Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-28-2017, 12:48 PM   #21
Blog: RVroadtripper.com

I use AT&T for cellular and they now allow certain data streams to not be counted against your data plan. One of those is their new DirectTV Now (or if you are a Direct TV satellite subscriber, they include the Direct TV streaming app in that class also). They gave away Apple TV's back last fall if you signed up for the $35 a month Direct TV Now. We put the Apple TV box in the camper and when we travel we just use the built-in Apple Airplay to send the stream to the TV. Downside is that the cell-phone knows your location and won't allow you to see the local channels you would see if you were in your home market. Stupid restriction I agree.
Maxxis 235/80/16E; AirBags w/AirLift1; mor/Ryde Rubber Pinbox; Andersen UltimateII Alum. 5erhitch on Reese Flipball w/Curt 4" offset; LCI Ground Control3; King Dishtailgater; Traveling with 10' Portabote;
hbillsmith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2017, 03:44 PM   #22

The simplest would be the Herk7769 route. It allows you to work with or without the internet. You will need to download and store the videos, and streaming files to your network storage.

Everyone will have access to it and the network will adjust as you are within range of an internet connection or not.

If you want all the bells and whistles and aren't very tech savvy, try this site: How to Set Up a Home Media Center & Network - TV & Movies on Demand
it does a pretty good job of telling you what you need and how to do it. It walks you through setting up a whole home media network (it ain't cheap). You can look around for other products (hopefully less costly), once you see how they all connect and what they do. Not endorsing any of the products, just giving you the information.
Never Enough Time Camping!!
ben31 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2017, 04:37 PM   #23

I think Chromecast looks for a wireless network, not sure that it needs inet. Would have to look into that. There are also routers you can plug USB drives into and then pull from them, higher than the speed of the drive, the more seem less the steaming on 2 devices.
Old 03-30-2017, 05:15 PM   #24

Mac Mini, I built a server out of one, it runs all 1,400 movies and 67,000 songs and it is streamed thru our entire 5th wheel. I put an Apple TV in each TV main cabin and bedroom, I also have direct TV which I can shoot from my Mac Mini to either TV.

We hardly spend anytime inside the RV but when we do, there is plenty of entertainment and we usually stream the music to outside speakers. I am in IT so it helps but anyone who may want to know my setup PM me and I can tell you what you need, pictures to follow when I finish setting up our new Crusader 295
Old 03-31-2017, 02:25 PM   #25

[QUOTE=lugoismad;1458377]
First I want to preface this with...uh...you know you are camping, right? The whole idea is to get out in nature, away from the house and technology.QUOTE]

Um...some of us are...some of us are not
Nights Camped: 2013 - 242014 - 422015 - 56Jul 2016 - Fulltime
BamaBob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2017, 02:29 PM   #26

Yep but for a rainy day or when there is just nothing to do related to weather this all comes in handy otherwise we are barely in our RV, mostly walking, swimming, exploring etc
Old 03-31-2017, 04:06 PM   #27

Correct it is camping but the 4 hour drive to the campground each way is a good time for the kids to crawl in the bunks of the class A and turn a movie on to pass the time.
Walte1fr is offline   Reply With Quote