Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-22-2013, 04:20 PM   #1
Site Team

How to lighten up

If you think this is aimed at you, it probably is. I'm sure everyone knows at least one person they may want to send this to.

How to Lighten Up

Are you taking life too seriously all the time? Perhaps your natural instinct is to respond to everything with a very serious tone, to point out the failings of all those around you and to impose your politically correct views on others no matter whether it is a birthday, wedding or a work meeting - you just mar the occasion by reminding everyone of how much more serious you are, how frivolous and incorrect they are, and, well, does that make you feel like a really good person inside? Probably not. But if you'd like to change, never fear, we're here to help! Read on ...

Steps

1. 1
    Stop assuming you know everything. Nobody knows everything, not even in their own fields of specialization. As soon as you assume you know everything, you shut down to other ideas and you begin to sound arrogant, know-it-all and uncaring about others' feelings. It is easy to stop this cycle - if you stop assuming that people want you to know everything, you will stop convincing yourself that you do, or at least should.

2. 2
    Stop exaggerating. Exaggerating about your abilities, qualifications, knowledge, hobbies etc. is soon tiresome to those around you and eventually people start to see through the aspects that are real and the grandiose statements. In creating a larger-than-life real you, you get caught up heavily in your own self-importance and you lose a sense of reality. And when you lose a sense of reality and breathe out importance, you've just become serious beyond repair.

3. 3
    Let go of things. It's OK to lose an argument; it's OK to make mistakes. What matters is learning from the loss and failure of life; nobody is perfect and sooner or later, everyone who pretends otherwise is sorely tripped up. Better to be humble and humorous about your journey through life than to be the drama queen of Seriousville. People are much more forgiving of errors in those who who are able to laugh at themselves and who are genuinely involved in the welfare of all. When you are too serious, the only person you are really focused upon is - you.

4. 4
    Laugh. If this sounds nonsensical, you need a good laugh more than anyone. When was the last time you laughed? Go and rent a good comedy, or visit a theater show featuring an hilarious act. Join a belly-laughing group. Just start cracking that serious pose and let some of the laugh lines win through for a change.

5. 5
    Delegate. Overly serious people often think of themselves as indispensable and don't let others take on "their" work. This is a huge danger sign - if you can't let other people assist you or take on some of your workload, whether it be at home, in the workplace, on the farm or at school, you are going to find the hardship growing, and the expectations becoming mammoth, and you build yourself a gilded cage from which you feel you can never escape. Give tasks, activities to others; share your knowledge with others and let others learn from you rather than hogging everything to yourself. This will not only help you to engage with others but it will release you somewhat and help you to lighten up.

6. 6
    Stop being so rule focused. Rules are there for a purpose, namely, to help direct and guide us. Rules at work, in collaborative situations, in communities and in many other contexts are there to provide sensible and common sense parameters. When the rules become the means by which you relate to others, however, it leads you to become rigid, stubborn and unbending, and then you are stuck in Seriousville again. And those who see the value of working around rules or updating will avoid you like the plague because you are such a stickler. Reverse your reliance on the rules and lighten up.

A 72 hour hold in a psych unit is beginning to intrigue me as a potential vacation opportunity.
wmtire is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2013, 06:25 PM   #2
B47

So after reading all that and taking stock of myself, I'm convinced that I'm an all right guy and if everyone else in the world was like me,this world would be a lot nicer place to live in.
B47 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2013, 06:27 PM   #3
Mod free 5er

Quote:
Originally Posted by B47 View Post
So after reading all that and taking stock of myself, I'm convinced that I'm an all right guy and if everyone else in the world was like me,this world would be a lot nicer place to live in.
Have you been drinking FT Turbs' Cool Aid?
Old 10-22-2013, 06:29 PM   #4
B47

Quote:
Originally Posted by OldCoot View Post
Have you been drinking FT Turbs' Cool Aid?
Nope - just took a honest look at myself.
Old 10-22-2013, 06:29 PM   #5
Site Team

Quote:
Hey, if you'll send me a hundred bucks, I'll be convinced too.

A 72 hour hold in a psych unit is beginning to intrigue me as a potential vacation opportunity.
wmtire is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2013, 06:34 PM   #6
B47

Quote:
Originally Posted by wmtire View Post
Hey, if you'll send me a hundred bucks, I'll be convinced too.
So now we know your price
Old 10-22-2013, 06:57 PM   #7
Mod free 5er

Quote:
So now we know your price
Shoot, I'll do it for $25. I ain't free, but I'm cheap.
Old 10-22-2013, 07:03 PM   #8
B47

Quote:
Originally Posted by OldCoot View Post
Shoot, I'll do it for $25. I ain't free, but I'm cheap.
Wow - I'm open to more bidders

P.S. - you weren't one of my old girlfriends, were you

Tags
light