Old 04-14-2010, 12:43 AM   #11
Originally Posted by mjones12 View Post
FYI: Not all doctors agree that everyone over 50 should have it. My doctor says that there are risks involved, just as there are with anything, and he does not recommend it unless family history indicates a need for the test, or if there are certain other factors. But he doesn't recommend it as routine for anyone over 50. I mention this so that people can talk with their own doctors and make their own decisions on what they want to do.
Colonoscopy is one of only two tests that can view the entire colon for problems. Some doctors are prescribing the CT scan, using radioactive fluid, which is said to detect cancer better than colonoscopy.

There are other tests that can screen for this cancer that can be done in this order:

1. yearly fecal occult blood test (FOBT)*

2. flexible sigmoidoscopy every 5 years

3. yearly FOBT* plus flexible sigmoidoscopy every 5 years**

4. double-contrast barium enema every 5 years

5. colonoscopy every 10 years

However, most doctors, and the NIT recommend that a person start with the colonoscopy at age 50, then screen with some of the others in the intervening 10 years before the next colonoscopy. This is provided that polyps are not found upon the first test, in which event another colonoscopy should be done three years later.

My wife just had her colonoscopy done as she turned 50 and our doctor said that he couldn't imagine a doctor not recommending the test be done unless there was some other health reason that would preclude doing it. Otherwise, he said a healthy person would be unwise not to have the screening done at age 50, followed by other screening during the 10 years between another colonoscopy.

As you may know, colon cancer is the number two cause of cancer deaths in this country and is one of the most preventable and treatable if discovered early.

2011 Ram 1500 Laramie Longhorn, 5.7 Hemi, 3:92 differential

Tow Package W/Integrated TT Brake Controller

2015 Open Range LT274 RLS
Ray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2010, 10:08 PM   #12
My favorite part of this procedure is during recovery when you have enough gas in your intestines to launch a blimp. I played a tune I titled, "A Salute to Congress and the President" much to the delight of the hospital nursing staff.

RANGERBOB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2010, 10:42 PM   #13
Just FYI, I work for a group of Colorectal Surgeons, and yes colonoscopy is the "Gold Standard" for colorectal cancer screening. You would be surprised how many people we see in a month who are UNDER the age of 50 and have pre-cancerous polyps or colorectal cancer... So even though it is fun to laugh about, make sure you know your family history and get screened at least by age 50 or sooner if you have a family history or any unusual symptoms. "Scope the Colon... Skip the Cancer!
jsl3f5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2010, 06:12 AM   #14
Cunning Linguist
Serious subject, but very entertaining read. Still chuckling 10 minutes later
Acara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2010, 06:27 AM   #15
Jan Goldfield
Funny stuff. Funny guy, Dave Barry.

Jan Goldfield and Donna Morse
Slidell LA

2009 Cherokee Grey Wolf 28BH
2009 Ford 150