Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-02-2011, 11:58 AM   #1

Wobbly table fix??

Our new Catalina 20RD TT has a dinette table with the "standard" arrangement of two pipes and two flanges on the floor. The table wobbles like a drunken sailor if you even look at it. I can't believe that the manufacturers actually install something which obviously doesn't work that well. It's the single most annoying thing about the trailer.

Is there a simple fix for this? I don't want to convert to 4 legs as there would not be enough room to get our legs in and out. I have seen a few photos of tables that have some sort of bracket, clamp or something that mounts to the outside wall. Is this available somewhere? Or could I add a strip of wood against the wall just under the table so it rests on it?

I'm sure many have run into this issue.

Thanks!
myredracer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2011, 12:18 PM   #2

Same sailor, or one of his buddies, used to live in my rig. I used two short pieces of of wood (8"X1/2"X1") and screwed them to the wall just under each side of the table. Gently push up on side of the table and put in one piece of wood flush along the wall and screw into place. Next, you need to push up on the other side of the table, with more force this time, and install the second piece of wood. That's it, sailors have jumped ship and your done....unless....If the table now wants to wander away from the wall, you'll need to put a couple of screws through the new pieces of wood and into the bottom of the table. Measure the new screws or you'll have them poking you in the elbow come dinner time. If you pre-drill those braces/pieces of wood, you should make it through the whole project without the slightest tinge of blue air.
Old 10-02-2011, 01:14 PM   #3

Send a message via AIM to Gary0848
Hi, I has the same problem long ago. Pull the posts from the hole after marking the depth of the hole on post. Wraps enough duct tape around the base so it fits into the hole snugly. This is a good and cheap fix.
Gary0848 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2011, 03:41 PM   #4

I found a cure on my previous tent trailer with a constant wobble. I went to a boat shop and bought a set of boat windshield locking devices. One part attach to the wall and the other part attach to the underside of the table. After setting the table I have just to join the 2 part together and lock them. It give you a rock solid table and does not block your legs under the table. These devices are in a sliding shaft and can be adjusted and locked in place with the set locking screws. I have no picture to show but I will browse through my computer and post one on the tread.
capucine is offline   Reply With Quote