Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-04-2015, 08:08 PM   #1
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2014
Posts: 109
Wifi connectivity for Roku

Hi all,
I'm a pretty technical guy, but when it comes to wifi, networks, repeaters vs extenders, routers, etc. I'm not that knowledgeable. I've done days of research and just trying to get all the terms down to ensure I setup the right system that meets my needs.

Here is my problem:
I have a Roku that I love and wish to stream more when I'm at campgrounds. Currently I have a Mifi and (while I work for one of the big telecom companies) the discounts I receive are good, but not enough to make it cheap. So I want to continue to use the Mifi as a backup, but connect to campground wifi when (a) fast enough and (b) able to. The "able to" part is where I struggle.

If a campground has a straight open wifi with no password, the Roku connects no problem. But if it requires some on screen setup/registration/password that is not part of the standard WPA, WPS2, whatever password, Roku has no ability to do an on screen "browser" that let's me configure it there.

So I'm looking for some help. What device (s) do I need to hookup to fix my problem? I'm assuming I'm need some device that I connect my laptop to, do all the wifi configuration, then connect my roku to that device on a separate, private network. But...I don't know.

Any help?
__________________

__________________
jjlavin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2015, 08:23 PM   #2
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2015
Location: West Michigan
Posts: 418
Quote:
Originally Posted by jjlavin View Post
Hi all,
I'm a pretty technical guy, but when it comes to wifi, networks, repeaters vs extenders, routers, etc. I'm not that knowledgeable. I've done days of research and just trying to get all the terms down to ensure I setup the right system that meets my needs.

Here is my problem:
I have a Roku that I love and wish to stream more when I'm at campgrounds. Currently I have a Mifi and (while I work for one of the big telecom companies) the discounts I receive are good, but not enough to make it cheap. So I want to continue to use the Mifi as a backup, but connect to campground wifi when (a) fast enough and (b) able to. The "able to" part is where I struggle.

If a campground has a straight open wifi with no password, the Roku connects no problem. But if it requires some on screen setup/registration/password that is not part of the standard WPA, WPS2, whatever password, Roku has no ability to do an on screen "browser" that let's me configure it there.

So I'm looking for some help. What device (s) do I need to hookup to fix my problem? I'm assuming I'm need some device that I connect my laptop to, do all the wifi configuration, then connect my roku to that device on a separate, private network. But...I don't know.

Any help?
here is a link that i think will help you.
Internet Mods in my Forester

hope this helps Tim
__________________

__________________
TimVWulp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2015, 08:35 PM   #3
Site Team
 
wmtire's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: Northeast Louisiana
Posts: 15,047
Quote:
Originally Posted by jjlavin View Post
I'm assuming I'm need some device that I connect my laptop to, do all the wifi configuration, then connect my roku to that device on a separate, private network. But...I don't know.

Any help?
Yes, the easy route is to have your own router connected to the laptop, to broadcast the campgrounds internet connection to the Roku.

https://blog.roku.com/blog/2011/09/0...r-roku-player/

It's kind of like what you are already doing with your mifi, but instead using the router connected to your laptop.
__________________
2011 Flagstaff 831 RLBSS

Ducks are just all-terrain chickens
wmtire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2015, 08:44 PM   #4
Fulltime family RVer
 
ependydad's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Posts: 14,779
Wifi Ranger solves all of your problems. It's spendy, but it'll do what you need. Get the Elite Pack and Google for a code for some percentage off.

All of your devices connect to it. It connects to either the campground wifi or your mifi.
__________________
2012 Ram 3500 DRW/crew cab/long bed/4x4/4.10 gears pulling an early 2013 Sabre 36QBOK
Checkout my site for RVing tips, tricks, and info | My family and I have fulltimed since June 2015
ependydad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2015, 08:58 PM   #5
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2013
Posts: 21
We have Roku, Amazon Prime, and Netflix plug-ins (look like USB memory sticks). They work GREAT at home, but I have yet to find a campground Wi-Fi that will provide the adequate data stream except LATE at night or EARLY in the morning.

What I usually do is to wire tether (faster than Wi-Fi) my laptop to my Samsung S5 phone (Verizon + 20 Gig data plan). I have the above streaming 3 services loaded to my laptop.

I run Roku/Amazon/Netflix on my laptop&phone and run an HDMI cable from the laptop to the TV input. Close the laptop to prevent display.

Have not yet had a problem connecting and streaming video.

Tim
__________________
Healeyman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2015, 09:01 PM   #6
Site Team
 
wmtire's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: Northeast Louisiana
Posts: 15,047
Another option is software to put on your laptop that makes a virtual router so to speak.

This youtube video explains it and you can try the software for free to test:



or perhaps a usb wi-fi adapter on your laptop:



Just giving more ideas to consider.
__________________
2011 Flagstaff 831 RLBSS

Ducks are just all-terrain chickens
wmtire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2015, 09:05 PM   #7
Mod free 5er
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Concord, NC
Posts: 24,215
IMO, streaming from a campground wifi is being extremely self centered as it prevents others from being able to get any access.
__________________
OldCoot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2015, 09:07 PM   #8
Site Team
 
wmtire's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: Northeast Louisiana
Posts: 15,047
Quote:
Originally Posted by Healeyman View Post
We have Roku, Amazon Prime, and Netflix plug-ins (look like USB memory sticks). They work GREAT at home, but I have yet to find a campground Wi-Fi that will provide the adequate data stream except LATE at night or EARLY in the morning.
Tim
X2 with Tim, the only campground internet I have had that you could stream was in the Arkansas state parks (but they had it subcontracted to a private company that charged you access)

In Louisiana, all the state parks block the streaming sites, but have never tried it in the way we are discussing. May have to test it on my next trip.

BTW, I love my Roku.
__________________
2011 Flagstaff 831 RLBSS

Ducks are just all-terrain chickens
wmtire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2015, 09:10 PM   #9
Senior Member
 
Kenny kustom's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2015
Posts: 3,340
Quote:
Originally Posted by OldCoot View Post
IMO, streaming from a campground wifi is being extremely self centered as it prevents others from being able to get any access.

Yea. X2


2008 F350 CCSB V10
2016 Sabre 36QBOK
__________________
2017 Dynamax Isata 4
Kenny kustom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2015, 11:26 PM   #10
Senior Member
 
Evereddie's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Location: Pfafftown NC
Posts: 2,068
We have a Roku and use it camping. However we have not found a campground yet that has the bandwidth to stream for any amount of time. Some I believe block streaming. We use our Verizon hotspot but here is a trick to try so the Roku doesn't use nearly as much bandwidth as you could otherwise. In the 'setup' menu of the Roku we set the Roku to output as if it were hooked to a standard resolution TV set instead of high resolution. The picture is still great and in a camper environment you can't really tell the difference. Uses WAY less bandwidth from the hotspot then using high def.
__________________

__________________
Evereddie is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off



» Virginia Campgrounds

Reviews provided by




ForestRiverForums.com is not in any way associated with Forest River, Inc. or its associated RV manufacturing divisions.


Copyright 2002- Social Knowledge, LLC All Rights Reserved.

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 03:13 AM.