Old 04-01-2016, 03:44 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Delco Bobby View Post
Raw glass is cut to size and then tempered.
But you didn't cut tempered glass, you cut RAW glass and then tempered it that's not the same as cutting tempered glass?.....our local glass shop said they did not have the size piece I needed and could NOT cut it from a larger piece of tempered glass, it would have to be ordered to the size needed, .......just like I said before, you can't cut tempered glass.........

fella10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2016, 04:07 PM   #12

Nobody likes to take tempered glass, either. I had a tempered glass outdoor table top. We had a microburst windstorm that tipped it over and it shattered into enough glass to fill a 5 gal bucket. No one would take it, not even the local auto glass shops.

2016 Mini Lite 2503S - tt (2015 - ???)
2011 Traverse LT, 3.6L, FWD
2009 Silverado 1500 Ext Cab, 5.3L, 4x4, 3.73
2016 Silverado 2500HD Dbl Cab, 6.0L 4x4, 4.10
rockfordroo is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2016, 04:13 PM   #13

I should have been clearer. You can order the size needed and then there is no need to attempt to cut tempered glass. They are probably just stocking some standard sizes and don't want to do a custom order.

Not germane but I have used a belt sander to trim tempered glass. Much skill and experience is required but mostly ones guardian angel supervising.

Formerly a 2013 Sunseeker 2250 SLEC.
Delco Bobby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2016, 04:22 PM   #14
Dazed & Confused

It's gotta be a quarter to four
Is it you again coming 'round for more?

Sorry could not resist. Song lyrics just pop into my head like that!

BTW Rod Stewart "Hog Legs"
M&K Hoffman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2016, 04:24 PM   #15

BTW, I suspect the glass shop didn't offer to order a custom size due to the pitfalls involved. Perhaps a wise business decision.

The glass can come in with the dimensions not quite right or it could break upon installation. Or maybe sometime later. They may not want you mad at them if something goes wrong.

Beyond all of the above, I would want a more substantial gasket to absorb the shocks that the door gets from all of the bouncing around while traveling.

You a probably better off with the plastic. And when it gets too scratched up just replace it.

Old 04-01-2016, 04:30 PM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by fella10 View Post
But you didn't cut tempered glass, you cut RAW glass and then tempered it that's not the same as cutting tempered glass?.....our local glass shop said they did not have the size piece I needed and could NOT cut it from a larger piece of tempered glass, it would have to be ordered to the size needed, .......just like I said before, you can't cut tempered glass.........
My first job at the factory was shoveling all the broken tempered glass out of the oven. Tons of it.

Old 04-01-2016, 07:04 PM   #17

I'm in the middle of this very process... door window glass removed, took it to the local glass place... ordered to size, tinted tempered glass. They kept the original glass even after measuring. 5-7 days should be in. Piece of plexyglass taped to the frame on the outside of the door.
Off the road, parked at my sons house, doing some mods to my Minnie Winnie 22r. wish I could add pics but they are on my phone and I'm not that tech savey to send them here. Maybe by the time the glass gets here I'll know how to post pics from the phone. Love this forum even though I didn't buy a forest river. Thanks.
Old 04-01-2016, 07:08 PM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by waianaegal View Post
I'm in the middle of this very process... door window glass removed, took it to the local glass place... ordered to size, tinted tempered glass. They kept the original glass even after measuring. 5-7 days should be in. Piece of plexyglass taped to the frame on the outside of the door.
Off the road, parked at my sons house, doing some mods to my Minnie Winnie 22r. wish I could add pics but they are on my phone and I'm not that tech savey to send them here. Maybe by the time the glass gets here I'll know how to post pics from the phone. Love this forum even though I didn't buy a forest river. Thanks.
I hope that works out well for you. See what the glass shop says about the gasket, especially if they do automotive glass replacement.

Old 04-01-2016, 07:13 PM   #19

Now that I think more about this I should state that in cars the windshield and back window were laminated glass. Two sheets of glass bonded together with vinyl in between for a sandwich.

The side windows are tempered.

If legal, it may be more cost effective and easier to get a piece of laminated glass for the coach door window. The vinyl comes in color so you may have a choice.

Old 04-01-2016, 07:18 PM   #20

thanks

Yeah I know the tiny bit of what really looked like caulking wasn't much and there is a lot more room between the interior frame that holds the glass in and the "hole" cut into the door. I will be adding more insulation to the empty space.
For coverage I've hung a spring tension rod above the door hanging a room darkening insulated curtain in front of the door and it just slides to one side during the day while the door is open and being used. While wintering in central New Mexico with temps down to 11 degrees I found that the curtain helped contain drafts from the door steps.
I full time in my little class c but it's only me and the 4 legged navigating pooch. I also volunteer at National Wildlife Refuges. What a life.

Tags
door