Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-13-2014, 12:23 AM   #1

WIND!!

Does anyone have a suggestion on how to best deal with swaying in the wind when parked?
I have a BAL fast jack, how efficient are the JT strong arms or similar product?
Fifth wheel 34ft Sabre
5ersabre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2014, 11:01 AM   #2
Ret E-9 Anchor-clanker

I can't say about the BAL fast jack, I do have the strong arm stabilizer kit installed, and I have forgotten to lock the stabilizers. It doesn't take long to realize it. The DW can walk from front to back with me sitting in the slider to feel movement and that I have forgot to secure all points. I couldn't go without them now.
donanddona is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2014, 09:28 PM   #3

Instead of spending a boat load of cash on stabilizer things you can use 2 small hydraulic jacks. Place the jack on each side of the trailer at the area around the axles. You only have to jack them up slightly. You want to take the pressure off of the suspension. Don't take the wheels off the ground, that is too much. Also, use something to keep your stabilizer jacks as short as possible. I use wood blocks under the stabilizers to try and make sure they are not extended any further than necessary. They flex too much when fully extended.

2008 Chevy Silverado 2500 Duramax Crewcab
Jeep Commander - sold
Flagstaff V-Lite WRB26
kz08h5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2014, 06:09 AM   #4

I have the steadyfast system and really like it

If you have the power stabilizers you want them as long as possible. The closer to vertical they are the better so you don't bend them

Linc
missing_link is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2014, 06:59 AM   #5
Mod free 5er

JT Strongarm type stabilizers either factory built or homemade work great. I reinforced the flimsy legs on my power stab jacks as they will bend very easily if not extended as much as possible and they will flex. I added a set of modified power stab jacks in front of the axles, replaced the 1/4" strap braces on the legs to 3/4" black pipe with flattened ends on the stab jacks and added a step support and a pair of Bal X Chocks.
Old 05-14-2014, 10:31 PM   #6
Ret E-9 Anchor-clanker

I'm sure the hydraulic jacks under the mid-frame help. The JT Strongarm that Oldcoot uses really help with the side to side stabilization. Take the outside front corner and move the TT side-to-side. Then lock the JT Stabs. I'm sure anyone that has them will demo them for you (I would).
donanddona is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2014, 12:19 AM   #7

Thanks for all the help! I've looked into the systems and plan on welding together my own version with a bit more HD components.
5ersabre is offline   Reply With Quote