Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 01-02-2015, 04:55 PM   #1
Site Team

I love little old ladies

True Story:

I just had to go to the post office to mail my property and inventory tax payments. All I needed was one postage stamp, and our post office no longer has machines in the lobby to sell stamps, thus making you go thru the main office (and their open hours) to purchase thru a human.

Well, when I got there, the line was out the door of the office. There were about 30 people ahead of me....and remember all I need is one stinking postage stamp.

Well, the way the line wraps, the end of the line is actually closest to the one open service window, than the front of the line is. Up steps this little old lady to the window, who commences to making all kind of small talk with the only postal employee working. She also starts asking all kind of inane questions about UPS and where their office is. The postal guy is real nice and patiently answers all her questions.

There starts to be a lot of grumbling from all the other customers awaiting their turn, and how long this little old lady is taking. This one guy, about my age behind me states how he hates old ladies, which kind of irked me. It was about that same time, I heard her also ask for a book of stamps.

I seized on the golden opportunity and a way to get back at that impatient rude guy. Just as soon as the postal worker gave her the book of stamps, I stepped right up to her and offered her a dollar for one of her stamps...telling her that was all I needed, and sure hated to wait in such a long line for that. This sweetie then tore off two of her stamps and told me Merry Christmas, refusing to accept the money.

I just had to turn to the b**thole (who got to witness my actions), and snark "I personally love little old ladies, as they are always so nice". He didn't pop off nary a comment back to me though, but all the people around him who had heard his original statement started smiling or laughing.

I put my stamp on the envelope and dropped it in the mail slot in the lobby. I also walked that nice lady out to her car, and she just kept talking to me.

As the title implies, I love little old ladies.

A 72 hour hold in a psych unit is beginning to intrigue me as a potential vacation opportunity.
wmtire is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2015, 05:53 PM   #2

Everyone is in such a hurry today........... you probably made her day too..... If you listen to them they can have great history to tell..........

2005 Dodge 3500 Cummins
2017 Wildwood Lodge 4092 BFL
1966 Mustang GT
1986 Mustang SVO
Lillie Spoiled Rotten Boxer Mix
Oaklevel is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2015, 06:10 PM   #3
B47

Enjoyed the story - you did a good deed.

As a business owner,wouldn't it be a good idea to use those postal metering machines you see on TV and saving any further hassles of this type?

Also around here you can purchase stamps with no Mark up in grocery stores,banks,etc.

I think,at least at one time,you could order stamps thru the mail.
B47 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2015, 06:42 PM   #4
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by B47 View Post
Enjoyed the story - you did a good deed.

As a business owner,wouldn't it be a good idea to use those postal metering machines you see on TV and saving any further hassles of this type?

Also around here you can purchase stamps with no Mark up in grocery stores,banks,etc.

I think,at least at one time,you could order stamps thru the mail.
I probably only physically mail about 3 things a year. Everything else, is setup thru computer/online payment.

I used stamps.com when I used to snail mail stuff many moons ago.

A 72 hour hold in a psych unit is beginning to intrigue me as a potential vacation opportunity.
Old 01-02-2015, 07:59 PM   #5
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by wmtire View Post
I probably only physically mail about 3 things a year. Everything else, is setup thru computer/online payment.

I used stamps.com when I used to snail mail stuff many moons ago.

That's why I love that they came out with permanent stamps. I can buy a roll of 50 at Costco and I never have to worry about the rates going up. They're always considered to be the going rate.

Sent from my iPhone using Forest River Forums
Old 01-02-2015, 08:24 PM   #6
Site Team

Smart move!

I don't use many stamps either and dislike standing in line at the post office too. Your story hit the nail on the head about the number of employees in comparison to the number of customers. I either buy stamps at the grocery store.

Formerly owned 2011 Salem Cruise Lite 20RBXL & 2011 Toyota Tundra Dbl Cab
Terier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2015, 08:32 PM   #7

I'm wondering why they removed the vending machine?

2016 Mini Lite 2503S - tt (2015 - ???)
2011 Traverse LT, 3.6L, FWD
2009 Silverado 1500 Ext Cab, 5.3L, 4x4, 3.73
2016 Silverado 2500HD Dbl Cab, 6.0L 4x4, 4.10
rockfordroo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2015, 11:42 PM   #8
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by rockfordroo View Post
I'm wondering why they removed the vending machine?
This article may help explain it:

Post Office to Eliminate Stamp Machines

Old 01-02-2015, 11:53 PM   #9
Moderator Emeritus

Little old ladies are typically sweethearts that just want a hand to hold and an ear to bend. If you have the time, you tend to learn some neat things from them.
asquared is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2015, 12:20 AM   #10

X2 on the roll of Forever Stamps. We got a roll of 100 at Sam's Club a year or so ago and, like WMTire, maybe mail 3-5 items a year - 6 Actual and I figure we should be good for stars until @ 2020

Oh, and good on you with the Little Old Lady!!
Nights Camped: 2013 - 242014 - 422015 - 56Jul 2016 - Fulltime
BamaBob is offline   Reply With Quote