Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-05-2015, 12:48 PM   #21

OK, I'll ask, what's mifi?
RVPP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2015, 01:06 PM   #22

Verizon charges $100 US for 18 gigs....or about 10 netflix movies and nothing else. They're prolly the best coverage here but other services do offer 20gigs for less. Sprint for example offers $60 a month unlimited data...but only while you are on their network.
Walmart offers unlimited for the same but throttles it to slow speed after 5 gigs.
2019 Vespa Primavera 150's (pair)
camaraderie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2015, 01:12 PM   #23

Quote:
Originally Posted by RVPP View Post
OK, I'll ask, what's mifi?
In this context it is either your cell phone or a device sold by a cell provider that acts as a wifi hotspot for your other devices like pc's & tablets to provide a local wifi connection. You pay your cell provider for the data that those other devices use through that hotspot
Some people prefer a separate mifi device instead of usint their phones hotspot capability since they may need to use the phone for other things.

Old 10-05-2015, 01:56 PM   #24

I totally agree with Old Coot!! They usually have signs in the campground office, the wifi is for people to search their e-mail and check their bank accounts. It is not intended for all that other stuff - uses up all the bandwidth, I always have a devil of a time connecting to campground wifi. We actually on many occasions pack up the laptop and head to the public library to use wifi. Want to watch movies - BUY DVD'S!!!!
nikita is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2015, 02:12 PM   #25
7 Year Class A RV'er

Have to agree with others in that the WiFi at most campgrounds simply won't support any type of streaming video. They typically barely support enough data flow for browsing and email. I am fairly fluent and experienced with WiFi (not an expert by any means) and gave looked at many options but they all come down to the total bandwidth that the campground connection offers. A lot of campgrounds, in fact, block access to streaming services for just that reason.

Gigi, Poppy and Sadie Lady...On the road, but not full time!
conceptumator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2015, 03:14 PM   #26
Always Learning

This thread is almost as good as the poor guy who wanted to listen to music outside.

Or those folks who leave their lights on.

Or people with dogs.

Or smokers.

Or overweight towers. (Heh, not fat people- people who tow over their ratings.)
ependydad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2015, 03:22 PM   #27

Quote:
Originally Posted by ependydad View Post
This thread is almost as good as the poor guy who wanted to listen to music outside.

Or those folks who leave their lights on.

Or people with dogs.

Or smokers.

Or overweight towers. (Heh, not fat people- people who tow over their ratings.)
You forgot a big one: do you use your toilet. And as a sub section to that: do you put toilet paper in your toilet.
Evereddie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2015, 03:32 PM   #28

Question

Wondering (?)

Thought the idea of camping was to enjoy nature and get away from your everyday routines.
We very seldom watch tv...maybe news and weather.

CJnDD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2015, 03:37 PM   #29

Quote:
Originally Posted by camaraderie View Post
If you aren't gonna pay for your streaming on your cell phone account...don't make the rest of us pay for it by using the park wifi.
X2
PhoneDude 8289 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2015, 03:54 PM   #30

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dianne Doiron View Post
Wondering (?)

Thought the idea of camping was to enjoy nature and get away from your everyday routines.

To be fair, sometimes it IS getting away from everyday routines to be able to curl up and watch a movie before bed.

My advice to the OP is to get a better plan for your mifi so you can stream to your Roku using your own cell data or become a fan of RedBox and pick up some cheap DVD rentals from the closest town when you go in for ice and milk. You can return them to any RedBox.
2013 RAM 2500 CTD
2018 Prime Time Crusader 319RKT
Loraura is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2015, 04:09 PM   #31
Always Learning

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dianne Doiron View Post
Wondering (?)

Not all of us are camping.
Old 10-05-2015, 04:23 PM   #32

My suggestion would be to take content with you to stream to your Roku. I use a small mini computer with Plex loaded that will stream to my Roku content that I copied from DVD/BlueRay to the Plex system. I usually carry 100+ movies and a number of favored TV shows. I do not need to stream from the camp wifi. A simple system would be a laptop with the Plex server software installed and copied movies. That and the Plex app on the Roku can satisfy entertainment needs as you stream your own content. including the ability to stream to all my devices on the same network with the Plex app.

Plex Media Server

my 2 cents
fr1rd831 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2015, 06:17 PM   #33
Engineer of Crazy Train

I use a pocket router, and have movies on a memory stick. I configure the pocket router as a DLNA server. I then stream it to a Amazon Fire Stick.
Locomotive Engineer
Nights Camping --- 2015 - 19 Camped | Winterized -- 2014 -18
Come read my Camping Blogs
ChooChooMan74 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2015, 09:38 PM   #34
Always Learning

Quote:
Originally Posted by Evereddie View Post
You forgot a big one: do you use your toilet. And as a sub section to that: do you put toilet paper in your toilet.

I also forgot the Walmart threads (lord help you if you do and oh man, if you do it wrong!).
Old 10-05-2015, 09:46 PM   #35
Mod free 5er

Quote:
Originally Posted by ependydad View Post
Not all of us are camping.
Regardless, still should not hog a cg wifi and make others suffer. There's always McDonalds.
OldCoot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2015, 10:01 PM   #36
Always Learning

Quote:
Originally Posted by OldCoot View Post
Regardless, still should not hog a cg wifi and make others suffer. There's always McDonalds.

Great post. Super helpful to the OP. 2 thumbs up.
Old 10-06-2015, 04:39 AM   #37

Wow. Lots of good advice, lots of people highly against streaming and taking bandwidth away. For folks suggesting redbox or dvds, my intent was to use it to stream news/sports via some of the Roku channels. I already have a ton of dvds. So the only time I plan to use it is when cable TV is lacking. And yes, I am not really "camping" as I work on the road and campgrounds are really just where I park. For folks suggesting I'm selfish for hogging bandwidth, I'm sure we are not very far away before higher speed and more bandwidth will be available at all campgrounds. More younger people with their kids are buying RVs more than ever before, so the customers will simply demand it. I was at a campground 2 weeks ago and they offered 2 services...free slow internet, or $10 for the week for high speed to stream. All the selfless people can do the free option...the selfish can pay 10 bucks.
jjlavin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2015, 09:49 AM   #38

Quote:
For folks suggesting I'm selfish for hogging bandwidth, I'm sure we are not very far away before higher speed and more bandwidth will be available at all campgrounds. More younger people with their kids are buying RVs more than ever before, so the customers will simply demand it.
First, I'm glad you got the info you needed. Second, I entirely agree with you that campground wifi is inadequate and demand will drive improvement or options in the future. Finally... in the meantime... and NOT directed specifically at you... video use of wifi bandwidth in MOST parks is not possible without impacting the ability of others to use the bandwith available for basic needs. I've just completed a 3 month round trip coast to coast and staying ONLY in parks which promise "wi-fi" so I am very sensitive to this issue having seen the impact of this and been driven to use my phone as a hot spot and exceed my data limits for 2 of the 3 months. Cost to me...an extra $30 bucks. Cost to me in time...many frustrating hours. Multiply that by the number of people out there who NEED to communicate and can't and the number of people who have to pay more of their $$ for inconsiderate "privileged" users...and you may understand why there is so much vehemence on this issue. I was trying to make it clear for all who may not realize it that hi bandwidth use on campground wifi systems is selfish and inappropriate.
Old 10-06-2015, 09:56 AM   #39

streaming at campgrounds

Quote:
Originally Posted by jjlavin View Post
Hi all,
I'm a pretty technical guy, but when it comes to wifi, networks, repeaters vs extenders, routers, etc. I'm not that knowledgeable. I've done days of research and just trying to get all the terms down to ensure I setup the right system that meets my needs.

Here is my problem:
I have a Roku that I love and wish to stream more when I'm at campgrounds. Currently I have a Mifi and (while I work for one of the big telecom companies) the discounts I receive are good, but not enough to make it cheap. So I want to continue to use the Mifi as a backup, but connect to campground wifi when (a) fast enough and (b) able to. The "able to" part is where I struggle.

If a campground has a straight open wifi with no password, the Roku connects no problem. But if it requires some on screen setup/registration/password that is not part of the standard WPA, WPS2, whatever password, Roku has no ability to do an on screen "browser" that let's me configure it there.

So I'm looking for some help. What device (s) do I need to hookup to fix my problem? I'm assuming I'm need some device that I connect my laptop to, do all the wifi configuration, then connect my roku to that device on a separate, private network. But...I don't know.

Any help?
Hi,
We usually have Grand kids camping with us in the summer so movie dvds get to be a pain. So what this Grandma does is use software called PlayLater. While at home I load up a external hard drive with netflix, amazon ,video, etc... or dvds we already own. The PlayLater records the streamed movies, tv shows etc... and allows you to watch anytime via laptop connected to TV with HDMI cable. There is a button on the laptop to switch from lcd screen to monitor (TV) or both. Also there is a company called FreedomPop (they use cell towers and are cheaper than other data plans) that you could check into. I use them for the grand kids tablets and handheld games, saves the data on verizon for us grownups. No affiliation with these companies other than happy customer.
KarenDLS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2015, 10:18 AM   #40
7 Year Class A RV'er

Not a matter of selfis h or selfless, just a matter of not available. We're sitting in Nashville KOA right now for a 10 night stay. Stay here about 30 days per year. They upgraded their WiFi last year and have about 8 access points scattered through the park. Right now they're at about 65% capacity (my guesstimate) and we haven't been,n able to get even basic internet connectivity for two days now. So slow even MSN, email and Facebook have trouble. Another park we spend about the same amount of time each year in is much smaller and offers faster internet for a fee. I tried to upgrade last year and was told just to connect to it as it was really the same connection, just a second access point! Campground owners and operators simply don't understand WiFi. Until they do, these conditions will continue. But hey, I'm retired now and refuse to worry about it! ��

Gigi, Poppy and Sadie Lady...On the road, but not full time!
conceptumator is offline   Reply With Quote