AM   #3

You do NOT want to keep it open! By leaving it closed the liquid mixes with the solids to help break down the poo. By leaving it open some of the solids sort of get trapped in the tank or hose. That's bad!
Jack

2015 Silverado High Country.
jackhartjr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2011, 08:55 AM   #4

CLOSED, only dump it when it is 3/4 full, if you leave it open then the liquids will drain off and the solids will stay in the tank. you will be left with a mess. See my thread on this issue. I bought a used a camper that the dump valve was left open on and it was not nice

http://www.forestriverforums.com/for...rain-7821.html
BigDTx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2011, 08:56 AM   #5

you will end up with a outfit like this, keep it closed.
Old 03-23-2011, 09:13 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Danielflading View Post
CLOSED, only dump it when it is 3/4 full, if you leave it open then the liquids will drain off and the solids will stay in the tank. you will be left with a mess. See my thread on this issue. I bought a used a camper that the dump valve was left open on and it was not nice

http://www.forestriverforums.com/for...rain-7821.html
Quick question, so if your tank isn't 3/4 full and you want to dump (#1's only in our RV) what should I do?

I feel like our walk through was rushed and not worth wild. We weren't even shown how to empty our tanks.
Previously:
2005 Fleetwood Seapine, 2012 Rockwood Roo
2015 Sunseeker, 2017 Fleetwood Pace Arrow
hockeytownmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2011, 09:33 AM   #7
Moderator Emeritus

With #1s only it is not as critical, but there is still probably toilet paper in there if the toilet is used by a female.

If I don't have enough water in my black tank, I will add water by opening the flush valve. While dry camping, that could be a problem, and will add water until my 1/3 tank light goes out on my fresh water tank.....meaning I still have water in the tank if I need it for something else.

Chap , DW Joy, and Fur Baby Sango
2017 F350 Lariat CCSB, SRW, 4x4, 6.7 PS
2017 Grand Design Reflection 337RLS
MtnGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2011, 10:00 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by hockeytownmom View Post
Quick question, so if your tank isn't 3/4 full and you want to dump (#1's only in our RV) what should I do?

I feel like our walk through was rushed and not worth wild. We weren't even shown how to empty our tanks.
let the potty run untill you enough water in there to flush it all out, then after you have dumped it all, add a few gallons of water and some
RV DIGEST-IT. I never leave the tank dry