Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-16-2010, 11:49 AM   #1

Don't camp next to me!

This is for your safety!
I don’t want any of my bad luck to rub off on any of you good folks

I started out tent camping. Never had any repair problems. Then I went with a pup. Had zero problems as well, but it didn’t have very many options so there wasn’t a lot on it to go wrong. Wife wanted a bathroom and more private sleeping quarters and a better kitchen. So we bought a Salem. Used this tt for several years with only a few minor problems, then the hail storm. Beat up the front and curb side aluminum pretty bad. State Farm Ins took care of it, $7,200 and 3 months in the shop.

I didn’t want to go through that again so I bought the Rockwood. In Feb ‘09. First summer we camped about 6 or 7 times and had the usual issues plus a couple that required taking it in to the shop for repairs, 2 different trips. I’m thinking, okay getting all the bugs worked out. Winterized it then found a few problems the first of Feb this year so I took it back to the shop before the warranty ran out. Got it back and discovered delamination.

FR picked the tt up 3rd week of March, replaced both sidewalls and returned it 6½ weeks later about mid May, but I couldn't pick it up for another week because the delivery driver hit a curb and busted the front steps, broke the slideout lower trim supports and the slideout wheel trim. We went camping the first of June. Had a few issues but I took care of them myself. Went again mid July and had AC issues, so I a made a list and took it to the shop. Picked it up a couple of weeks later, went straight to the campground and 4 new issues came up. I fixed 2 of them and took it to a different shop. After a month and 2 weeks I brought it home and found 2 more issues that required it going back to the shop.

Oh yeah, both shops are approx 100 miles from where I live. There is one shop, not a FR repair shop, about 35 miles away but I have dealt with them before and didn’t have a very good experience, so I won’t go back there.

Now after the June trip, I start thinking maybe I want to get out from underneath this tt. Whether I do it or not depends on how big a hit I’m gonna have to take. I start checking into it and found a way that I can make it happen that‘s not too painful. That’s why I switched repair shops. I’ll be buying from a different dealer so I gave them the work. At the end of July we found the tt we wanted but it was sold and they said it would be 2 weeks before they get another one. I waited three weeks and it still wasn’t in. They said they would check into it. Turns out the owner claims he wasn't aware of the deal and released the tt to another dealer.

After a few weeks, it’s the end of August now, they tell me the new tt will come off line Sept 26th and they will have it on the lot within a week. My wife takes time off from work for the second weekend in Oct so we can have a long camping weekend. This is when I take the tt in for repairs so it will be in top shape when I trade it in and I start making plans. The first week in Oct and no trailer. I go to the dealership and ask about the trailer and they found out it comes off line Oct 26th, not Sept 26th! So my wife wasted 2 vacation days and we missed a beautiful weekend of camping, highs in the low 80’s and lows in the mid to high 50’s.

I picked up the Rockwood yesterday. Everything checked out so I bring it home. I hooked the tt up to the house and now the new Concertone, 2nd replacement, doesn’t work. The latch on the couch drawer was broke, they had put new ones on that didn’t keep the drawer closed while traveling and the drawer is now busted. There is a small leak in the kitchen window. They wanted to do a pressure test and FR wouldn’t pay for it. I didn’t want to pay $300 myself since I am trading the tt in so they charged me $75 for a diagnostic test that consisted of a guy squirting the window with a water hose for maybe 5 minutes. I had to pay this since there was no leak found and FR would only pay if a repair was performed.

Now let me say this. I writing this hoping that those of you who read this long winded post get a little chuckle out of it. I know I am, although it wasn’t always that way. There where times I was pretty upset with what was happening, but time heals all wounds and I can laugh at it all now.

I also want to point out that all the repair work done by the shops has been taken care of by FR. They even gave me the 1 year extended warranty free after the delamination repair.
I’m only out the expenses of my own repairs, about a dozen 200 mile round trips to the repair shops and approximately 4 months of payments while the tt was unusable sitting at the repair shops.

I just love camping and one of these days I'm gonna get to do it! When I do, for everyone’s safety, don’t camp next to me or some of this bad luck may get on you!
grhodes50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2010, 12:01 PM   #2

I'll take my chances. Hope I get the opportunity some day to camp with you, that is if you ever get your RV.

Hoping the best for you with the new one. Send pics as always when you get it..
Nights camped in 2009: 53 | Nights camped in 2010: 55
www.nwjeepn.com
NWJeeper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2010, 01:13 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by NWJeeper View Post
I'll take my chances. Hope I get the opportunity some day to camp with you, that is if you ever get your RV.

Hoping the best for you with the new one. Send pics as always when you get it..
Thanks! I believe we could have a pretty good time camping. You could give me some tips on bass fishing and I might be able to help you with some crappie and jug line tips.

One good thing about all this. Since the delivery of the new trailer is delayed I will get Prime Time's current promotion, $3,800 of free upgrades. I talked with a Prime Time representative who happened to be at the dealership yesterday. He went over a lot of the features with me. I told him I was most impressed with the construction of the trailers. He mentioned the eternabound constrution so I asked, "No delamination?". He claims none. He also noted, I watched him do this, that the shipment of my trailer is "hot". He said he'll make sure it gets to the dealership less than a week after coming off the line.

One of the upgrades is an actual high gloss fibreglass finish on the trailer. Looking forward to seeing it.
Old 10-16-2010, 06:55 PM   #4
Wanna Be Camper

Hey I know where your coming from, maybe my luck with our Dodge megacab (45 trips for repairs in 27 months, Chrysler extended our bumper to bumper as well and have managed to repair everything from a complete new front end, 3 intermediate steering shafts, 3 wiper motors. 3 blower motors uh ok I guess you can get the picture) and your luck with trailers will cancel everything out and we will live happily ever after. It does get to the point that all you can do is laugh.

Here's to you and a new start

John & Deb
2011 F250 Lariat FX4 Crew Cab 6.2
2011 Flagstaff V-Lite 30WRLS
SaskCampers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2010, 07:59 PM   #5

Good things come to those that wait. I haven't crappie fished in a long time, not since I was a kid, but I remember that once you find them the bite is on and it just keeps going on. What a great time! Would love to fish with you sometime GHrodes.
Nights camped in 2009: 53 | Nights camped in 2010: 55
www.nwjeepn.com
NWJeeper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2010, 09:33 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by NWJeeper View Post
Good things come to those that wait. I haven't crappie fished in a long time, not since I was a kid, but I remember that once you find them the bite is on and it just keeps going on. What a great time! Would love to fish with you sometime GHrodes.
Springtime is best for crappie, catch 'em when they're spawning. But if your patient and can brave the cold, winter can be really good. Just fish deeper. I usually catch bigger ones during winter.
It don't seem like you can get into the big schools like I did when I was a kid. I can remember catching 3 or 4 dozen in one afternoon. Now a couple of dozen is a pretty good day.
Nothing like fresh batter dipped crappie for dinner at the campsite.
Old 10-16-2010, 10:57 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheSasks View Post
Hey I know where your coming from, maybe my luck with our Dodge megacab (45 trips for repairs in 27 months, Chrysler extended our bumper to bumper as well and have managed to repair everything from a complete new front end, 3 intermediate steering shafts, 3 wiper motors. 3 blower motors uh ok I guess you can get the picture) and your luck with trailers will cancel everything out and we will live happily ever after. It does get to the point that all you can do is laugh.

Here's to you and a new start
Good luck on your truck. I know there are plenty of happy Dodge owners. Guess you just got that "special" one.
Old 10-17-2010, 08:50 AM   #8

Wow,

If it makes you feel better.......you made me fell allot better about the few problems I've had

J/K .... hope you have better luck (you will) with the new unit...........and yes, we would camp next to you.........

Happy Camping !
1930 lbs CCC
2014 Jeep Rubicon JK
Going where the weather suits my clothes.
Steeljag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2010, 04:17 PM   #9

"I'll take my chances." NWJeeper

"and yes, we would camp next to you........." steeljag

Man, what some people will risk for a chance at a free crappie dinner!
Old 10-18-2010, 01:59 AM   #10

Location: Canandaigua,New York (The heart of the Finger Lakes)
Good luck with the new TT, Prime Time appears to be doing it right !! Keep us posted !! Hopefully I can camp next to you !! Want to see that Brand Spanky New TT. Im sure your going to be happy !!! Im getting excited for you !! Post up some picture's !!
BigRed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2010, 05:01 AM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by rhodes 50 View Post
This is for your safety!
I don’t want any of my bad luck to rub off on any of you good folks

I started out tent camping. Never had any repair problems. Then I went with a pup. Had zero problems as well, but it didn’t have very many options so there wasn’t a lot on it to go wrong. Wife wanted a bathroom and more private sleeping quarters and a better kitchen. So we bought a Salem. Used this tt for several years with only a few minor problems, then the hail storm. Beat up the front and curb side aluminum pretty bad. State Farm Ins took care of it, $7,200 and 3 months in the shop.

I didn’t want to go through that again so I bought the Rockwood. In Feb ‘09. First summer we camped about 6 or 7 times and had the usual issues plus a couple that required taking it in to the shop for repairs, 2 different trips. I’m thinking, okay getting all the bugs worked out. Winterized it then found a few problems the first of Feb this year so I took it back to the shop before the warranty ran out. Got it back and discovered delamination.

FR picked the tup 3rd week of March, replaced both sidewalls and returned it 6½ weeks later about mid May, but I couldn't pick it up for another week because the delivery driver hit a curb and busted the front steps, broke the slide out lower trim supports and the slide out wheel trim. We went camping the first of June. Had a few issues but I took care of them myself. Went again mid July and had AC issues, so I a made a list and took it to the shop. Picked it up a couple of weeks later, went straight to the campground and 4 new issues came up. I fixed 2 of them and took it to a different shop. After a month and 2 weeks I brought it home and found 2 more issues that required it going back to the shop.

Oh yeah, both shops are approx 100 miles from where I live. There is one shop, not a FR repair shop, about 35 miles away but I have dealt with them before and didn’t have a very good experience, so I won’t go back there.

Now after the June trip, I start thinking maybe I want to get out from underneath this tt. Whether I do it or not depends on how big a hit I’m gonna have to take. I start checking into it and found a way that I can make it happen that‘s not too painful. That’s why I switched repair shops. I’ll be buying from a different dealer so I gave them the work. At the end of July we found the tt we wanted but it was sold and they said it would be 2 weeks before they get another one. I waited three weeks and it still wasn’t in. They said they would check into it. Turns out the owner claims he wasn't aware of the deal and released the tt to another dealer.

After a few weeks, it’s the end of August now, they tell me the new tt will come off line Sept 26th and they will have it on the lot within a week. My wife takes time off from work for the second weekend in Oct so we can have a long camping weekend. This is when I take the tt in for repairs so it will be in top shape when I trade it in and I start making plans. The first week in Oct and no trailer. I go to the dealership and ask about the trailer and they found out it comes off line Oct 26th, not Sept 26th! So my wife wasted 2 vacation days and we missed a beautiful weekend of camping, highs in the low 80’s and lows in the mid to high 50’s.

I picked up the Rockwood yesterday. Everything checked out so I bring it home. I hooked the tt up to the house and now the new Concertone, 2nd replacement, doesn’t work. The latch on the couch drawer was broke, they had put new ones on that didn’t keep the drawer closed while traveling and the drawer is now busted. There is a small leak in the kitchen window. They wanted to do a pressure test and FR wouldn’t pay for it. I didn’t want to pay $300 myself since I am trading the tt in so they charged me $75 for a diagnostic test that consisted of a guy squirting the window with a water hose for maybe 5 minutes. I had to pay this since there was no leak found and FR would only pay if a repair was performed.

Now let me say this. I writing this hoping that those of you who read this long winded post get a little chuckle out of it. I know I am, although it wasn’t always that way. There where times I was pretty upset with what was happening, but time heals all wounds and I can laugh at it all now. :rofl black:

I also want to point out that all the repair work done by the shops has been taken care of by FR. They even gave me the 1 year extended warranty free after the delamination repair.
I’m only out the expenses of my own repairs, about a dozen 200 mile round trips to the repair shops and approximately 4 months of payments while the tt was unusable sitting at the repair shops.

I just love camping and one of these days I'm gonna get to do it! When I do, for everyone’s safety, don’t camp next to me or some of this bad luck may get on you! :sign good luck:

You have more history on your rig then most women have shoes. With the luck you have had I feel your pain, as you know my luck ran out as well but I was not able to return my rig to Forest River because of all the stuff that went wrong with mine happen after the warranty ran out and now the damage is done.
With as many forest River products that are sold it makes no difference if one parks next to you or not, it's a chain reaction it's at the point now when one parks in a campground you can't help but park next to or across from a Forest River product.
Forest River is getting to be like Fleet Wood was, especially here in the North/East, Rock Wood is big here.
We have a contractor here on site where I work that just bought a brand new Forest River camper and I had just learned that the interior celling had fallen in, I am waiting to talk to him this morning. This info came from a fellow worker last week, this should be some conversation.
I have to give you credit, you have expressed a very cool and calm attitude with all of the issues with your rig thought your threads and replies, but i bet the hair on the back of your head is standing straight up and your face is a bright red from anger.
Thanks for passing on your experience with your rig, this helps not only myself but others on the issues that can pop up with campers. People need to know that RVs are not trouble free and there are all ways small things that need taken care of, but when there are structural problems then that is something all together different.
rockwood06 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2010, 05:51 AM   #12

rockwood06 & BigRed

Thanks. I have come to understand that since we walk this earth one time and one time only, it's our choice how we spend that time. I choose to spend it as happy as I possibly can. That doesn't mean that I don't have my moments, I do, but being angry really doesn't do me our those around me any good. I always told my kids, it's not a problem as long as we can come up with a solution. If you run out of options, then you have a problem. I guess you can say I'm just trying to make lemonade out of this big ole lemon I've got. The best way to do that is remaining calm. It's kind of hard to make good, rational decisions when your upset.

If somwhow my post helps someone, great.

rockwood06, how's that cabin working out. I hope you and your family are able to take the time to enjoy it. I know you understand what I'm trying to say. You have had your share of problems and you have handled things in a positive manner and hopefully you are happy with your decision.
Please pass on the info you find about about your co-workers problem. It may help someone else as well.

Thanks again guys and good luck.
Old 10-18-2010, 06:55 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by grhodes50 View Post
rockwood06 & BigRed

Thanks. I have come to understand that since we walk this earth one time and one time only, it's our choice how we spend that time. I choose to spend it as happy as I possibly can. That doesn't mean that I don't have my moments, I do, but being angry really doesn't do me our those around me any good. I always told my kids, it's not a problem as long as we can come up with a solution. If you run out of options, then you have a problem. I guess you can say I'm just trying to make lemonade out of this big ole lemon I've got. The best way to do that is remaining calm. It's kind of hard to make good, rational decisions when your upset.

If somwhow my post helps someone, great.

rockwood06, how's that cabin working out. I hope you and your family are able to take the time to enjoy it. I know you understand what I'm trying to say. You have had your share of problems and you have handled things in a positive manner and hopefully you are happy with your decision.
Please pass on the info you find about about your co-workers problem. It may help someone else as well.

Thanks again guys and good luck.
I think we did the right thing by buying the cabin, as of this past week end I was able to set and drink a few cold ones around the fire ring and had friends over. Now we bought the cabin in Aug and we have been busy getting things done from all new furniture to new light fixture, this stuff did not have to be done but it was a way to make it ours.

My camper is home and after this camping season I need to come up with a plan to fix the walls which is the main issue for now.
Prior to this last cluster of bubbles that pop up we were ready to trade it in for a Windjammer at a cost of $33,000 bucks. The dealer made and offer of $15,000 for my 8314ss, will by buying the cabin for $4,000 look at how much we have saved and it is a 1997 model and I have spent less then $40.00 bucks on repairs that needed to be done, so for now I can keep the other $31,000 in my pocket. As far as the money spent on up grades for the cabin, we spent about $2,500 on new items like curtains furniture and light fixtures.
It has a real toilet, fridge and central heat and a/c and a 30 gallon water heater and it all works great.

As I had mention this morning about a contractor at work that was having problems with his new RockWood, he was not there today but I am sure I will see him before phase II is complete, I will get the scoop and pass It on.
Old 10-19-2010, 11:44 AM   #14

I am glad I read all about it,and I won't complain with the few things we had fixed on our Wildcat.
Hope the new tt shows up and is a wonderful unit for you and your wife.
CountryGirl2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2010, 04:14 PM   #15

rockwood06,

It's great to hear you've got your cabin fixed up. I bet it's really nice. Good to hear you are able sit around the campfire with friends and enjoy it. After all, that's what it's all about.

CountryGirl2,

Congrats on the new Wildcat. I have looked at a few of them and they seem to be really nice trailers. I'm sure you'll get the "newbie bugs" worked out soon and will have a great trailer you and your family will enjoy for years to come.

Thanks again and good luck.
Old 10-19-2010, 04:38 PM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by grhodes50 View Post
rockwood06,

It's great to hear you've got your cabin fixed up. I bet it's really nice. Good to hear you are able sit around the campfire with friends and enjoy it. After all, that's what it's all about.

CountryGirl2,

Congrats on the new Wildcat. I have looked at a few of them and they seem to be really nice trailers. I'm sure you'll get the "newbie bugs" worked out soon and will have a great trailer you and your family will enjoy for years to come.

Thanks again and good luck.
This coming week end it is Holloween time for the kids and a site contest, we are decorated but everyone around thinks I am done, boy do they have a surprise coming to them when I use my golf cart as part of a graveyard setting and me in a costume in the golf cart with fog under the cart and LED lights flashing in the fog. I will have a campfire going and a cold beer under my black robe I just need to figer out how I am going to drink it with a mask on.
Old 10-19-2010, 05:51 PM   #17

Straw?