Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-01-2015, 10:21 PM   #1
Site Team

Animal Cracker trivia

OK, this one should take you back to your childhood, or even your adulthood if you have children or grandchildren. I posted it in the humor section, and although it's factual, it's kjnda funny that many people (moi included) did not know the answer to the following question that dates back to 1902. Hopefully, you will get a smile out of it.

You may have to google the answer, and I ask that once you find out (if you don't know really) to not post it here., but can comment if you did know the answer without looking. I will follow up later with a lot more of the true history behind it. It is some good campfire trivia to impress your fellow campers with and maybe even treat them to a box of..

Why do the boxes of Nabisco animal crackers have strings on them?

HINT: Contrary to what you may have grew up believing, or using the string for...it is not intended to be a carrying strap.

A 72 hour hold in a psych unit is beginning to intrigue me as a potential vacation opportunity.
wmtire is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2015, 06:22 AM   #2

I thought I knew. I was wrong!
Old 09-02-2015, 06:28 AM   #3

Very interesting!
Old 09-02-2015, 06:29 AM   #4

Would never have guessed that.

Current: 2019 Sunseeker 2290S
Previous (2012-2016): 2012 Vibe 6501
1 Prospector Canoe, 2 Mtn. Bikes & 4 Hiking Boots
Happy Vibe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2015, 06:50 AM   #5
Site Team

I knew what it was for without looking, but looked it up anyway.

What does that say about how old I am???
Old 09-02-2015, 07:12 AM   #6
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bama Rambler View Post
I knew what it was for without looking, but looked it up anyway.

What does that say about how old I am???
Have you ever used the string for it's purpose?

A 72 hour hold in a psych unit is beginning to intrigue me as a potential vacation opportunity.
Old 09-02-2015, 07:19 AM   #7

Did not know that. And never would have guessed it either.

Randy and Patty
2015 Sabre 33 CKTS-6 Platinum Edition
Reese 16K Slider hitch
2015 GMC Sierra 3500HD diesel dually
Old car is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2015, 07:43 AM   #8
(Dry Huunday)

Pretty interesting, thanks!

Beau & Sue
FurKid Express
2015 Coachmen Catalina 303RLS
2016 Chevy Silverado LT 2500HD Duramax
The more people I meet, the more I like my dogs!
DreiHunde is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2015, 07:45 AM   #9
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by wmtire View Post
Have you ever used the string for it's purpose?
I don't remember ever using it for it's intended purpose, but I bet my mother has.
Old 09-02-2015, 07:47 AM   #10
Phat Phrog Stunt Team

Didn't know but I do now.
Btw are you getting kick backs for each time someone Google searches animal cracker string?

TURBS
08 duramax tuned n modded
2011 32bhok Sabre
2015 camping "24 nights"
TURBS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2015, 08:00 AM   #11
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by TURBS View Post
Btw are you getting kick backs for each time someone Google searches animal cracker string?
Maybe.

Old 09-02-2015, 08:26 AM   #12
Site Team

OK, time for rest of the story, so to speak.

According to wikipedia and other sources:

Animal biscuit crackers were made and distributed under the National Biscuit Company (Nabisco) banner. In 1902, animal crackers officially became known as "Barnum's Animals" and evoked the familiar circus theme of the Barnum and Bailey Circus. Later in 1902, the now-familiar box was designed for the Christmas season with the innovative idea of attaching a string to hang from the Christmas tree. Up until that time, crackers were generally only sold in bulk (the proverbial "cracker barrel") or in large tins. These small cartons, which retailed for five cents at the time of their release, were a big hit and are still sold today.

In 1948, the company changed the product name to its current designation of "Barnum's Animals Crackers". Later, in 1958, production methods changed to improve the crackers' visual details. Until then animal shapes were stamped out of a dough sheet by a cutter. This produced outlines with little sophistication. By installing rotary dies, bakers can actually engrave details onto each cracker, creating a more intricate design. The rotary dies are still used today.

Barnum's Animals Crackers are all produced in the Fair Lawn, New Jersey Bakery by Nabisco Brands. More than 40 million packages of Barnum's Animals Crackers are sold each year, both in the United States and exported to 17 countries worldwide. The crackers are baked in a 300-foot long traveling band oven. They are in the oven for about four minutes and are baked at the rate of 12,000 per minute. Fifteen thousand cartons and 300,000 crackers are produced in a single shift, using some thirty miles of string on the packages. This runs to nearly 8,000 miles (13,000 km) of string a year. Those bright circus boxes are produced in three colors - red, blue and yellow - with different variety of animals on each.

Nabisco makes Barnum's Animals Crackers, with the distinctive package art of a circus cage on wheels and full of animals. "Barnum" refers to the famous showman and circus entrepreneur P. T. Barnum, but Nabisco does not pay a licensing fee to Barnum and Bailey Circus. The product actually says "Barnum's Animals", subtitled "Crackers". At one time, the imprinted "wheels" bent around the bottom of the box and the box's bottom were perforated to allow the wheels to be opened up straight and thus stand the box on its "wheels".

------------------------------------------

Now the sad news. I have not been able to find any of these boxes that still have the string on them. The Wikipedia article may be several years old. It looks like the newest owner of Nabisco may have stopped producing them, and have a cardboard handle on the box now.

Your mission, should you choose to accept it, is to see if you can still find any of these Nabisco boxes with the string in your travels.

I guess this is like the twinkie thing awhile back. I didn't want one, until I couldn't get one....and I also want to hang it on the Christmas tree.

Anyhow, I thought the string thing was kind of humorous, and is a piece of Americana. Hope you found it interesting too, and is one of those things you thought you knew, but actually didn't.

Old 09-03-2015, 10:48 AM   #13

The string was consider a choking or strangulation hazard. Thus removed.

2016 Ford F250 XLT 4X4 6.2L
2015 Rockwood Signature Ultralite 8329SS
Hensley Arrow
uhduh camping is offline   Reply With Quote