Old 07-07-2016, 10:34 PM   #21

Solar rocks

It doesn't take much to start with solar, and with reasonable use, it isn't hard to keep your batteries charged. It is worth it just so you don't have to plug in your trailer when you're not using it. We spent two weeks from NM to Yellowstone, and never plugged in. We have a 100 watt panel on the roof and another 30 watt panel on a tether. Only had to use the tethered one when it rained for 3 days.

Old 07-07-2016, 11:22 PM   #22

I find it a little ironic when folks try to justify the cost of solar and then conclude it is uneconomical.

If we all considered economics, none of us would be camping. How many nights in hotel does a $65,000 1 ton pickup and a $35,000 5th wheel buy? (Edit: I know not everyone has 100k invested)

Solar, to me, complements RV'ing. It is all about freedom. As a boondocker, I camp away from civilization. I usually don't have cell coverage, no wifi, no text, no data, no TV, and often no radio station reception. Adding solar gives me freedom from the cord.

So shading hurts solar output, Captain Obvious. Guess what, lack of wind hurts wind generator output ;-)

Old 07-08-2016, 11:23 PM   #23

Don't get me wrong, I'm still going to toss a couple panels on my roof.....

2016 Sabre 36QBOK
2015 Ram 3500 CUMMINS
Old 07-18-2016, 04:25 PM   #24

Inverter

I'm getting mixed answers. I have FR3 and looking to install 200 Watts of Solar. Do I need an inverter ? Some say as long as I keep batteries charged I'm Ok/ Confused
Old 07-18-2016, 04:42 PM   #25

Converter & Inverter

It is confusing. The converter comes with the trailer and converts 110 power to 12 volt to run the frig, lights, & slides. An inverter does the opposite, but doesn't come with the trailre. It changes 12 volt DC to 110 AC. You only need an inverter if you want to run AC appliances when you're not plugged in. 200 watts and two batteries would run the microwave, toaster, coffee maker, etc. for a short time, which is all you need. Remember to size the inverter to handle your maximum expected load. The closer the inverter's continuous rating is to the actual load the more efficient it is. Some people use a small inverter for small loads and a large one for the large loads.
Old 07-18-2016, 04:48 PM   #26

Continued Knowledge

I have RV not a trailer thus u are saying unless plugged in or running the generator need the inverter/ correct? The inverter would just integrate into current system thus allow current outlet to be used correct.

Bear
Old 07-18-2016, 05:03 PM   #27

That is correct. I don't use an inverter, so I'm not sure how you'd wire it. I don't need the microwave, toaster, or coffee maker. If you're going to go solar, which I highly recommend, read this blog. https://handybobsolar.wordpress.com/...-quick-answer/
Old 07-18-2016, 05:10 PM   #28

Tnx

Your the best ! Well, I need my coffee, microwave and thus need inverter. What is amazing is the cost spread in systems. Looks like I can get 200 watt system with inverter, etc, for between 750 to 2000 / go figure.

Bear
Old 07-18-2016, 06:08 PM   #29

Bear
If you have an RV,there is a good chance you already have an inverter. If you can run 120 volt equipment with the engine and generator off, then you already have one. If not, you will redone big enough to run your microwave. Oversize it slightly,but you won't be able to run other things at the same time unless you go really big.

Cut the inverter off when you don't need it. It takes power even when there is no load

2005 Coachmen Sportscoach Encore 380DS
2014 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon Unlimited
CharlieS3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2016, 06:13 PM   #30

Stupid

I have a FR3 2114 I just purchased/ I realy do not know and thus I guess I need to remove all doubt and ask on normal thread/ Jeez

Bear

Tags
solar