Old 05-24-2011, 04:00 PM   #1

window covers

Just wondering if anyone has made anything to cover windows with when the tt is not in use?
Our new microlite only has curtains and no blinds at most windows. Our tt will be stored outside and uncovered in the summer mostly (we will cover for winter) and I am concerned that the sun will fade the fabric on the furniture and/or the curtains as they are not lined. FYI our windows are tinted if that helps in suggestions.
I have considered using car shades cut to fit my windows and velcro to attach...but wondered if anyone here has done anything similar
Thanks in advance for any suggestions!!

Old 05-24-2011, 04:05 PM   #2
Site Team - Lou

Sounds like a very inexpensive way of doing it. I like it.

Lou and Laura with Bella - German Short Hair Pointer
2008 GMC Sierra 2500HD Crewcab SB Allison Duramax
2010 Flagstaff 8526RLWS - Superglide 3300
HAM CALLSIGN - KC3FFW
Herk7769 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2011, 06:51 PM   #3

I cut multipurpose foil (scissors) to cover the windows for sleeping. Used velcro strips and cut to size to hold in place. CW has it at the best price I could find. Used on door windows and bedroom window for blocking light when I want to sleep late. HC
Multi-Purpose Foil - Product - Camping World
Old 05-24-2011, 08:47 PM   #4

I made covers for the bedroom windows , as well as the vent which is right over the bed.
I used heavy black canvas and snaps. Just screw snap onto window (vent) frame, and attach oppoosite one to the canvas. I used eight snaps per opening. Works like a charm.
Old 05-25-2011, 09:12 AM   #5

I like the snap idea...I also thought about magnet...if the trim on the windows is magnetic? forgot to check last night...I was trying to avoid sticky velcro on the frames if possible
Thanks for the feedback!
Old 05-25-2011, 09:56 AM   #6
Site Team - Lou

Quote:
Originally Posted by beanpup View Post
I like the snap idea...I also thought about magnet...if the trim on the windows is magnetic? forgot to check last night...I was trying to avoid sticky velcro on the frames if possible
Thanks for the feedback!
Not metal. plastic. I used velcro but it is not ideal.
Heat makes the velcor fall. I like the snaps.

Lou and Laura with Bella - German Short Hair Pointer
2008 GMC Sierra 2500HD Crewcab SB Allison Duramax
2010 Flagstaff 8526RLWS - Superglide 3300
HAM CALLSIGN - KC3FFW
Herk7769 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2011, 10:29 AM   #7

yeah...I had the same problem with the old pup using the sticky velcro...it got gooey in the sun and tended to fall apart...but I did have luck with the industrial velcro making a valance for pup doors...maybe it would work...but I like the snap idea as well, if it's not too much modification!
Old 05-25-2011, 11:09 AM   #8
Villa Estate 392FLFB

or like up here in canada. we tape tin foil to the windows to reflect the heat back out in the summer.

Also be careful about putting something up against the window like a sheet etc that does not allow the window to 'breathe' it could break it. extreme heat is violent!
Old 05-31-2011, 08:35 PM   #9

You can buy cling film from a home improvement store that will filter out the majority of the sun's heat and UV rays. You just cut it to fit and peel off the backing. Static will hold it in place. The best part is that since it's lightly timted, you don't have to remove it.
Stevea1956 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2011, 10:02 AM   #10

Our windows are already tinted, but it still gets pretty toasty inside and I was worried about fade. I actually ended up buying a roll of insulation called reflectix...it is basically bubble wrap with a foil finish on the outside. I cut pieces to fit (made a little wider than the actual window) and used black industrial strength velcro to adhere to the window frames (frames are black and you can't even see it there unless you really look). It actually worked great, it looks nice inside and out and I think if we camp in winter they will provide more insulation and cut back on any drafts. I also used foil tape (like used on hvac duct work) and seamed a piece together for the large dinnette window and you can't tell, and if you want to seal the edges after you cut it works for that as well. The roll cost $23 at lowes and was very easy to work with; no frays. I am very pleased and it seems to have made the trailer a lot cooler during the day when parked at home.