Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 01-12-2017, 07:52 PM   #1

Do ya believe the Weatherman Conspiracy?

The Disclaimer:
We are now under an ice warning for the St Louis area. Started out days ago that we could get up to .25 of an inch of ice. Today we are now at .25 to .75. Areas to the west have higher predictions. This is a dangerous life threatening condition if traveling or just staying at home.

The Prayer:
I hope for the best while having laid in supplies for the weekend. I have extra rock salt (in case of stupid and I forget to stay inside), fuel for the generator and a butt load of adult beverages should the DW and I have to talk to each other for a few days without power.

The Conspiracy:
Our local weather people are wrong so often. I think each TV station has one person that they pay big bucks and many subordinate weather people that are paid peanuts. I suspect that the subordinates supplement food for their families by putting in weather scares that send tens of thousands of people running to the grocery store to buy ingredients to make french toast.

The apology:
To any meteorologist members that have not heard this before.
Wobbles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2017, 08:29 PM   #2

Actually I have a friend that's a famous tv weatherman. Psychology here involved. Hype the hell out of it, and if you're wrong you get the snickers, but everybody is good and relieved. For shopping or travel. But go low, and there's all heck to pay for being wrong on that side. People relied on the conservative for safety. Then went out and got caught in it. Makes sense.
Mdaniels4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2017, 08:51 PM   #3

Hey wobbles, I lice east of you in Southern Indiana (Evansville) Our local weather people are saying folks in So. Ill. may get the brunt of the storm as we are on the fringe and may not get anything.

But I have to admit that anytime I hear freezing rain/ice storms, I get a little nervous. Back in '09 we had a bad ice storm and folks lost power for up to a week or more! Still fresh on our minds.

Wish you luck and Be Safe!
Blue Ox SwayPro WDH
glsimms is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2017, 08:53 PM   #4

SWMBO gets really upset with me when I dis her favorite weather people saying, "They can't tell the weather standing out in it!" The fact is, even with all the new technology they are no more accurate than 20 years ago IMHO.
Old 01-12-2017, 08:56 PM   #5
World Wide Wanderer

We call them weather guessers... Only people that seemed to get paid regardless of how accurate they are.

"Light rain, changing to snow, little to no accumulation..." 14" of snow later...

Aaron

2016 Coachmen Concord 300DS
2015 Fusion Hybrid following along
wahoonc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2017, 09:00 PM   #6

Here in the southwest, the only predictions that are close to being correct are for wind. I only believe forecasts for any kind of precipitation if at least 5 different weather sources all agree.

I've always said I should of been a weatherman. Don't have to be correct, or even close, and you still get paid
Reese Fifth Airborne Sidewinder
NMWildcat is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2017, 09:32 PM   #7

This is the only weather forecaster that I believe!

S.E. Mich. Flagstaff 26FKWS / 2022 F-150 3.5 EcoBoost SCrew Propride
SailorSam20500 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2017, 09:36 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by NMWildcat View Post
Here in the southwest, the only predictions that are close to being correct are for wind. I only believe forecasts for any kind of precipitation if at least 5 different weather sources all agree.

I've always said I should of been a weatherman. Don't have to be correct, or even close, and you still get paid
Politicians and weather forecasters have a lot in common.....
SidecarFlip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2017, 09:41 PM   #9
Oklahoma Proud

Our Oklahoma weather people are pretty good. They are predicting tornadoes and severe weather almost a week out.
Granted 1 year of Oklahoma weather experience would equal out to many more years worth of weather experience in many states.
Call me crazy, but i find it all extremely interesting and love to see all the different weather we do get! Wouldn't want to live anywhere else!
MillerTime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2017, 08:05 AM   #10

Here in NE Florida, we have one TV station's weatherman that gets it wrong all the time and calls it a first alert weather day. A First Alert Weather day means, we will have no national programming and all the station's weather team along with a handful of reporters show taped loops of mud puddles and a leaf blown down 350 times an hour.
Retired JSO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2017, 08:30 AM   #11
Pickin', Campin', Mason

Meteorologist... can't tell you what happened yesterday, let alone what's going to happen tomorrow!

Not really that bad but you know what I'm getting at.
They sensationalize everything anymore to the point you don't know what to think.
Kind of like the boy who cried wolf.

We get 150+ inches of snow here a year. Sometimes 200"
Anymore when we are to get 2-3" they make this big deal of it when it's really just a common occurrence.

Days Camped '19=118 '20=116 '21=123 '22=134 '23=118 '24=64
5picker is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2017, 08:39 AM   #12

A couple of our local tv meteorologists give 10 day forecasts. Personally I don't give them credit for anything over 48 hours.
Wiscampsin is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2017, 08:49 AM   #13

Forecasts in summer are easier. Winter, not so much.

Like above, my Weather Rock is never wrong.

But we all tune in, day after day. We joke about how wrong they are......then we watch again today. We have at least 3 weather apps on our phone. We have at least 3 URL's of weather sites saved as Fav's. We look. We check.

Then we laugh at how wrong they are.

Then we check again.

FROG AR-0019-242
2016 GMC Denali 3500Dually--2017 CC 36CKTS
BandJCarm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2017, 09:34 AM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by MillerTime View Post
Our Oklahoma weather people are pretty good. They are predicting tornadoes and severe weather almost a week out.
Granted 1 year of Oklahoma weather experience would equal out to many more years worth of weather experience in many states.
Call me crazy, but i find it all extremely interesting and love to see all the different weather we do get! Wouldn't want to live anywhere else!
Mccurtain County is where tornadoes BEGIN!!

FYI: red wasps begin in Willisville, AR I have seen...never so many red wasps in one place. They was herded up like bees
born in Texas.... live in Arkansas
Iwannacamp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2017, 09:51 AM   #15

well, i wish they were wrong, but i can tell you my step off the house are ice covered and slicker than snot

picked up a few supplies from the store last night, it was a mad house. There was literally empty shelves in places.

I figure i have full gas cans, my two champion generators, full batteries, a trailer I could hide in and enough adult beverages that I will never know or care there is a storm.

My biggest fear is losing power and not being able to watch the football games.

Hmmm, maybe I should go crank the TV antenna on the Trailer up real quick.
Old 01-13-2017, 09:53 AM   #16

If you have a crank up type, better do that before it is encased in ice...
Wobbles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2017, 10:23 AM   #17
Oklahoma Proud

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iwannacamp View Post
Mccurtain County is where tornadoes BEGIN!!

FYI: red wasps begin in Willisville, AR I have seen...never so many red wasps in one place. They was herded up like bees
Might seem that way in Arkansas, but in reality, our tornados usually start around the Canadian, Grady, Cleveland, Mcclain and Oklahoma county areas and then travel up the i44 corridor.
Oklahoma city area is the most hit city for tornadoes in the country (maybe world? ). I believe Huntsville Alabama is 2nd.
MillerTime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2017, 11:56 PM   #18

I pay no attention to the local weather forecasts in the Philly area as they are almost always wrong.

And yes, the hype the "storms" too much. Friends and family check the weather many times a day and always worty about something that almost never hsppens.

Formerly a 2013 Sunseeker 2250 SLEC.
Delco Bobby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2017, 12:05 AM   #19

I'm in the St Louis area as well, about 5 miles south of the airport. My sidewalk and front step are glazed in ice, but the local streets seem good. My only concern is power loss. I have the camper with a fully charged battery and mostly full tank of propane, but, can't run the furnace for two days on battery power. So, even though it's forecast to continue until Sunday afternoon, I'm hoping that they are just a bit wrong, and the temps get above, and stay above, freezing until it's over. That'll take care of all that nasty ice!

2016 Cherokee Wolf Pup 17RP
2007 Chevy Trailblazer
2007 Chevy Avalanche
2007 Yamaha V-Star 1100 Custom
stlouielady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2017, 11:54 AM   #20

During the 9am news the weatherman said we would have a "dry weekend"

I'd sooner take the word of a CW service rep.