Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-24-2010, 07:48 PM   #21
Jan Goldfield

It can be so sexy when you talk dirty like that. LOLOLOL
I like the magic explanation best.
pondlady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2010, 07:53 PM   #22
Moderator Emeritus

I find if I do 3 channel searches, it can really maximize my available channels. After raising the antennae, I do the 1st search without turning the antennae. Then I will do an "add channel" search at 120 degrees either way of the 1st position. Then when flipping through the channels and I come to 1 that pixilates (is that a word ??) or "no digital signal", I know I need to rotate the antennae to tune that channel in.......it had to pick up something during my channel searches.

Chap , DW Joy, and Fur Baby Sango
2017 F350 Lariat CCSB, SRW, 4x4, 6.7 PS
2017 Grand Design Reflection 337RLS
MtnGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2010, 07:56 PM   #23
Site Team - Lou

Quote:
Originally Posted by pondlady View Post
It can be so sexy when you talk dirty like that. LOLOLOL
I like the magic explanation best.
I apologize for my language, but it is a Air Force "Technical Term" for a special kind of magic.
Herk7769 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2010, 07:58 PM   #24
Jan Goldfield

Your language does not offend this woman who spend her earliest years growing up next door to a Coast Guard Station. And speaks three languages fluently: Vulgar, profane and obscene.
pondlady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2010, 08:01 PM   #25
Site Team - Lou

Quote:
Originally Posted by pondlady View Post
Your language does not offend this woman who spend her earliest years growing up next door to a Coast Guard Station. And speaks three languages fluently: Vulgar, profane and obscene.
My kinda girl!

Oh it was "Leaf-peeper"'s mod that used the protractor. Its in another thread on this very same subject.

Search "protractor" for a great photo of the mod almost to the bottom of the thread.

http://www.forestriverforums.com/for...uard-5152.html

Here it is.
Old 07-24-2010, 09:02 PM   #26
bmg

Quote:
Originally Posted by dezolen View Post
We were camping at Letchworth State park in NY and ran scan before and after installation within 15 minutes as install was a snap. Digital tuner picked up approx 8 stations before and after and as one knows with digital tuning either you get it or you don't.
Not sure what you mean as to UHF and VHF as I thought the digital world eliminated that form of reception.
Looks like Lou covered all the bases on UHF and VHF, very thoroughly as usual. The main thing to remember about the Wingman is it only enhances the UHF ie. channels 14-83. It does nothing for VHF ie channels 2-13.
bmg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2010, 09:20 PM   #27
Moderator Emeritus

Lou, I was talking to some friends last weekend that spend some of the winter in their trailer in Myrtle Beach. They were saying that they don't have any special setup to watch TV. Are they just watching what's left on the analog or can you pickup DTV w/ the "obsolete" antenna/TV combinations most of us have?

The reason I ask, I have yet to read anything positive anywhere on the 'net about the DTV converter boxes that are/were on the market.

The DTV transition starts next Aug' in Canada. So it'll be interesting to see how that goes.

https://inlinethumb45.webshots.com/3...600x600Q85.jpg
revrnd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2010, 11:24 PM   #28
Site Team - Lou

Quote:
Originally Posted by revrnd View Post
Lou, I was talking to some friends last weekend that spend some of the winter in their trailer in Myrtle Beach. They were saying that they don't have any special setup to watch TV. Are they just watching what's left on the analog or can you pickup DTV w/ the "obsolete" antenna/TV combinations most of us have?

The reason I ask, I have yet to read anything positive anywhere on the 'net about the DTV converter boxes that are/were on the market.

The DTV transition starts next Aug' in Canada. So it'll be interesting to see how that goes.
Gosh where to start.

I guess "magic" won't work here.

I will limit this to "over the air" tuners and leave cable out of it.

There are primarily two types of over the air tuners in the US (Does Canada use PAL? - No idea but that would be three)

There is the NTSC tuner type (National Television Systems Committee) that is the previous standard by which Analog TV signals were broadcast. All "old" TVs and some newer "Digital Ready" TVs have NTSC tuners. They receive the 3-13 and UHF channels BUT not the new digital channels.

These TVs use the same outdoor antenna (as long as they receive UHF) as digital. There is NO difference between the old and new sets as far as the antennas go. As I posted earlier, the Frequencies of the broadcast did not change, just how the information was packaged and sent over that frequency.

In order to receive digital television signals on these older sets and "digital ready" sets, you must convert the new standard to the old NTSC one. More on these in a bit.

The NEW standard is called ATSC. (Advanced Television Systems Committee. The Digital Standard. ALL TVs made today have ATSC tuners in them (plus a cable one but that's another issue - remember "cable ready" blah blah) and can receive broadcast digital high definition (up to their maximum capability - there is more than one high def standard) from any over the air antenna that will receive VHF and UHF signals.

So, if your camper has a new set (almost all flat screens) with an ATSC tuner, your just crank up your 1983 Winegard antenna; turn on the TV; do a scan and channel 17.3 comes in clear as a bell.

BUT if you have a 1983 TV in there you have a problem. IT has a NTSC tuner. It does NOT receive ATSC signals. You just get SNOW.

So, what is a mother to do? You buy an ATSC to NTSC converter box for 50 bucks.

This becomes your new tuner. You set your old TV to your aux input, (the red yellow white phono plugs that your Atari plugged into) OR you set the TV to channel 3 or 4 and use the RF output of the converter box.

You get a brand new remote since you will be changing channels on the converter box from now on. The RV antenna now hooks up to the converter box, and it happily swallows that meaningless snow and turns it into TV channels again. Hello, channel 17.3 on the converter box.

Coby - ATSC Standard-Definition Converter Box - DTV102

So, long story longer, your friends from Myrtle Beach most likely had a new TV that has the new digital tuner in it. They literally did not have to do anything but turn it on; do a scan; and watch TV.

If they had an older set, they would need a box to get the new channels.

Whew...
Old 07-25-2010, 06:44 AM   #29
Moderator Emeritus

Even though my set was purchased last Jan' it's NTSC. When I'm in Indy, we usually have my satellite setup. Unfortunately if I'm on the road, I really don't want to get into using it if I'm only in 1 place for a night.

Maybe the converter boxes that will (maybe?) hit the market in Canada will be better.

https://inlinethumb45.webshots.com/3...600x600Q85.jpg
revrnd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2010, 07:00 AM   #30
Site Team - Lou

Quote:
Originally Posted by revrnd View Post
Even though my set was purchased last ja' it's NTSC. When I'm in Indy, we usually have my satellite setup. Unfortunately if I'm on the road, I really don't want to get into using it if I'm only in 1 place for a night.

Maybe the converter boxes that will (maybe?) hit the market in Canada will be better.
The US government offered a good deal to aid in the conversion. If you did not have a cable or Satellite decoder box, and got all your programming off the air, they sent two coupons worth 50 dollars each for the TDV converter boxes.

When the program was set up, the DTV boxes were 100-150 dollars depending on features (like on screen TV guide - the data is actually broadcast with the digital stream).

By the time it got close to the changeover, the price for the boxes had dropped to 49.99 plus shipping. So the boxes wound up costing about 5 bucks each delivered.

No good deed....

Oh as far as Canada... if you are currently NTSC; then these boxes will work just fine. There should be TONS of them on EBay since all NEW TVs come with ATSC tuners and the boxes are suddenly useless. Most folks down here have already bought at least one new flat-screen TV as the prices have dropped.
Old 07-25-2010, 09:01 AM   #31
Grape Escape

Yes we in Canada have same system although digital conversion deadline is somewhat delayed.
Before you ask I do not live in an igloo and there is no skiing here past April normally so if you do come to camp in Canada leave your skiis at home.
44 for 2011, 38 for 2012, 35 for 2013, 51 for 2014
dezolen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2010, 11:55 AM   #32
Site Team - Lou

Quote:
Originally Posted by dezolen View Post
Yes we in Canada have same system although digital conversion deadline is somewhat delayed.
Before you ask I do not live in an igloo and there is no skiing here past April normally so if you do come to camp in Canada leave your skis at home.
Actually I do plan on returning to visit up that way next year (most likely in the late summer).

In addition to many wonderful military temporary duty trips up your way, I took a very unplanned road trip after high school with a friend up around the Gaspe Peninsula my graduation year.

Additionally I was in command of a C-130 returning from Europe when the New York trade towers were attacked. Canadian Forces Base Greenwood Nova Scotia hosted my crew and I for a week while the USA sorted out the skies. They were totally wonderful. If you get a chance to visit, the "thank you plaques" the crew and I sent to just about every organization on the base, from the motor pool to the kitchen, are most likely still hanging there.
You guys ROCK
Old 07-25-2010, 12:06 PM   #33
Site Team - Lou

One last thought.

The ancient ones among us probably remember "Wolfman Jack" and his pirate radio station. While the advanced "digital" standard is required for all "legal" broadcast stations, the amount of VERY high quality, CHEAP, suddenly obsolete broadcast television station equipment on EBay and flea markets will make home grown standard def local broadcasting a snap.

Looking for a cool hobby?

The new ATSC tuners are required to be able to receive standard definition signals. If you do a scan and you get a hit on channel 17.0 for example, THAT is a standard definition broadcast from a station that most likely is simulcasting High Def Digital on 17.1

Any station coming in on a dot zero channel is most likely standard definition receivable from an old set.

It may just be a local station with too few watchers to justify the expense of upgrading to digital, so they are waiting for the government to get around to shutting them down. Its a good bet that the government has more important things going on right now and it may be years (maybe never) till they do.
Old 07-25-2010, 05:34 PM   #34

Ok, With the added Wingman Digital Signal Amplifier, which part do you "aim", the loop or the new amplifier portion?
Old 07-25-2010, 05:40 PM   #35
Site Team - Lou

Quote:
Originally Posted by W_A_Watson_II View Post
Ok, With the added Wingman Digital Signal Amplifier, which part do you "aim", the loop or the new amplifier portion?
The elements of the Wingman point like an arrow to the broadcasting tower. Since the plastic control head (which contains the loop) is on the same side as the elements if the Wingman is installed correctly, it should be pretty easy to aim.
Old 07-25-2010, 06:35 PM   #36

herk7769, Thanks, so point the wingman point towards the signal, not the loop. I'll try that on my next adventure.
Old 07-25-2010, 10:28 PM   #37
Site Team - Lou

Quote:
herk7769, Thanks, so point the wingman point towards the signal, not the loop. I'll try that on my next adventure.
The "loop" you refer to are the wings of the Antenna. They are the VHF elements of the antenna. Like two rabbit ears; just flat.

The "real" UHF loop antenna is inside the white plastic case with the amplifier. The Wingman acts like a magnifying glass focusing the signal onto the plastic case.

So, yes, point the pointy part of the Wingman towards the signal.
Old 07-26-2010, 08:48 AM   #38

Thanks, I'll have to remember the Indexing arrow in the internal rotating knob is 90 deg off from the directional aiming of the antenna.
Old 07-26-2010, 08:57 AM   #39
Site Team - Lou

Quote:
Thanks, I'll have to remember the Indexing arrow in the internal rotating knob is 90 deg off from the directional aiming of the antenna.
Scroll down to my reply 24 July for a link that will help you to aim the antenna and find out where to aim it.
Old 07-26-2010, 09:08 AM   #40

Just purchased my "wingman" Saturday. Already installed it. Not makeing that huge of a difference here at home that I can notice. Can't wait to try it out down at the Gap. Just praying that I can pick up the CBS & ABC stations. I'd be so happy!

Official member of the "Roo Kroo"!
2009 - 4, 2010 - 135
2011 - 95 and counting
skeeterbait8 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
antenna