Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 01-23-2014, 08:54 AM   #1
Camper Less Camping

Georgia Weather...

Click image for larger version

Name:	ForumRunner_20140123_085434.jpg
Views:	218
Size:	22.0 KB
ID:	45294

lol!

Old 01-23-2014, 09:21 AM   #2
RKR

Lmao , that's funny.
RKR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2014, 03:02 PM   #3
B47

There is some crazy weather going on - Houston is under a Winter Warning though Friday morning with 1/5 inch of freezing rain and sleet forecasted.

Galveston is expecting sleet and snow flurries with a low of 30 expected tonight.
B47 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2014, 04:01 PM   #4

Oh the humanity! I laughed when I saw the "warning" for Texas. UP TO 1/4 OF AN INCH OF SNOW!!! Egads the world is coming to an end. The problem is that no one knows how to drive in it and they do absolutely nothing to the roads when it snows or ices over. So they just wait until it melts and life comes to a screeching halt. The only people who venture out are the transplants from colder climates who can handle ANYTHING mother nature throws at them!

Sent from my SCH-I605 using Forest River Forums mobile app
trudinator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2014, 04:44 PM   #5
B47

Quote:
Originally Posted by trudinator View Post
Oh the humanity! I laughed when I saw the "warning" for Texas. UP TO 1/4 OF AN INCH OF SNOW!!! Egads the world is coming to an end. The problem is that no one knows how to drive in it and they do absolutely nothing to the roads when it snows or ices over. So they just wait until it melts and life comes to a screeching halt. The only people who venture out are the transplants from colder climates who can handle ANYTHING mother nature throws at them!

Sent from my SCH-I605 using Forest River Forums mobile app
If you're referring to my previous post here, I said 1/5 inch of freezing rain and sleet. But the fact that's the forecast for Houston is what's unusual IMO.
Old 01-23-2014, 04:44 PM   #6
NELA

Quote:
Originally Posted by B47 View Post
There is some crazy weather going on - Houston is under a Winter Warning though Friday morning with 1/5 inch of freezing rain and sleet forecasted.

Galveston is expecting sleet and snow flurries with a low of 30 expected tonight.
It's 37 here now...and that's also our high for today. Tonight is predicted to be high teens. WCF is 29. That wind feels like it's cutting right through your multiple layers of clothing.

Snow and sleet flurries since 1:30 PM.

While 1/5 inch is laughable to those up North, around here any amount of ice and/or snow can be deadly, as people here are NOT accustomed to it and it inevitably brings out the crazies who feel they just HAVE to go to WalMart. (eye roll) And they invariably see ice on a bridge and slam on their brakes.

If age is a state of mind, and I've lost my mind, I'm AGELESS, right?
Give me 40 acres and I'll turn this rig around:
Flagstaff 5er 2014 8528 IKWS, Platinum Package, Regency Interior "Buffy"
F250 Super Duty 2013 Tuxedo Black "Biff"
Days camped 2014: 30
Weezer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2014, 04:48 PM   #7
B47

Quote:
Originally Posted by Weezer View Post
It's 37 here now...and that's also our high for today. Tonight is predicted to be high teens. WCF is 29. That wind feels like it's cutting right through your multiple layers of clothing.

Snow and sleet flurries since 1:30 PM.

While 1/5 inch is laughable to those up North, around here any amount of ice and/or snow can be deadly, as people here are NOT accustomed to it and it inevitably brings out the crazies who feel they just HAVE to go to WalMart. (eye roll) And they invariably see ice on a bridge and slam on their brakes.
Right on - here in DFW it's currently 28 with a low of 18 tonight. Warmer tomorrow.
Old 01-23-2014, 04:49 PM   #8
NELA

And, you can bet on it....all grocery stores will have their shelves stripped of Milk, Bread, Water, etc.

I can remember as a child we got snow here often....deep snow, so much and so often that Mom ordered snow suits for us every fall from Sears Roebuck.

Old 01-23-2014, 04:54 PM   #9
B47

Quote:
Originally Posted by Weezer View Post
And, you can bet on it....all grocery stores will have their shelves stripped of Milk, Bread, Water, etc.

I can remember as a child we got snow here often....deep snow, so much and so often that Mom ordered snow suits for us every fall from Sears Roebuck.
And in addition to those items you mentioned, there's always a rush on those outdoor water spigot covers Every time freezing temps are forecasted here. I guess people don't think or remember that they are reusable.
Old 01-23-2014, 07:29 PM   #10
Moderator Emeritus

They cover their water taps just because of a little freeze? I think I had bothered draining mine the first year I bought my house. 3 houses and many decades later without a problem just leaving the tap off. And I live in the great white north.
Old 01-23-2014, 07:32 PM   #11

It's 11 here in NE Tenn. Supposed to get down to 5. May have to bring in the brass monkey.
roanmountaincampers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2014, 07:37 PM   #12
B47

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaadk View Post
They cover their water taps just because of a little freeze? I think I had bothered draining mine the first year I bought my house. 3 houses and many decades later without a problem just leaving the tap off. And I live in the great white north.
I don't know what the minimum temperature has to be before anyone puts them on - it doesn't say on the product,but I install them when below freezing temps are forecasted and so far no problems.

When we have below freezing temps around here,you don't notice broken pipes until after the temps have risen to above freezing.
Old 01-23-2014, 08:16 PM   #13
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
When we have below freezing temps around here,you don't notice broken pipes until after the temps have risen to above freezing.

That's the same up here. Though it doesn't get above freezing until the end of feb, maybe sometime in March.

So far going on 2 decades, never once had a broken tap.

Well, that's not quite true. We did have a broken one in the trailer, but we got it from the dealer like that and it was fixed under warranty. In the house though? Never a one.
Old 01-23-2014, 08:30 PM   #14
B47

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaadk View Post
That's the same up here. Though it doesn't get above freezing until the end of feb, maybe sometime in March.

So far going on 2 decades, never once had a broken tap.

Well, that's not quite true. We did have a broken one in the trailer, but we got it from the dealer like that and it was fixed under warranty. In the house though? Never a one.
If you Goggle Exterior Water Spigot Covers or similar, several U-Tube clips talk about turning off the water lines to the exterior spigots with the basement valve first and then installing a spigot cover. However in this part of the country,houses are built on slabs,meaning no basements. The water lines are buried in the slab when it's poured,so I'm very concerned about keeping them from bursting and spigot covers are about all I can do to keeping them from freezing.
Old 01-24-2014, 08:02 AM   #15

Name:	ImageUploadedByForest River Forums1390568482.943238.jpg
Views:	132
Size:	14.0 KB
ID:	45335

A little cold here in Roan Mtn this morning.
roanmountaincampers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2014, 03:35 PM   #16

It's 3 degrees here in Michigan with 30mph wind gusts today. Went to our vacation property north of Gaylord Mi last weekend to get the snow off of the trailers roof. That was fun. Took us about 2 hours. What even made it more fun was the guy that plows our drive out dropped his transmission so we had to dig out a place to park the truck off the road so we could get back to the trailer about 150 feet. Definitely had a good work out.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	IMG_0015.jpg
Views:	116
Size:	57.8 KB
ID:	45357  
harleyguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2014, 10:31 PM   #17

Here in Alaska we have to use a sillcock, instead of a regular faucet. the water valve closes through the wall in the heated space. no foam covers needed, and wouldn't prevent freezing anyway.
We have had 5 days above freezing at our house. The snow is melting like crazy, we are 40 degrees above normal. very unusual for us to be this warm in January. We shoveled off the Georgetown yesterday so it wouldn't all turn to a block of ice, since we do have a lot of winter left.
akcampr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2014, 10:47 PM   #18
NELA

whine alert;

snow/ice/sleet predicted for our area, and as far south as Nawlins...even down in to Pensacola!

thankfully I'd already scheduled a day off tomorrow...whew! All it takes a a 1/4 inch of snow and/or ice here and it cripples us. Plus with all these pines, ice takes down power lines.

Plenty of firewood for the house, and we have a generator. The 5er's still buttoned up, nice and cozy inside with an oscillating ceramic heater running.

But, it appears the night time below freezing temps END after Wednesday night!

This mangy, toothy rodent had best not see his shadow!
Groundhog Day: Groundhog Day

Old 01-27-2014, 10:52 PM   #19
B47

Quote:
Originally Posted by akcampr View Post
Here in Alaska we have to use a sillcock, instead of a regular faucet. the water valve closes through the wall in the heated space. no foam covers needed, and wouldn't prevent freezing anyway.
We have had 5 days above freezing at our house. The snow is melting like crazy, we are 40 degrees above normal. very unusual for us to be this warm in January. We shoveled off the Georgetown yesterday so it wouldn't all turn to a block of ice, since we do have a lot of winter left.
I'm not sure just how the foam spigot covers work,but here in DFW Texas they're about the only thing we have to prevent the spigots from freezing short of putting heat tape around the spigot which I have never heard of or seen anyone do. They seem to work for me with our temperatures and they fly off the shelves when freezing temps are forecasted.

As stated before,the majority of homes here are build on a concrete slab,therefore no basements or heated spaces. My home does have self draining spigots,meaning they drain any residual water left in the spigot after the spigot is closed.
Old 01-27-2014, 10:53 PM   #20
MI Camperz

Quote:
Right on - here in DFW it's currently 28 with a low of 18 tonight. Warmer tomorrow.
OMG! I feel so sorry for you! We'll be in the neighborhood of 40 tonight and all day tomorrow. 40 BELOW!!!! I pray people and animals will be okay.