Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-09-2010, 10:09 PM   #1

Winegard wingman antenna booster

I just installed this Wingman antenna booster after seeing some reviews that it increases your television reception. So I figured I would order one given that I was only receiving only two stations while parked on my RV pad at my house. After hooking up the Wingman I re-programed the television and now its receiving 22 digital channels and 3 non digital channels so thats a gain of 23 channels, so in book this attachment really works..
It took me longer to get the ladder and climb up on the roof than it did to install the Wingman, very simple to do.
Winegard Wingman - Upgrades your Winegard Sensar for DTV part number 22-1333 $24.89 plus shipping

The Wingman was purchased through Tweetys.com (R/V parts)
Here are some pictures of the Wingman:
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	100_1090.jpg
Views:	422
Size:	56.1 KB
ID:	2814   Click image for larger version

Name:	100_1091.jpg
Views:	331
Size:	34.1 KB
ID:	2815   Click image for larger version

Name:	100_1092.jpg
Views:	359
Size:	41.2 KB
ID:	2816  

Bill
2020 GMC Duramax-3500HD 4x4 CrewCab
B&W Companion 25K Fifth Wheel Hitch
2010 Wildcat 28RKBS (West Coast Model)
56 Gallon Titan Tank
bsmall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2010, 06:16 AM   #2
Site Team

Yes they can improve reception in a fringe area.
One caveat is they extend sideways when the antenna is down.
Some of us find it lands smack dab on top of the refrigerator
roof vent.
I rarely use mine because I have to climb up on the roof and attach
it with heavy duty rubber bands while the antenna is up.
I have to remove it to lower the antenna.
2016 Evergreen Everlite 242RBS
29' empty nest model. Blue Ox WD hitch
(1 queen bed, large main cabin and huge bathroom)
Camping days 2010-53, 2011-47, 2012-41, 2013-41, 2014-31, 2015-40, 2016-44, 2017-63, 2018-75, 2019-32, 2020-41, 2021-49, 2022-43, 2023-66
KyDan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2010, 07:25 AM   #3

Considering buying one of these boosters for our 2604 but am concerned about clearance next to the air conditioner when in the down position. Was looking to find out how many inches the booster sticks out over the original antenna. I need to measure our available clearance. Thanks-A-Lot
Blaze67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2010, 08:19 AM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blaze67 View Post
Considering buying one of these boosters for our 2604 but am concerned about clearance next to the air conditioner when in the down position. Was looking to find out how many inches the booster sticks out over the original antenna. I need to measure our available clearance. Thanks-A-Lot
The box/instructions says 10 inches of length.

Bill
56 Gallon Titan Tank
Old 07-10-2010, 08:29 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by KyDan View Post
Yes they can improve reception in a fringe area.
One caveat is they extend sideways when the antenna is down.
Some of us find it lands smack dab on top of the refrigerator
roof vent.
I rarely use mine because I have to climb up on the roof and attach
it with heavy duty rubber bands while the antenna is up.
I have to remove it to lower the antenna.
Came across this from the winegard.com forum site from someone that bought the wingman and had some obstructions that you have. I dont know what the final answer was but here is the original question and winegards response:

Q: I just bought the wingman for my rv and the fridge vent is in the way. Is there anything that will allow me to lower the antenna to the height of the vent, maybe using small support legs, or should I just return the wingman.

A: There are a few things that might be able to help.

Give us a call at
1-800-788-4417

and we can discuss these with you.

Hope its some help with your case about the refer vent being in the way..

Bill
56 Gallon Titan Tank
Old 07-11-2010, 09:47 AM   #6
Site Team - Lou

While I have a Wingman, the guy next to me (who was shocked at the channels I was getting), went out to buy one and came back with this.

King Controls Jack TV For Free OA8000 VHF UHF Amplified TV RV Antenna (OA-8000) - King Controls - OA-8000 -

It was much smaller and he was very happy as he got the same channels I did.
Herk7769 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2010, 12:25 PM   #7
CampeRooo

1)bsmall - thanks for the info, I'm glad to hear that it works well and makes a significant difference as you experienced. I keep debating...update the antenna or go with a satellite and pull a receiver box from the house while i'm away. We don't watch all that much T.V. while we're camped out, but you never know.

2)herk7769 - thanks for the link with the other brand, sounds like a good option for those that can't use the Wingman version. Bookmarked...

2000 Rockwood Roo M-18 Hybrid
2006 Dodge Ram 2500 Auto 5.9 Diesel
Gone but not forgotten -1986 Rockwood 1003 PUP
rthrbelsewhere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2010, 08:11 AM   #8

I'm in a real fringe area, and only got one channel part time, and found the Wingman didn't help it at all.
Old 07-20-2010, 08:16 AM   #9

Came in an ace of getting one for us while at the dealer last Saturday. I think I will next time I'm down there. Can't hurt..... other than take away more of my money. hehehe

Official member of the "Roo Kroo"!
2009 - 4, 2010 - 135
2011 - 95 and counting
skeeterbait8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2010, 08:36 AM   #10
Site Team - Lou

Quote:
Originally Posted by W_A_Watson_II View Post
I'm in a real fringe area, and only got one channel part time, and found the Wingman didn't help it at all.
Remember the Wingman only helps improve the signals of UHF digital channels (most of the newer ones). The stock wings get VHF signals and the Wingman does nothing for them.

Also check the web site at www.antennaweb.org to see what is available in your area; Where to point the antenna (the arrow points to the broadcast antenna for THAT station); and the distance to the antenna.

UHF does not carry very far and digital is either all or nothing.
Being in a fringe area you may need more elevation (tower) or a stronger antenna than can be mounted on a mobile platform.

Hope this helps.
Old 07-20-2010, 09:27 AM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by herk7769 View Post
Remember the Wingman only helps improve the signals of UHF digital channels (most of the newer ones). The stock wings get VHF signals and the Wingman does nothing for them.

Also check the web site at www.antennaweb.org to see what is available in your area; Where to point the antenna (the arrow points to the broadcast antenna for THAT station); and the distance to the antenna.

UHF does not carry very far and digital is either all or nothing.
Being in a fringe area you may need more elevation (tower) or a stronger antenna than can be mounted on a mobile platform.

Hope this helps.

I'm wondering something. I know when we are down at CGNHP that we can get WBIR-DT NBC station (10.1 & 2) clearer/sharper than most people get it that have cable. (they have said so!) But those are the only two that we get. Looking at the chart from the website it is a VHF station with a distance of 44.8 miles as the crow flies.

I'd be the happiest person on earth if I could get the ABC and CBS station out of Knoxville. Both are UHF stations and both are just slightly further (45.0 and 45.8) as the crow flies.

All are on just about the same Compass heading 208 and 209 degrees. With the set up that I have now without the Wingman, like I said what I do get is as sharp/clear as looking in person. Hummmm It's worth a try.

Official member of the "Roo Kroo"!
2009 - 4, 2010 - 135
2011 - 95 and counting
skeeterbait8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2010, 11:17 AM   #12
Moderator Emeritus

That is an interesting website. It shows that I should get 5 channels, all about 17 miles away. In reality, I get 21 channels on my trailer antennae with the Wingman. If I remember correctly, I got 17 channels without the Wingman, but some of those were "pixelated"......that problem is a lot less now even with additional channels.

Chap , DW Joy, and Fur Baby Sango
2017 F350 Lariat CCSB, SRW, 4x4, 6.7 PS
2017 Grand Design Reflection 337RLS
MtnGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2010, 02:30 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by herk7769 View Post
Thanks, Interesting site. It shows I should get two different Channels 39.1 & 18.1, but I get 15.1 & 15.2 (Which is in reality out of Poplar Bluff as a rebroadcast of Harrisburg)

K39CP-D39.1 TBN POPLAR BLUFF, MO 148°19.439
KPOB-DT18.1 ABC HARRISBURG, IL 148°19.415

I did get a TN station one time, but I think it was weather related.
It's interesting WSIL out of Harrisburg (34) does rebroadcast out of Poplar Bluff as KPOB but states the channel is 15.1 not 18.1.
Wish I could get the TBN station, but it broadcast at 20.6KW while KPOB is at 34.5KW and I can get it only sometimes.

Looks like I'm in a dead zone, and Thanks for the help.
Old 07-20-2010, 04:45 PM   #14

I carry a HD satellite dish and receiver. It works great, if I have a clear view of the southern sky. Last week at Lake Medina there were so many huge trees that was impossible. I had 1 good channel and 2 pixilated. I'm going to give the wingman a try. I think it would have helped.

Great Wife and Idiot Yorkie
True Friends are like diamonds, precious and rare.
False ones like autumn leaves found everywhere
Hipshot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2010, 02:44 PM   #15
Grape Escape

Well we got conned as well as our camping friends. Wingman is a waste of $$. Luckiily we only paid 22$ for it. Not worth driving back to Camping World to return it. Made ZERO improvement in reception. Really wondered how it could with no wiring connections.
Wingard has lost any confidence I had in them. Guess they can get away with this being the only game in town.
44 for 2011, 38 for 2012, 35 for 2013, 51 for 2014
dezolen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2010, 04:05 PM   #16
bmg

Just installed the Wingman and rescanned. I did get better reception on several UHF and picked up 1 or 2 fuzzies that weren't there before. Somehow I failed to pick up 1 that I had before.

One thing I did discover is that as you raise or lower the antennae, the signal strength varies. One VHF channel would not give good reception with the antennae cranked all the way up, but when I lowered it a turn the reception was perfect.

I'm going to reserve final judgment until we take it on the road. My first impression is that we have had some improvement in signal strength, which was my main concern.
bmg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2010, 04:18 PM   #17
Site Team - Lou

Quote:
Originally Posted by dezolen View Post
Really wondered how it could with no wiring connections.
Without going into antenna theory, it works by magic and leave it go at that.

As to the only game in town there ARE other antennas out there.
Check out the link below for the King Controls Jack TV antenna replacement. It might work better for you in your situation.
Old 07-24-2010, 04:23 PM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by dezolen View Post
Well we got conned as well as our camping friends. Wingman is a waste of $$. Luckiily we only paid 22$ for it. Not worth driving back to Camping World to return it. Made ZERO improvement in reception. Really wondered how it could with no wiring connections.
Wingard has lost any confidence I had in them. Guess they can get away with this being the only game in town.
Man, Sorry to hear that!
I’m a firm believer.
In my driveway I got 6 digital channels.
After installing that thing, I was pulling in about 20.
Over July 4th weekend I was camping in Benton PA.
Before the switch I didn’t get any analog channels in Benton.
On this last trip I pulled in 9!

One of these days I have to reference one of those web sites that help you aim the antenna. No telling how many channels I’ll get.

Would like to add one more thing. The above is all moot, there’s still nothing to watch.
3 Happy Campers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2010, 06:19 PM   #19
Grape Escape

We were camping at Letchworth State park in NY and ran scan before and after installation within 15 minutes as install was a snap. Digital tuner picked up approx 8 stations before and after and as one knows with digital tuning either you get it or you don't.
Not sure what you mean as to UHF and VHF as I thought the digital world eliminated that form of reception.
44 for 2011, 38 for 2012, 35 for 2013, 51 for 2014
dezolen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2010, 07:26 PM   #20
Site Team - Lou

Smile The Long answer and the short answer

There are still analog stations broadcasting on UHF bands and VHF bands.
There are digital signals being broadcast in the UHF band and the VHF band as well.

The frequencies have nothing to do with the form of the data being sent; it is just the carrier of the data being transmitted.

UHF stands for Ultra High Frequency wavelengths
VHF stands for Very High Frequency wavelengths

Both are still in use, its just you can cram a LOT more "digital channels" into the same space (wavelength) used by an analog channel.

If you go to www.antennaweb.org you MAY find analog channels still in use in your area. You will still need the "wings" on your RV antenna to pick up the VHF digital channels.

To answer why the Wingman "works without wires":

1) How the "OLD" antenna worked. The wings of the Winegard style antenna are directional VHF antenna lobes. (Think Rabbit Ears) The control head (the white box) contained a NON-directional loop antenna (Think that loop of wire that used to come free with a new TV back in the day) and a signal amp powered through the Coax from the wall plate controller (little button with green light).

2) Add Wingman and you make that non-directional loop directional by using those narrow to large elements to "bend" the incoming UHF signal like a magnifying glass to focus more RF energy onto that non-directional loop UHF antenna. The "Arrow head" of the wingman MUST point directly to the broadcast tower to be most effective.

HIGHLY recommended that you find out that heading and distance from www.antennaweb.org so you know where to point for a specific channel you want to watch.
There is a great mod that uses a circular protractor mounted in a ring around the crank to make pointing a snap once you spin it to "north" and mark the direction of the "arrow."

3) Again, it ONLY works to amplify UHF band signals. (However, since the majority of the newer channels are in the mostly unused UHF band, this is a good thing)

4) Since RF energy dissipates by the square of the distance from the source, UHF reception is local only by nature. VHF has longer range and can pick up stations further away.

5) since digital is "mostly" all or nothing, ANYTHING that amplifies the RF energy will allow you to "see" more displayable quality signals and thus more channels.

6) OR its f...'ing magic and leave it at that.

Tags
antenna