Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-22-2015, 04:00 PM   #1

Wind deflector

While looking at a gizmo that moves your trailer via remote control I came across these wind deflectors. Does anyone use one? If yes, are they worth it? If not, why not? What model would you recommend?

Bonnie
dudleydoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2015, 06:32 AM   #2

I had one for my large SUV. Purchased a truck with new TT don't use it now send me PM if interested.

Sent from my iPhone using Forest River Forums
10Boomer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2015, 06:40 AM   #3

I used to use one for many years. Found that it didn't make a huge difference in towing the trailer or added fuel mileage. It did keep some of the bugs off the front of the trailer. Maybe I was expecting more than a couple miles per gallon increase, but I didn't see any change at all. Just another gizmo to keep installing and removing when towing a trailer. My personal opinion....they just are not worth the cost.
Fred H. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2015, 07:35 AM   #4

I have been looking at them as well but more to keep road debris and insects from hitting the glass front of my trailer. One interesting model is the Australian-made Aeroplus claiming to show it works by being tested and proven by an independent testing lab in England.
Aeroplus | Roof-Mounted Wind Deflector | Trailer Accessories | Purple Line

Aviator Wright-Flyer#1908
1996 Holiday Rambler
2012 Ram 2500HD CTD
KenHwy61 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2015, 09:59 AM   #5

Ken, I too have been looking at that Purple Line one. I started out looking at their set up for moving the trailer with a handle held remote control. Oh so many gadgets out there.

Bonnie
Old 05-18-2015, 07:40 AM   #6

I have been looking at wind deflectors before we even purchased our TT. Most reviews say minimal improvement in MGP but great bug screen. I'm pulling a 5r with 1/2 ton truck and since discovering weight calculation web sites I've been fighting the weight balance game since and a bigger truck just isn't feasible right now. However started thinking about these again last night and am wondering exactly how much affect these would have on the tow vehicle weight numbers. Hum - NASCAR restricts size of rear spoiler because .........?

Retired and gotta think about something!!!
Semi-Retired February 3, 2014
Bob & Cindy
Lvn2tvl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2015, 07:52 AM   #7

to 10boomer do you still have the wind deflector
ernestmiller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2015, 07:15 AM   #8

Yes

Old 05-26-2015, 07:47 AM   #9

I found one on Craig's list a couple years ago. I paid $75 for it. It works! I gained approx 1 mpg and it decreased the drag. I went from high 6's to near 8!!! The truck used to have a hard time staying in OD in a headwind, with the deflector the truck rarely drops to 3rd except for a hill. The key is placement and pitch. Mine is at the very rear of my X. If you have a pick up and a TT the wing will not be far enough back to work much if any at all. Mine is an older fiberglass deflector with aluminum framing. I would say late 70's or 80's? It is much bigger than the plastic collapsible ones available now!

Better to have a bad day of camping than a good day at work!
Dodge Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2015, 07:59 AM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by 10Boomer View Post
Yes

would it work on this ?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	1432645138407.jpg
Views:	376
Size:	63.4 KB
ID:	78094  
ernestmiller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2015, 10:32 AM   #11

Dudleydoo, When I saw your initial comment about "wind deflectors", my first thought was Airtab fuel savers. I saw them being installed on a Coach parked next to me at the CG. I saw these funny looking V-shaped tabs being placed all around the back end of this gentleman's coach. Here is the website. Airtab | Aerodynamic Fuel Savers | Welcome . If the fuel saving numbers are correct and legitimate, and they enhance stability of your RV, then they might be worth the investment. They would certainly be cheaper than the Air Deflector mentioned. vr/ Mac
2015 Sanibel 3901
OK-3 Wire...Living the dream
Gonetothedogs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2015, 11:44 AM   #12
Blog: RVroadtripper.com

Actually, the aerotabs is about the same cost. I counted the number needed to do the recommended setup for my fiver and it was almost $300. I couldnt tell if the airfoil woul work for a pickup truck 5er combo but the tabs do. All the realworld reviews I read on tabs said they saw no economy gain but all said they felt a significant sway and drag performance gain.
Maxxis 235/80/16E; AirBags w/AirLift1; mor/Ryde Rubber Pinbox; Andersen UltimateII Alum. 5erhitch on Reese Flipball w/Curt 4" offset; LCI Ground Control3; King Dishtailgater; Traveling with 10' Portabote;
hbillsmith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2015, 12:57 PM   #13

Here is my air deflector. I had it painted to match the lower cladding on my Excursion.

Old 06-04-2015, 11:19 PM   #14

Still have mine pm me

Old 06-05-2015, 04:15 AM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dodge Guy View Post
Here is my air deflector. I had it painted to match the lower cladding on my Excursion.

I don't recognize this deflector. Can you tell me what brand it is and where you got it? Thanks.
BumpyCamper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2015, 09:58 PM   #16

I don't know the brand or who or when it was made. It looks like it could be from the 70`s? maybe early 80`s. it is in very good shape. it was originally held on by 4 nylon straps. which kind of sounds like how things were held down in the 70`s and 80`s. there are no markings on it anywhere. I looked all over it. the guy had 2, this one and a smaller one about 6 inches narrower and 3 inches shorter. I only bought this one. they were both made by the same company, just 2 different sizes. the angle is adjustable.

Old 06-06-2015, 05:53 AM   #17

Gonetothedogs,
Thank you for the information on the tabs, I'll look into them. Our carrier rails that run front to back are way to high for the wind deflectors. We were finally able to get one company to admit it. Camping World took the unit back and even credited us the shipping charges.
Digby (Lhasa Apso)
2014 Shamrock 23IKSS
Old 06-08-2015, 12:00 AM   #18

Mine was made to fit the rails, sits on roof and around rails, pm me.

Old 06-09-2015, 09:03 AM   #19

10Boomer,
Would you mind sending a picture of your unit? We are still up in the air about this type of deflector or the AirTabs.
Digby (Lhasa Apso)
2014 Shamrock 23IKSS