Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 12-22-2014, 09:12 PM   #1

Would like to replace thermostat

I would like to replace my standard thermostat with an LCD display. I am looking at a "RV Digital Heat Cool 8330-386 Thermostat". I would like to know if it show the room temp?

btw Great site.
SCCS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2014, 09:40 PM   #2

Is that the Coleman model? if it is yes it will. All digital stats will show your room temp.

Witch Doctor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2014, 09:46 PM   #3

Yes, that is a Coleman model.
SCCS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2014, 09:55 PM   #4

I replaced our analog thermostat with this model - works so much better and easy to connect. Controls the temps so much better than the analog. Bit pricier than some of the other non rv thermostats though.
Jimandchris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2014, 10:01 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by SCCS View Post
Yes, that is a Coleman model.
Then it will show your unit temp on the display. The cheapest and I mean about 1/2 price is at Amazon or ebay. If you do a lot of cold weather camping I would look at the domestic digital being you can cycle your A/C blower at the same time. The Coleman sub base will not allow that . I'm saying that without looking at the wiring diagram. I 'm calling dometic in the AM and see if they can give me more info. You would be much more comfortable with that comb running. That stat cost 29.00 bucks. not 65.00 like the coleman. I can not see why it will not work but I'm sure going to find out.....Your stat should be between plus or minus 1to2 degrees the most from what you read on the face of it....

Old 03-15-2015, 12:03 AM   #6
2006 Georgetown 340

How can I tell if this model will work in our coach? We purchased a 2006 Forest River Georgetown and would like to upgrade to a digital model.
compint is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2015, 08:14 PM   #7
2006 Georgetown 340

Bump?

Bump
compint is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2015, 03:03 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by compint View Post
How can I tell if this model will work in our coach? We purchased a 2006 Forest River Georgetown and would like to upgrade to a digital model.
You can use any that have a battery in them. If you have a coleman A/C Honeywell or Coleman makes a digital that will work. If you have dometic they have a digital also, but found out they will only work with a Dometic unit. A lot of folks like the Hunter from HD or Lowes, but can't say if it would work with your MH. With the Hunter you would have to add a switch for the 2 speed fan unless you just wanted one speed. There are some wiring diagrams in the lib. here or do a search. Remember it's 12 volt not 24 volt when you go looking. Hope that helps you a little. The year your coach was made wouldn't make any difference.

Old 04-29-2015, 10:06 PM   #9
WFD

Performed the replacement of my analog thermostat to the Coleman 8330-386 this evening, quick and simple and the mounting holes on the new thermostat line up with the ones that were there for the analog one. And yes I can confirm it displays room temp. In order to help with the accuracy of temp reading I did what somebody suggested and filled the hole in the wall that the wiring comes through with insulation. That way the thermostat wont be fooled by trapped heat or cold in the wall thereby giving it a false reading.
What confused me though is that I had disconnected my battery prior to doing the install, yet when I was finished wiring it up, it immediately showed the room temp. I wasn't expecting that to happen till I reconnected the battery? Whats up with that? It doesn't have a backup battery on it.
Old 04-30-2015, 03:39 AM   #10

The only thing that comes to my head, is that it would have battery back-up? If not then you had to have 12v. going to it without knowing it. You said you do not have battery back-up, then I would check to see if you have 12v coming in from somewhere. That is the only 2 way's possible. It takes 12v to run that temp. Glad your enjoying your new stat and good that you put the insulation in not to get a false reading. Did HVAC for 20 years and never seen that happen without power.

Old 04-30-2015, 04:31 AM   #11

If you were plugged in you will still have 12 volts from the converter even with the battery disconnected.
Proud To Be An American
Max Windjammer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2015, 09:19 PM   #12
WFD

Quote:
Originally Posted by Max Windjammer View Post
If you were plugged in you will still have 12 volts from the converter even with the battery disconnected.
Bingo!...That's what it is...I was plugged in to power at the house...Silly me...I just assumed that disconnecting the battery would have prevented that... I guess it wasn't even necessary for me to disconnect the battery.
Old 05-01-2015, 02:27 AM   #13

If you were unplugged you would still have to disconnect the battery or shut off the battery switch (if equipped) . There are also fuses in the panel but unplugging and disconnecting the battery is the easiest way to do the job.Shorting the wires can damage the board in the AC.
Proud To Be An American
Max Windjammer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2015, 06:32 AM   #14

Some domestic digital thermostats have what I consider a major flaw in them because they don't work below 32 degrees or so. Below that temperature THEY WILL NOT TURN ON YOUR FURNACE!

Hard to believe anyone would make something like that!! (Honeywell)

Tags
thermostat