Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-05-2018, 09:37 AM   #1

Wobbly Dinette table

Has anyone modded their dinette table?? Need some ideas!! I saw this one and wanted to know if anyone has installed it..Thanks!!
SNAP 2 Folding Table Base-V-40 from FactoryRVSurplus.com

Who went in the way before you, to search you out a place to pitch your tents in, in fire by night, to shew you by what way ye should go, and in a cloud by day.

Deuteronomy 1:33
auroraRNT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2018, 09:48 AM   #2
Moderator Emeritus

I'm not familiar with what comes in the Wolf-pup, is the pipe style or the folding style? In our Flagstaff we had the folding style and had to add a couple of braces to eliminate the wobble:

Our Surveyor has the same style table, but it doesn't seem as wobbly as the one in the Flagstaff was. I think that's because of how the legs were orientated to the table top. In the Flagstaff, it was along the short width, so there was a lot of table to support around the pivot. In the Surveyor, it's along the longer length, so not as much pivoting.
Old 09-05-2018, 10:11 AM   #3

Mine has 2 pole mounts and bases are made of plastic..was considering using metal bases and dump the plastic ones

Who went in the way before you, to search you out a place to pitch your tents in, in fire by night, to shew you by what way ye should go, and in a cloud by day.

Deuteronomy 1:33
auroraRNT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2018, 10:24 AM   #4
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by wolfpup64 View Post
Mine has 2 pole mounts and bases are made of plastic..was considering using metal bases and dump the plastic ones
Sounds like a good plan.
Old 09-05-2018, 10:25 AM   #5

Quote:
Quote below from FR3 Pictures of Mods: Table legs
Quote:
Originally Posted by rk06382 View Post
I replaced the Dinette table legs with Sequoia table legs. I was able to purchase local for less than Amazon but included link to clarify.
Amazon: 27'' Sequoia Table Leg
Attachment 172276Attachment 172275
Attachment 172277Attachment 172278

We travel with our son and my DW did not like stepping on the old table base when she sits in the back. She likes to go barefoot in the RV.
The Sequoia table legs locked the base of the legs. This stabilize the table legs.
Solar Power & Battle Born batteries
rk06382 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2018, 10:58 AM   #6
Moderator Emeritus

Great ideas! I just had our wobbly table upside down so I could tighten all the screws but didn't find any very loose.
8-year Travel Trailer RVers
2013 Forest River Rockwood Ultra-Lite 2904SS
2014 Toyota Tundra Maxcrew SR-5 TRD 4x4 (with Firestone airbags in the rear)
ColoradoRick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2018, 05:57 PM   #7
Kasual Kamper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaadk View Post
In our Flagstaff we had the folding style and had to add a couple of braces to eliminate the wobble:

That is exactly the problem we have in our Flagstaff! The table has too much surface area to adequately support it. Kaadk, can you provide more details on the braces you cite above? Where did you get them?
JayArras is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2018, 06:27 PM   #8

Quote:
I have the same style and was very wobbly. Turns out the bases were screwed through the carpet and were barely into the wood below. Used a utility knife and cut all around the bases. Removed the bases and the carpet below that was just cut out. Reinstalled the bases directly to the wood. Don't over tighten the screws, just very snug. Much, much better now.
B&W Companion 20K for OEM pucks.
SecretSquirrel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2018, 07:44 PM   #9
Kasual Kamper

Your style is different because this table is freestanding and just rests on the carpet.
Old 09-12-2018, 08:59 PM   #10
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by JayArras View Post
That is exactly the problem we have in our Flagstaff! The table has too much surface area to adequately support it. Kaadk, can you provide more details on the braces you cite above? Where did you get them?

I got them from “Father In Law’s Shop”

They’re just pieces of flat stock he had on hand that he cut to size for me, and then screwed them on using some self tapping bolts.
Old 09-12-2018, 09:58 PM   #11
Kasual Kamper

Kaadk, if you could take a clearer picture with the table on it's side, I'd appreciate it.
Old 09-12-2018, 10:10 PM   #12
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Kaadk, if you could take a clearer picture with the table on it's side, I'd appreciate it.

Unfortunately I don’t have that trailer anymore. Sold it last spring. Scanning through my photos, here’s what I do have:

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1980.jpg
Views:	206
Size:	209.3 KB
ID:	186310Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1978.jpg
Views:	170
Size:	184.2 KB
ID:	186311Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1895.jpg
Views:	162
Size:	211.4 KB
ID:	186312
Old 09-13-2018, 11:59 AM   #13

Quote:
Your style is different because this table is freestanding and just rests on the carpet.
Well JayArras that would be because I wasn't replying to you but to the OP who specifically stated he had the pole style (and I quoted him).
B&W Companion 20K for OEM pucks.
SecretSquirrel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2018, 01:06 PM   #14
Kasual Kamper

Quote:
Originally Posted by SecretSquirrel View Post
Well JayArras that would be because I wasn't replying to you but to the OP who specifically stated he had the pole style (and I quoted him).
My apologies.
Old 09-13-2018, 01:18 PM   #15

@Wolfpup64: I have the "post" style table legs which fit into a round base secured to the floor and to the bottom of the table. I have had my TT just shy of three (3) years and have had to replace the metal bases three (3) times already. My original bases were cast aluminum and so were the replacements. The table is very wobbly when placed into position and having three (3) g'son's leaning on the table has not helped for sure. The bottom side of these castings is hollow which leaves a very thin area where the legs fit into the base and they break in this area. One thing I have considered is buying/installing a single folding table leg on the bottom of the back side of the table that would reach from the table bottom to the floor. This would prevent the table from rocking back towards the dinette seat when the kids lean on it. I'd like to see the plastic base units, I'm wondering if they might be a bit stronger than the thin cast aluminum units.

Thurman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2018, 05:27 AM   #16
Canadian Member

An alternate, though expensive, would be a single, telescopic base post from a marine store. We have the same base as Kaadk and it is a bit wobbly but not terrible, so we just live with it.
2011 Rockwood Signature 8293SS (2015 - 2018)
2010 Rockwood Roo 23SS (2012 - 2014)

itat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2018, 08:54 PM   #17

The table on my 2104S is so wobbly that it's useless. The legs have two or three joints and any amount of slop in any joint is amplified. The braces shown above wouldn't particularly help me, because the worst joints are about 1/3 of the the way up the legs. I'll probably replace them with something that won't fold up since we will never use the table for a bed. I also thought about just bolting a strip of metal on the back side of the legs spanning all of the joints to hold them rigid.

Al
awagnon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2018, 09:44 PM   #18

My Heritage Glen came with a pedestal dining table. When we first got it home the table had fallen over onto the chairs! It took for ever for the repair. The second time it happened I built a butterfly leaf table to replace it. (Sorry, I didn't record the process. google butterfly leaf, it's not for beginner carpentry skills) The new table is 48" and extends to 60". I attached one end to the wall and made a single leg for the far end. We can now seat 4 without bumping elbows and have family style service on the same table.
Camper Al is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2018, 10:35 PM   #19

Camper Al. Thanks for the input. A butterfly leaf table is a good idea. For now, I have solved the wobbly table problem by drilling out the rivets that the table legs hinge on and replaced them with 5/16" 20 pitch bolts and nylock nuts. I loosen the bolts slightly and the table folds up normally so it can be stowed. When I set it up, I tighten the bolts (takes less than a minute) and it's rock solid, except for the carpet it stands on.

I'd like to bolt a table to the floor, but the slide out looks like there is just one layer on the bottom of the slide. I'm afraid I'll mess it up if I bolt or screw into it. The table doesn't wobble any more, so maybe I'll just quit while I'm ahead.

Al
awagnon is offline   Reply With Quote