Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-07-2015, 04:57 PM   #61
CCRVOC

Quote:
Originally Posted by ependydad View Post
Wifi Ranger solves all of your problems. It's spendy, but it'll do what you need. Get the Elite Pack and Google for a code for some percentage off.

All of your devices connect to it. It connects to either the campground wifi or your mifi.
X2
2012 Dodge 3500, SLT Big Horn,CC,DRW,Cummins HO, EB, 4x4, 3:73, Retrax Pro, Q20, TST507, Garmin RV760, Sleek 4g
2014 Cedar Creek, 36CKTS, 1000w Solar, TriStar MPPT 60, Magnum 2000w, PI EMS, WiFi Ranger Elite, Sleek 4g, Wingard DTV Traveler
Retired Army in 1995, and now retired in 2016
Ramblin Recks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2015, 12:57 AM   #62
Engineer of Crazy Train

Quote:
A trick that I just learned... my kids want their internet and media content when they're in the truck. Adding the WifiRanger boosts the signal of both of those things so I can now leave everything installed in the camper vs. having to move the wifi hotspot and media drive to the truck each time we travel (and back again to the camper when we get where we are going).
I do the same. I keep the DLNA server/router going, and she can connect to it and watch movies while on the road. I have it hard wired into the 12V, so it is always on. The high powered radio on the roof is wired to 120v, and only works when plugged in.
Locomotive Engineer
Nights Camping --- 2015 - 19 Camped | Winterized -- 2014 -18
Come read my Camping Blogs
ChooChooMan74 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2015, 11:00 AM   #63

Quote:
Originally Posted by Evereddie View Post
You forgot a big one: do you use your toilet. And as a sub section to that: do you put toilet paper in your toilet.

It never ends!
Nights Camped: 2013 - 24 • 2014 - 42 • 2015 - 56 • Jul 2016 - Fulltime •
BamaBob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2015, 11:10 AM   #64

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dianne Doiron View Post
Wondering (?)

Thought the idea of camping was to enjoy nature and get away from your everyday routines.
We very seldom watch tv...maybe news and weather.

One of the biggest hoots at the Goshen Rally is when SYE fires up his movie projector and plays RV The Movie or The Long Long Trailer on a 30' screen for the folks at the Tiki Hut
Old 10-08-2015, 11:14 AM   #65

Quote:
I also forgot the Walmart threads (lord help you if you do and oh man, if you do it wrong!).
Ah HA!! A new thread Doug!

So...is it OK to stream movies while overnighting at a Wal Mart using their free WIFI while using the toilet in your camper that is being towed by a 1/2T truck

Old 10-08-2015, 11:23 AM   #66

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChooChooMan74 View Post
I agree with Doug. I made my own with similar parts. I do notice an improvement at places like Normandy Farms, but there is only so much bandwidth available for 100s of sites.
Perhaps.....

I have seen the DIY systems and the less spendy systems. They all perform "OK"

I have yet to see one of these systems perform to the level of a WIFI Ranger -- that was the point I was trying to make; poor wording on my part
Old 10-08-2015, 12:12 PM   #67
Always Learning

Quote:
Originally Posted by BamaBob View Post
I have yet to see one of these systems perform to the level of a WIFI Ranger -- that was the point I was trying to make; poor wording on my part

Actually, I have. Three different fulltiming friends, 3 different setups, and all are solid performers. One was a Ubiquiti setup; another used a Cradlepoint router; and he 3rd was just a hodge-podge of parts built to work together.

I still standby- the WifiRanger is the easiest to setup. It's literally plug in and go. But, there's no honest to goodness claims that its the "best" especially at 2-5x the cost of other setups out there.
Old 10-08-2015, 07:19 PM   #68

Quote:
Actually, I have. Three different fulltiming friends, 3 different setups, and all are solid performers. One was a Ubiquiti setup; another used a Cradlepoint router; and he 3rd was just a hodge-podge of parts built to work together.

I still standby- the WifiRanger is the easiest to setup. It's literally plug in and go. But, there's no honest to goodness claims that its the "best" especially at 2-5x the cost of other setups out there.
We mostly pay the piper and use our Verizon Mifi which works great. I bought a Jefra Tech Wifi system after doing some research. Only used it a couple of times but it did help but not the easiest setup. Any feedback on that system? Here is a comparison discussion about Jefra and Wifi ranger. After reading that discussion and the thread here I'm thinking that the Wifi ranger might have been the better choice even though it costs more.
RV.Net Open Roads Forum: Technology Corner: Wifi Ranger vs JEFA Tech vs Unknown...

BTW Doug, our Fort Wideness trip that was cancelled last Feb is back on. Going first full week in December.
Evereddie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2015, 09:41 PM   #69

We definitely don't use the campground for streaming. It really isn't designed for that in most places. We use our MiFi for that, although it requires a cell booster at times, depending on where we are. Our 30GB data plan with 5 phones/tablets runs about $225.
Weboost Cell Phone Booster Kit
Lincoln11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2015, 10:38 PM   #70
Always Learning

Quote:
We mostly pay the piper and use our Verizon Mifi which works great. I bought a Jefra Tech Wifi system after doing some research. Only used it a couple of times but it did help but not the easiest setup. Any feedback on that system? Here is a comparison discussion about Jefra and Wifi ranger. After reading that discussion and the thread here I'm thinking that the Wifi ranger might have been the better choice even though it costs more.
RV.Net Open Roads Forum: Technology Corner: Wifi Ranger vs JEFA Tech vs Unknown...

BTW Doug, our Fort Wideness trip that was cancelled last Feb is back on. Going first full week in December.

I don't know much about be Jefa Tech setup. I do like this Wifi ranger. I haven't tried to do much boosting of distant signals yet. I poked around with it at Walmart, but the Home Depot wifi was pretty crappy. Which, using it while IN Home Depot before, I could have told you that!

Great news to hear you guys are going to the Fort in December. That's a great time of year- the holiday crowds haven't kicked in yet, but the decorations are all up. We actually are headed back this February (16-23). We might be at Disneyland about the same time. We can compare notes.
Old 10-09-2015, 06:59 AM   #71

Quote:
I don't know much about be Jefa Tech setup. I do like this Wifi ranger. I haven't tried to do much boosting of distant signals yet. I poked around with it at Walmart, but the Home Depot wifi was pretty crappy. Which, using it while IN Home Depot before, I could have told you that!

Great news to hear you guys are going to the Fort in December. That's a great time of year- the holiday crowds haven't kicked in yet, but the decorations are all up. We actually are headed back this February (16-23). We might be at Disneyland about the same time. We can compare notes.
Ya, interesting comparison.

BTW, your avatar pic is your best one yet!
Evereddie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2015, 09:48 AM   #72
Always Learning

Quote:
Ya, interesting comparison.

BTW, your avatar pic is your best one yet!

Is it sad that I had to go looking at it? This was the kids and me at Monument Rocks in Kansas. Surprisingly beautiful place.
Old 11-13-2015, 11:12 AM   #73

I ended up getting the wifiranger. Holy cow this thing is awesome. Staying in Georgia right now. My phones and tablets only got around 1.5 mbps download when connected right to the wifi itself. When I go thru wifiranger? 7.5-8 mbps download!!! Awesome.
jjlavin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2015, 11:30 AM   #74
CCRVOC

Quote:
Originally Posted by jjlavin View Post
I ended up getting the wifiranger. Holy cow this thing is awesome. Staying in Georgia right now. My phones and tablets only got around 1.5 mbps download when connected right to the wifi itself. When I go thru wifiranger? 7.5-8 mbps download!!! Awesome.
Yes. Good investment imo. I really like mine.

Sent from my SCH-I605 using Tapatalk
2012 Dodge 3500, SLT Big Horn,CC,DRW,Cummins HO, EB, 4x4, 3:73, Retrax Pro, Q20, TST507, Garmin RV760, Sleek 4g
2014 Cedar Creek, 36CKTS, 1000w Solar, TriStar MPPT 60, Magnum 2000w, PI EMS, WiFi Ranger Elite, Sleek 4g, Wingard DTV Traveler
Retired Army in 1995, and now retired in 2016
Ramblin Recks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2016, 12:23 PM   #75

You might be interested in the new Western digital and Nvidia Shield devices

http://www.pcmag.com/news/345506/ple...estern-digital
fr1rd831 is offline   Reply With Quote