Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Closed Thread

Old 12-07-2015, 06:02 PM   #321

Uss belknap shows how "military grade" aluminum holds up in a fire. Her hull was metal, upper works aluminum.

The Ticos have another problem with aluminum, cracking. The USN has spent millions fixing massive cracks in their superstructure.

Another downside to using aluminum is the interaction of metal and aluminum.
Old 12-07-2015, 06:13 PM   #322

I've done a lot of aluminum work... but riveting a sailplane together is a different animal, altogether...
Old 12-07-2015, 08:28 PM   #323

Quote:
Originally Posted by drittal View Post
Uss belknap shows how "military grade" aluminum holds up in a fire. Her hull was metal, upper works aluminum.

The Ticos have another problem with aluminum, cracking. The USN has spent millions fixing massive cracks in their superstructure.

Another downside to using aluminum is the interaction of metal and aluminum.
Must be bad because GM and RAM are both going to Aluminum body's in the near future.

It's all marketing. Ford bashed boxed frames on heavy duty trucks but is bragging about its 2017 using a boxed frame. GM and RAM will bash Aluminum until they make the obvious switch and then will 360 on themselves and praise it.

TT: 2016 40' Chaparral 360IBL at 14000lbs
TV: 2016 F450 Platinum 6.7 CC LWB FX4, B&W Companion Hitch
Old 12-07-2015, 09:16 PM   #324

Quote:
Originally Posted by IronCobra View Post
Must be bad because GM and RAM are both going to Aluminum body's in the near future.

It's all marketing. Ford bashed boxed frames on heavy duty trucks but is bragging about its 2017 using a boxed frame. GM and RAM will bash Aluminum until they make the obvious switch and then will 360 on themselves and praise it.
How quickly the public forgets! It's what they count on.

2016 Mini Lite 2503S - tt (2015 - ???)
2011 Traverse LT, 3.6L, FWD
2009 Silverado 1500 Ext Cab, 5.3L, 4x4, 3.73
2016 Silverado 2500HD Dbl Cab, 6.0L 4x4, 4.10
Old 12-07-2015, 10:47 PM   #325

Aluminum, composite, and plastic oh my.

Its not about whats better or stronger. Its about maintaining the size that the truck buying public wants, and at the same time meeting government mandated fuel mileage requirements. Those are getting progressivly tighter as time gos on. You can only meet those mandates by making current sized parts lighter, or make them smaller. The way these arguments go about aluminum, who the hell wants to make the first plastic body truck lol? There is only so much mileage your'e going to gain in engines before you take the reliability and toss it out the window, or sacrifice power. No such thing as a free lunch. Why do you think GM is reducing powertrain warranty length for 2016? They know what sacrifices are going to be required in the near future and are attempting to ease the customer base into it.

You're seeing the beginning of the end of the full size pickup as we know it. It may take 15 or 20 years but thats the direction its going. Next on the hit list is the heavy duty trucks that have always been exempt from the mandates. That is changing. One of the things being discussed is requiring buyers to prove they have a legitimate need for a heavy duty truck. That will be a business need, not an RV or recreation need. Another thing mentioned is an "environmental tax". One of those taxes that even though you can afford it, it's so expensive you don't want to afford it. Hell, there are states attempting to tax the amount of miles you drive. Enjoy them while you can. Don't think that the RV Industry is going to lobby this away either. If the big 3 can't lobby it away neither can the RV manufacturers. Do you remember the Chevy Luv, Ford Courier, and the mini motorhomes on the Datsun chassis? That's where this is going eventually. The difference between back in the 70's and now is they will now cost 50K or more. Its going to be interesting full timing in a teardrop trailer.
Old 12-07-2015, 10:55 PM   #326

Quote:
Originally Posted by drittal View Post
That's motivating! Wow. When I built my 440, I went for slightly more than stock Magnum specs.

.040 over
Lunatic Voodoo 60304 276/284. .513/.533
MP template ported stock heads
Edelbrock CH4B intake <--old school but still makes good power and low enough to clear hood.
Street Demon 750
8 3/4" sure grip with 3.23.

Dang. Y'all got me thinking of my old '68 road runner I had so long...never got the money to fix...I had a 440 .30 over. Torker intake. 1150 dominator. 4:30 gears. Crane 580/600 lift 268/278 split cam. 4500 Fairbanks converter...bla bla.

Coulda shoulda woulda deal. Boy I sold it to prolly has $75k+ in it.

Mmmmmm.

Sent from my iPhone using Forest River Forums
born in Texas.... live in Arkansas
Old 12-08-2015, 08:08 AM   #327

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Havercamp View Post

Its not about whats better or stronger. Its about maintaining the size that the truck buying public wants, and at the same time meeting government mandated fuel mileage requirements. Those are getting progressivly tighter as time gos on. You can only meet those mandates by making current sized parts lighter, or make them smaller. The way these arguments go about aluminum, who the hell wants to make the first plastic body truck lol? There is only so much mileage your'e going to gain in engines before you take the reliability and toss it out the window, or sacrifice power. No such thing as a free lunch. Why do you think GM is reducing powertrain warranty length for 2016? They know what sacrifices are going to be required in the near future and are attempting to ease the customer base into it.

You're seeing the beginning of the end of the full size pickup as we know it. It may take 15 or 20 years but thats the direction its going. Next on the hit list is the heavy duty trucks that have always been exempt from the mandates. That is changing. One of the things being discussed is requiring buyers to prove they have a legitimate need for a heavy duty truck. That will be a business need, not an RV or recreation need. Another thing mentioned is an "environmental tax". One of those taxes that even though you can afford it, it's so expensive you don't want to afford it. Hell, there are states attempting to tax the amount of miles you drive. Enjoy them while you can. Don't think that the RV Industry is going to lobby this away either. If the big 3 can't lobby it away neither can the RV manufacturers. Do you remember the Chevy Luv, Ford Courier, and the mini motorhomes on the Datsun chassis? That's where this is going eventually. The difference between back in the 70's and now is they will now cost 50K or more. Its going to be interesting full timing in a teardrop trailer.

I'm afraid there is much truth to this. It's for our own good, of course
Old 12-08-2015, 10:52 AM   #328

Quote:

Also consider RV mfg's are also trying to reduce the weights of the RV's so as to allow more smaller trucks to tow them

2014 F150 FX4 Crew 4X4 EB
2015 Roo 23IKSS

Old 12-08-2015, 03:51 PM   #329

Quote:
Originally Posted by wicked1 View Post
Also consider RV mfg's are also trying to reduce the weights of the RV's so as to allow more smaller trucks to tow them

2014 F150 FX4 Crew 4X4 EB
2015 Roo 23IKSS

Really;
My 2016 Cedar Creek 34RL is a tad heavy for a 1/2ton too pull. The GVWR is listed at 16,173 and it is the lightest one of the different Cedar Creek models when I bought mine.
Old 12-08-2015, 03:56 PM   #330

Quote:

That's OK since; I will keep my 2008 Dodge with the Cummins engine for another 20+ years. There are some members of Turbo Diesel Register that are still using the First Gen trucks to tow with and they are between 25 and 28 years old. By the time I wear out my 08; I will be to old to tow any ways.
Old 12-08-2015, 04:34 PM   #331

Send a message via Skype™ to DAISY BOYKIN
My # 1 ford

My new ride is a F-250 P/S King Ranch
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20151208_110153.jpg
Views:	110
Size:	256.7 KB
ID:	95790  
TST Truck System Technologies TM-507SE
DAYS CAMPED 2023 69 DAYS
[SIGPIC][/SI[SIGPIC]
Old 12-08-2015, 05:15 PM   #332

They are all good till they break. I have 2 ram 3500"s. An 04 and an 07. I make my living with these trucks. In total, my major repairs have been 3 transmissions, 1 transfer case, 1 front differential, 2 front drive shafts and one rear drive shaft. The milage on the 04 is 1,103,000 and the 07 is 1,801,000. Yes that's millions. And they work fairly hard. Original motors, turbos and injectors. This is my living so it's dodge for me! Like I said, they're all good.
Old 12-08-2015, 05:34 PM   #333
2007 WildCat 32QBBS

Quote:
Originally Posted by larryo View Post
They are all good till they break. I have 2 ram 3500"s. An 04 and an 07. I make my living with these trucks. In total, my major repairs have been 3 transmissions, 1 transfer case, 1 front differential, 2 front drive shafts and one rear drive shaft. The milage on the 04 is 1,103,000 and the 07 is 1,801,000. Yes that's millions. And they work fairly hard. Original motors, turbos and injectors. This is my living so it's dodge for me! Like I said, they're all good.
The difference between you and many is that you're using your trucks appropriately, working them as intended.
Too many people buy diesels and let them sit for long periods of time with an occasional driveway idle or drive around the neighborhood which is diesel abuse. Then they wonder why they have issues.
If you want them to last, get out and work it or go buy a gasser.
Old 12-08-2015, 05:40 PM   #334

Quote:
Originally Posted by DAISY BOYKIN View Post
My new ride is a F-250 P/S King Ranch
Looks like you are practicing driving in that parking lot, good for you. Maybe you will start missing curbs.... Congrats on the new TV.

Old 12-08-2015, 08:41 PM   #335

Quote:
Originally Posted by 05CrewDually View Post
The difference between you and many is that you're using your trucks appropriately, working them as intended.
Too many people buy diesels and let them sit for long periods of time with an occasional driveway idle or drive around the neighborhood which is diesel abuse. Then they wonder why they have issues.
If you want them to last, get out and work it or go buy a gasser.
Also, I cross into the States at Pembina ND. From that point (I29 to Fargo then I94 all the way to exit 40 in Indiana. 948 miles) there is not 1 stop sign or light. So I really don't do much stop and go driving which makes a big difference. When I'm busy I put roughly 4000 miles a week on each truck.
Old 12-08-2015, 08:44 PM   #336

I did forget one thing to tell the OP. Congratulations on the new truck!
Old 12-08-2015, 10:10 PM   #337

Send a message via AIM to B and B
Thanks!
2015 Heartland Bighorn 5th Wheel
2013 FR Rockwood 8289WS 5th Wheel
2012 FR Rockwood 2703 SS Travel Trailer
Old 12-08-2015, 10:12 PM   #338
Left Coast

Send a message via Yahoo to bob caldwell
Heard from OC?
Old 12-22-2015, 11:49 AM   #339

I'll just leave this here.