Camper Less Camping

Is it Level Now!

Name:   IMG_6479183356809.jpeg
Views: 283
Size:  19.6 KB

Boy have I seen this before @ campgrounds

Old 10-16-2013, 10:40 AM   #2

Thats funny but leads me to a question.

How high is to high to lift one side in order to get it level. I store my camper at friends farm and the spot is not level at all, I have to use several 2inch boards to get the camper level. I plan on getting some stone put down as soon as I can afford it but in the meantime....Am I doing any damage by having it say 6-8 inches lifted one side? (But level overall)

2013 Rockwood Mini 2503S
2011 Chevrolet Silverado 1500 5.3L
Bryan2503S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2013, 10:45 AM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bryan2503S View Post

How high is to high to lift one side in order to get it level. I store my camper at friends farm and the spot is not level at all, I have to use several 2inch boards to get the camper level. I plan on getting some stone put down as soon as I can afford it but in the meantime....Am I doing any damage by having it say 6-8 inches lifted one side? (But level overall)
As long as it is resting solidly, I'd say its fine. Keep one side on the ground, wheels should be chocked of course. I'd suggest x chocks or similar if its resting up on boards. I've camped at spots where I thought it best to dig the high side down a bit to help level also. Just a thought. A shovel and 15 minutes could save you some fear of backing up stacked boards.
jtstromsburg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2013, 11:05 AM   #4
Fulltime family RVer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bryan2503S View Post

The yellow Lynx Leveler blocks say to not go more than 4 or 5 blocks high on their package. I wouldn't be crazy about having to go much higher than that- but sometimes you do what you gotta do.

On edit: if I had to go that high, I also carry boards with me all of the time. I have 4 or 5 2x10x18" boards.
Old 10-16-2013, 11:35 AM   #5
Love My Sunseeker

when I had my first RV, I didn't have any "Lincoln Logs" (that's what I call the Lynx Blox). I remember "hearing" something at the dealer about being level. On my first RV trip, which was in September, at 7:00 at night in the dark, I was digging trenches with my hand to get level.

I love my Sunseeker, when I'm on a trip I don't wanna go home!!!"

Total days camping each year: AS MUCH AS POSSIBLE!
DXSMac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2013, 11:42 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by DXSMac View Post
when I had my first RV, I didn't have any "Lincoln Logs" (that's what I call the Lynx Blox). I remember "hearing" something at the dealer about being level. On my first RV trip, which was in September, at 7:00 at night in the dark, I was digging trenches with my hand to get level.

hmmmm, there is a backhoe on the farm....probably just wait until I can get some stone and borrow a friends laser level and make myself a proper pad.

2013 Rockwood Mini 2503S
2011 Chevrolet Silverado 1500 5.3L
Bryan2503S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2013, 03:00 PM   #7

I carry three 3x6's & if that isn't enough I move the trailer to a spot where it is. I had the TT almost across the camp site width wise in one of the sites at Acadia National Park, ME. As far as digging to drop the high side wheels, I have never camped in a park that it would be appropriate to dig & leave holes/soft ground for the next camper. There are places where digging could help, I just don't camp at them.

Nice cartoon.
Old 10-16-2013, 03:33 PM   #8
Fulltime family RVer

Quote:
Originally Posted by lswartz View Post
As far as digging to drop the high side wheels, I have never camped in a park that it would be appropriate to dig & leave holes/soft ground for the next camper. There are places where digging could help, I just don't camp at them.
X2- I've often heard this advice quoted, but have never been in a situation where I thought it would be appropriate.