Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-24-2011, 07:11 PM   #1

Smile Wood for Modifications

Has anyone found a source for the "cherrywood" type of wood finish in RV's to make shelf modifications, etc.
I know that real wood and stains are better and look good on a separate unit, but, if I wanted to add on to a cabinet or shelf and match up to the existing wood, does anyone know a source?
Hensley Arrow Hitch
Average 50-60 nights/yr
Walke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2011, 07:17 PM   #2

I tried at Home Depot, but what looked really close on the can wasn't anywhere near the right colour. I am still looking.
crocus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2011, 07:26 PM   #3

I used alder and then played the stain by "eye" - for my trailer, it was mix of mahogany, golden oak and then a bit of pecan thrown in for the "orange" in the red.
WildPlumYonder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2011, 08:32 PM   #4

Most of the "Wood" used to build the cabinet frames is a wood look vinyl wrap over wood. It won't change color as it ages, like real wood will. If you want it to match, and stay a match, you need to get some material from the mfg. I did this with my Surveyor (called FR and ordered it direct). Perfect match to the factory, including the cabinet doors I added.
MOD Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2011, 09:37 AM   #5
Wanna Be Camper

Quote:
Originally Posted by MOD Guy View Post
Most of the "Wood" used to build the cabinet frames is a wood look vinyl wrap over wood. It won't change color as it ages, like real wood will. If you want it to match, and stay a match, you need to get some material from the mfg. I did this with my Surveyor (called FR and ordered it direct). Perfect match to the factory, including the cabinet doors I added.
Might be like that in the Surveyor but our V-Lite cabinets are all stained wood including the dining room table and chairs. I think most FR products are built the same as ours now.

John & Deb
2011 F250 Lariat FX4 Crew Cab 6.2
2011 Flagstaff V-Lite 30WRLS
SaskCampers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2011, 11:28 AM   #6
CLASS "A" Senior Member

Here's where I was referred. They won't ship any stain though. HAZMAT restrictions they told me. But they will ship anything that's already finished.

Patrick Industries, Inc. HPL High Pressure Laminates

They supply the cabinets for FR unless they swithced suppliers.

2007 Georgetown 370TS
aka - RAYNMKR

Driver: Charlie
Navigator: Sheri
cfsoistman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2011, 09:16 PM   #7
Anacortesians

When I took apart our water-damaged cabinets in the overhead of the living room slide-out, I realised the most of the decorative finish was "Wood Tape" oak applied over a lesser-quality wood. Wood tape is a fairly local company (Everett, WA). It has held up well and will be re-installed.

I'm building new cabinets using oak-faced plywood, but will re-install the cabinet facias.

I can't understand the manufacturer's logic in the cabinet installation. There are three 1" square steel tubes running the full length of the slide out. The spaces between are filled with 1" thick, rigid styrofoam. The tubes and insulation are covered by a lauan doorskin type plywood.

These heavy oak cabinets weren't attached to the steel tubes, but with short woodscrews to the lauan plywood. When I took down the water-damaged cabinetry, all but four of the screws in a 12-foot run of cabinets had lost their purchase in the rotted plywood. It's a minor miracle that the whole shebang didn't come crashing down.

My new cabinets will be attached to the steel tubes, removing the risk of them coming adrift.
Old 08-07-2011, 07:30 PM   #8

cabinet stain

The color is fulton cherry. I just added doors above my bed. I used light cherry wood and stained it with Old Master early american gel stain. It was a perfect match
msm1827 is offline   Reply With Quote