Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 12-17-2018, 09:57 AM   #1

Keeping The Peace

My wife and I (married 47 years) are in our sixties and have decided to finally try Trailering for the first time.
We’ve ordered a 2019 E-Pro that we are hoping to pick up from the dealership in Reno in late January.
Can anyone offer words of wisdom about ‘keeping the peace’ while traveling?
Meditation dvd with calming music and bird sounds? Or maybe ocean waves?
Please wish us luck and send a ‘Smooth-Sailing Vibe’ if ya getta chance?
Thanks Bigtime!
Dave & Sandy
Ridgekid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2018, 10:00 AM   #2
Site Team

Keep doing what you have been doing for 47 years. Apparently it works.

2015 Freedom Express 248RBS
TV 2015 Silverado HD2500 Duramax
TST Tire Monitors
Honda 2000I + Companion
2 100W solar panels
Flybob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2018, 10:06 AM   #3

We've been married for 30 years and have been RV'ing for just a few years so my experience is more in general about traveling and not really about RV's......

Don't travel hungry! With an RV we have found that it's fun to stop at a park or something and eat from the RV but we also like to park out of the way at ROFO's or WAWA and purchase food inside then eat in the camper. It can be fun and is definitely relaxing!

Don't stay angry! Have fun.

Don't keep traveling when someone has to answer the call of nature!!! Find a place to pull over and get 'er done!!!

My DW personally likes to have some sort of plan for a stop. She is a very social animal and requires people. I on the other hand do not.... at all. We find the happy middle and plan some things but also have some down time built in whether it is an overnight stop or a destination.

Do the planning together!!

Marty
Old 12-17-2018, 10:09 AM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flybob View Post
Keep doing what you have been doing for 47 years. Apparently it works.
X2

don't let the small stuff get in the way.
learn to back your TT and make sure the DW and you are on the same page on this process, you or her is going to do the backing and the other is going to be the spotter, i've heard a lot of arguments in campground over this
rp53 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2018, 11:16 AM   #5
Denver To Yuma In 90 Days

Don't fill the fridge with beer...

Have a separate cooler for that
JohnD10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2018, 11:20 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnd10 View Post
don't fill the fridge with beer...

Have a separate cooler for that
awesome advice!!!
Old 12-17-2018, 11:23 AM   #7

Just remember that the wife "owns" the inside of the RV. You get ownership of the storage compartments and holding tanks. Whatever she wants inside she rules.

But hey, after 47 years you already know that the wife rules certain parts of the house and you either go along of the "4" in the number of years would be missing.

"You only grow old when you run out of new things to do"

2018 Flagstaff Micro Lite 25BDS
2023 f-150 SCREW XLT 3.5 Ecoboost (The result of a $68,000 oil change)
TitanMike is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2018, 12:50 PM   #8

Practice. What I mean is relatively local trips, varying distance, to discover your travelling style. Then, you will know how to plan for the one with the lower. Lower mileage \ time per day, distance between rest \ meals, days of consecutive travel, etc.

For example, I can go every day 8+ hours. DW likes 4 or 5 hours a day, and some rest days. So our first day out is usually 6 to 8 hours, with the next day a shorter one. Third day is either short or rest. One long day and one short consecutive is ok, as are three short. 4 consecutive needs prior approval (I am the planner...).
Dp26 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2018, 06:30 PM   #9

When backing up, remember that the driver is under stress. So if you're the driver, take it slow. If you're giving signals, try to be extra clear. Work on a system. And if you see accessories that would make backing up easier, really consider them. They may save a relationship.
Old 12-17-2018, 07:06 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by TitanMike View Post
Just remember that the wife "owns" the inside of the RV. You get ownership of the storage compartments and holding tanks. Whatever she wants inside she rules.

But hey, after 47 years you already know that the wife rules certain parts of the house and you either go along of the "4" in the number of years would be missing.
INDEED MIKE! Funny!
Thanks!!!
Old 12-17-2018, 07:11 PM   #11
Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by bergy View Post
When backing up, remember that the driver is under stress. So if you're the driver, take it slow. If you're giving signals, try to be extra clear. Work on a system. And if you see accessories that would make backing up easier, really consider them. They may save a relationship.
I was so jealous one time. Pulling in to Holiday Sands on the Outer Banks I waited as a family ahead of us was backing into a spot on the same lane as ours. They had a fifth wheel about the same size as ours. Once they were ready to back in, the wife, two sons, and the daughter all manned a spot and communicated with dear old dad and backed him right into place. Then it was our turn. First I have to kick them all out of the truck, then I have to try and find them because my family doesn't understand that if they can't see me in a mirror then I can't see them. Long story short, let the little things that would annoy you bring a laugh and a smile and you'll be just fine.

2017 Sandpiper 381RBOK
2006 Ram 3500 Cummins Dually
valleyduo is offline   Reply With Quote