Old 03-27-2013, 11:10 AM   #1

Wireless Backup and Rear Monitoring Camera Options - Exploring possibilities

Okay, started this as to not derail wmtire's great thread using the GE Wireless Home Monitoring Kit #45255 as a rear camera system.
Not all systems are readily available depending on your location in Canada or the US. There are dozens and dozens of units (the majority being baby monitors) ranging from less than $100 to $400 and beyond. Many have features that are not needed for this application so that narrows things down.

Here are a couple of alternate units that I am exploring:
Lorex Live Sense LW2401 Series Wireless Video Baby Monitor at Walmart.ca

Safe N See Advanced 3.5 Digital Video Wireless Baby Monitor with Talk to Baby Intercom and Remote Controlled Lullabies at Walmart.ca

Old 03-27-2013, 11:20 AM   #2
Mod free 5er

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doering View Post
Okay, started this as to not derail wmtire's great thread using the GE Wireless Home Monitoring Kit #45255 as a rear camera system.
Not all systems are readily available depending on your location in Canada or the US. There are dozens and dozens of units (the majority being baby monitors) ranging from less than $100 to $400 and beyond. Many have features that are not needed for this application so that narrows things down.

Safe N See Advanced 3.5 Digital Video Wireless Baby Monitor with Talk to Baby Intercom and Remote Controlled Lullabies at Walmart.ca
There are less expensive ones in the lower 48.

Old 03-27-2013, 11:30 AM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by OldCoot View Post
There are less expensive ones in the lower 48.
Be careful though when considering the lower priced ones. My impression from reading the reviews is that the signal cuts out and the image quality is very poor and grainy. Depending on what you desire however, may be okay!
Old 03-27-2013, 11:41 AM   #4
Mod free 5er

Quote:
Be careful though when considering the lower priced ones. My impression from reading the reviews is that the signal cuts out and the image quality is very poor and grainy. Depending on what you desire however, may be okay!
The GE models are good, less expensive and is what started the wireless backup camera thread originally.
Old 03-27-2013, 12:04 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by OldCoot View Post
The GE models are good, less expensive and is what started the wireless backup camera thread originally.
Hey, don't get me wrong, I'd buy the GE unit if I could get it! No one else has chimed in from Canada who has one, so the search for something comparable continues.
Old 03-27-2013, 01:53 PM   #6
Site Team

Quote:

I hate to hear you are having problems finding the GE system. Looking at the pics, except for color it seems the Lorex looks like the GE. It's possible it was made by the same company, and could be the same system, but just branded with different names/colors. When I did an internet search for the Lorex, actually Best Buy (don't know if you have them in Canada) had it for $127.49.(cheaper than Wal-Marts GE system)

Lorex LIVE Sense Baby Monitoring System LW2401 - Best Buy

When I get home this evening, I will pull mine out and do a side by side comparison and see if these are possibly the same....unless someone else already knows and posts.

Ducks are just all-terrain chickens
wmtire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2013, 02:07 PM   #7
Anacortesians

If you have a back window in your RV and carry a laptop on your travels, there's a very easy way to get what you want. A friend did this on his older Class C.

You get a wireless computer camera and mount it on the inside back wall of the RV, looking upwards. Above the window, you mount a mirror at 45 degrees that can see out the back. Line up the camera to point at the mirror and you get a mirror-image view through the back window on your laptop. No need for an outside, waterproof camera or for a dashboard monitor with a "mirror image" capability.
Old 03-27-2013, 04:19 PM   #8

I will have wire less network in my camper... I'm looking for a way to use my iPad in the TV as the monitor.

Is there a Wi-Fi camera that allows you to use your home wire less network without an internet connection?
Old 03-28-2013, 12:04 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by sidney View Post
I will have wire less network in my camper... I'm looking for a way to use my iPad in the TV as the monitor.

Is there a Wi-Fi camera that allows you to use your home wire less network without an internet connection?
Was it you that asked this on RV.net? I answered over there with what I will be attempting if so.
Old 03-28-2013, 04:21 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Helmsey View Post
Was it you that asked this on RV.net? I answered over there with what I will be attempting if so.
Yep, that was me.

How does your iPad access the wireless video?

Is there a specific app you use on the iPad to view the camera image?

Thanks