Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-05-2016, 07:36 AM   #1

Almost A Dummy

We're driving 130 miles today to move the windjammer to another campground closer to my next job.

I loaded up every tool I could ever need, an air compressor, extra sewer hose, extra power cord, impact wrench, a whole lot of stuff I probably won't need.

I say to myself "well that's enough, shouldn't need anything else". Lock the truck tailgate and start to go in and get my wife.

Then almost trip over the windjammer hitch laying in the floor of the shop.

Yep, I might need that.

The day is still young though, I have lots of time to do other stupid things.
KingFisher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2016, 08:00 AM   #2
Always Learning

Never 130 miles, but more than once I drove to the storage lot to bring the camper home and found that I left the hitch at home.
Old 10-05-2016, 08:12 AM   #3

Almost a dummy

Kingfisher, I take the battery out of my unit when it is in winter storage, and I have gone back to the storage yard to get my trailer and, after I got there, remembered the battery that is still back home!

kdot
kdot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2016, 08:57 AM   #4

they say it happens with age, but in reality it happens a any age.
2016 Flagstaff 26 FKWS
AF&AM & El Korah Shrine of Idaho
SeaDog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2016, 09:19 AM   #5
Site Team

Keys....... nobody's mentioned keys.

I locked my keys in my trailer one time (didn't know you could do that, but I did). Drove thirty miles back to the house to get my spare set, but couldn't find them. After a lot of searching, the spares were in my trucks center console the whole time.

A 72 hour hold in a psych unit is beginning to intrigue me as a potential vacation opportunity.
wmtire is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2016, 07:44 AM   #6

Trailer is moved, but I managed a few more stupid human tricks yesterday.

After I pulled out in the street, wife says Antenna is still up! I said thanks (instead of saying that your constant questions and chatter have me a nervous wreck so it's no wonder that I forgot it).

Back jacks wouldn't go up so I had to empty the storage out to get to the handle. Since I'd never put them up or down manually before I stuck the handle in and started cranking. I noticed nothing was happening so I looked underneath at the jacks and saw there was no way that where I was cranking would influence the jacks in any way. Then walked around the trailer and noticed I'd cranked the slide out about a foot.

When I cranked the jacks correctly the electric motor started to work again, I guess my motor is weak. Neighbor pushed the button while I was cranking and I almost ate the jack handle.

I'm not used to the small outside storage on the Windjammer, I actually unloaded the storage compartment 3 times and loaded it up again 3 times to get stuff I needed to hook up and leave.

No major dummy tricks on the unhooking portion of the day although I did forget that my sewer hose runs under the slide so I already had the slide out and had to crawl under it to run the hose and the supports.
KingFisher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2016, 08:28 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by KingFisher View Post

After I pulled out in the street, wife says Antenna is still up! I said thanks (instead of saying that your constant questions and chatter have me a nervous wreck so it's no wonder that I forgot it).

Back jacks wouldn't go up so I had to empty the storage out to get to the handle. Since I'd never put them up or down manually before I stuck the handle in and started cranking. I noticed nothing was happening so I looked underneath at the jacks and saw there was no way that where I was cranking would influence the jacks in any way. Then walked around the trailer and noticed I'd cranked the slide out about a foot.

When I cranked the jacks correctly the electric motor started to work again, I guess my motor is weak. Neighbor pushed the button while I was cranking and I almost ate the jack handle.

I'm not used to the small outside storage on the Windjammer, I actually unloaded the storage compartment 3 times and loaded it up again 3 times to get stuff I needed to hook up and leave.

No major dummy tricks on the unhooking portion of the day although I did forget that my sewer hose runs under the slide so I already had the slide out and had to crawl under it to run the hose and the supports.
I would NOT laugh at you, but this is funny!
born in Texas.... live in Arkansas
Iwannacamp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2016, 09:03 AM   #8
Site Team

Thanks for the good laugh this morning. Helped me forget the scrape on my shin from falling up the stairs in the fifth wheel last night. Yes. I fell Up the steps.

dcheatwood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2016, 09:14 AM   #9

Sometimes I put the MiFi Jetpack on the top edge of the slideout, inside the trailer. Couple of weeks ago, got to our next campsite, looked all over but couldn't find the jetpack. Thought oh crap maybe I left it on top of the slide out so moved the slideout a couple of inches inward and checked the opening and thought no way the MiFi could fit through there so didn't bother to climb on the roof to look. Assumed I lost it and got another sent out, had to wait a few extra days at the campsite for it to come in. Jump forward a few days and climb on the roof to clear stuff off the top of the slide to prepare to close it, yep, there it was, the MiFi was sitting in the rubber seal, DOH! Of course it rained so the MiFi got wet. It is sitting in a bag of rice right now.

MISSION COMPLETED!
gectisme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2016, 09:21 AM   #10
Always Learning

Quote:
Originally Posted by gectisme View Post
Sometimes I put the MiFi Jetpack on the top edge of the slideout, inside the trailer. Couple of weeks ago, got to our next campsite, looked all over but couldn't find the jetpack. Thought oh crap maybe I left it on top of the slide out so moved the slideout a couple of inches inward and checked the opening and thought no way the MiFi could fit through there so didn't bother to climb on the roof to look. Assumed I lost it and got another sent out, had to wait a few extra days at the campsite for it to come in. Jump forward a few days and climb on the roof to clear stuff off the top of the slide to prepare to close it, yep, there it was, the MiFi was sitting in the rubber seal, DOH! Of course it rained so the MiFi got wet. It is sitting in a bag of rice right now.

Sticky-back Velcro. Hang it on the wall *above* the slide.
Old 10-13-2016, 11:00 AM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by KingFisher View Post

Sigh...this is how we drove off and left behind our $100.00 outside step in a campground back east. Two states later that day when I went to get it out for setting up camp...oh well, he can't help it. Patience.

Toni and Sal
2016 Forester 2291S
Sent from my iPad using Forest River Forums
ToniandSal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2016, 10:09 PM   #12

Note to self... Put the actual address of the campground you are going to, not the name of the park. DW and I went to William Bankhead National forest. That's what she entered in the map app. Following the directions, listening to the iPhone every word, turn down that road and finally hear "her" say You have reached your destination, park and continue walking to your final destination. DW AND I looking at each other surprised and wondering why the dirt road we are parked AT AIN'T right!!!! I have no idea why we had not noticed that there were not any signs for the campground or National forest signs either.... Luckily we still had cell signal and could google the campground address and drive 30 minutes to our ACTUAL destination. Campground!!! Gotta love technology !!!!!

Old 10-14-2016, 10:33 PM   #13
Senior Senior Member

And always remember....when unhitching at the campground, never put anything you will later need to get going to the next campground..... ON THE BUMPER!
Please don't ask me how I know that little chestnut of wisdom.

Geeez.
Old 10-14-2016, 10:43 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by joforbess View Post
Note to self... Put the actual address of the campground you are going to, not the name of the park. DW and I went to William Bankhead National forest. That's what she entered in the map app. Following the directions, listening to the iPhone every word, turn down that road and finally hear "her" say You have reached your destination, park and continue walking to your final destination. DW AND I looking at each other surprised and wondering why the dirt road we are parked AT AIN'T right!!!! I have no idea why we had not noticed that there were not any signs for the campground or National forest signs either.... Luckily we still had cell signal and could google the campground address and drive 30 minutes to our ACTUAL destination. Campground!!! Gotta love technology !!!!!

Sigh, I've done something very similar. Luckily I had the smaller Roo. Took me to the back end of Turkey Run State Park. Felt like we ended up on some maintenance roads. Something I would have never taken my camper down otherwise.

Needless to say I drove an extra 10 mi or so all the way around the park back to the main entrance

-- 2017 Ford F150 FX4/Lariat
-- 3.5L EcoBoost w/ 10 Speed & Max Tow
-- 2016 Salem Hemisphere Lite 27BH
Shanks12 is offline   Reply With Quote