Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-02-2015, 05:10 PM   #101

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iwritecode View Post
I didn't personally obtain the info. Whoever wrote the article got it and it appears the info is from the US government census website.

The numbers are based on today's dollars for easier comparison. $3,300 in 1950 = $28,000 in 2013 (which is the year the data goes up to)

What do pro sports players have to do with anything?
Sorry but your answer is Still way off in the way you think it was presented! Pro players (DIDNT) make (28,000$) in 1950 either!! Youroo!!
youroo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2015, 05:29 PM   #102

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oaklevel View Post
We walked to school....my kids were not allowed to by the school dist., it was up hill both ways & in 3 feet of snow when I was young.........

My grandfather hated TV other than the night Gunsmoke came on.... he kept his RCA Black & White with doors on the front til it finally went out in late 1960s. Also shoveled coal into his furnace............. Had to wait on the phone til the neighbors got off the party line...... Those were the days.....

Barefoot, Barefoot, you forgot barefoot, uphill both ways.
Old 06-02-2015, 05:59 PM   #103

Since I was the oldest, I had to go outside and turn the antenna post and listen for the shout, "that's good!" until we changed the channel again. First color TV show I ever saw was when I was about 9 years old and a neighbor that had a brand new color TV and we all went over and watched this new show called "Star Trek" on it. We didn't have color TV until the late 1970s. The Late, Late Show followed by those test screens being posted if anyone was still up that late, or up that early before the start of the broadcast day.
Tdbrn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2015, 06:24 PM   #104
Cyber Phrenologist

I recall being about 4 years old when Mr. Giles, the TV repairman, came out to have a poke at my grandmothers tiny Admiral B&W TV. It was almost a perfectly square, yellow box with a row of identical knobs down one side like the buttons on a shirt.

Intent on watching the proceedings and being rather curious, I asked Mr. Giles if it was out of film. Mr. Giles turned red faced as he roared with laughter, to the point of hurting my feelings. He could have just said "no".

So, a few years later I got myself a technical education.

Years later that education put me in NASA's Vehicle Assembly Building looking up into the engine bells of the space shuttle Discovery.

I just sort of blurted out... "F*** you, Mr. Giles!"

And that became a mantra I invoked each time that education brought me some new experience I would never conceived of as a kid.

That "Indian Head Test Pattern" was made by a "test pattern generator" which was a dedicated TV camera in a box with a certain kind of light. The pattern was etched into an aluminum plate at the far end of the box. The patterns circles are used to fine tune the stations transmitters to send the clearest sharpest picture. An engineer friend of mine has one of those plated framed on his wall.

Radio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2015, 07:20 PM   #105
Left Coast

Send a message via Yahoo to bob caldwell
Quote:
Originally Posted by Radio View Post
I recall being about 4 years old when Mr. Giles, the TV repairman, came out to have a poke at my grandmothers tiny Admiral B&W TV. It was almost a perfectly square, yellow box with a row of identical knobs down one side like the buttons on a shirt.

Intent on watching the proceedings and being rather curious, I asked Mr. Giles if it was out of film. Mr. Giles turned red faced as he roared with laughter, to the point of hurting my feelings. He could have just said "no".

So, a few years later I got myself a technical education.

Years later that education put me in NASA's Vehicle Assembly Building looking up into the engine bells of the space shuttle Discovery.

I just sort of blurted out... "F*** you, Mr. Giles!" GOOD ONE

And that became a mantra I invoked each time that education brought me some new experience I would never conceived of as a kid.

That "Indian Head Test Pattern" was made by a "test pattern generator" which was a dedicated TV camera in a box with a certain kind of light. The pattern was etched into an aluminum plate at the far end of the box. The patterns circles are used to fine tune the stations transmitters to send the clearest sharpest picture. An engineer friend of mine has one of those plated framed on his wall.
Good one
bob caldwell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2015, 07:24 PM   #106

remember when you could see the headlites of a car a 1/4 mile away and know the yr make and model.
Old 06-02-2015, 07:39 PM   #107
Cyber Phrenologist

Quote:
Originally Posted by toslow View Post
remember when you could see the headlites of a car a 1/4 mile away and know the yr make and model.
My daughter, a bit of a gear head/car nut, still can.

Me, I'm just not that interested anymore. They all look sort of the same to me (but not her) and I think they're all sort of ugly, with rare exception.

But I do remember when the new models came out, it was a big deal! All the fins would be different!

Radio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2015, 10:10 PM   #108

<That "Indian Head Test Pattern" was made by a "test pattern generator" which was a dedicated TV camera in a box with a certain kind of light. The pattern was etched into an aluminum plate at the far end of the box. The patterns circles are used to fine tune the stations transmitters to send the clearest sharpest picture. An engineer friend of mine has one of those plated framed on his wall.> Very cool, interesting information Bob, Thanks!
D_B Travelers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2015, 10:12 PM   #109

Quote:
That was before there were 827 different models of car! And they do all kind of look alike, I agree.
Old 06-02-2015, 10:18 PM   #110

Quote:
I only paid attention if they looked like Ford LTD or CopTD head lights. They used to have a very distinctive appearance.
Old 06-02-2015, 10:20 PM   #111

Ah, the good old days! Watching for the lights to reflect off of the gum ball machine on top. Now they have the really low profile light bars that are really hard to spot.
Old 06-03-2015, 10:57 AM   #112
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by youroo View Post
Sorry but your answer is Still way off in the way you think it was presented! Pro players (DIDNT) make (28,000$) in 1950 either!! Youroo!!
Well then your argument is with the US census. They are the ones providing the info.

New York Yankees salary info from 1950:

• Joe DiMaggio $100,000.00
  • Tommy Henrich $40,000.00
  • Phil Rizzuto $32,000.00
  • Johnny Mize $26,250.00
  • Allie Reynolds $25,000.00
  • Yogi Berra $24,000.00
  • Snuffy Stirnweiss $17,500.00
  • Charlie Silvera $10,000.00
  • Ralph Houk $7,500.00
  • Whitey Ford $5,000.00
Iwritecode is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2015, 11:11 AM   #113

An oldie. I think it was Babe Ruth and a reporter commenting, "you make more money than the president of the United States" and the Babe responding, "I had a better year".
bubbles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2015, 10:09 PM   #114
fx2

I was buying a new company car yesterday and took a Lexus SUV on a test drive. Had DW and my 6 year old with me. The headrests in this thing had tablets in them. The salesman was telling us how there is built in wifi and the kids could stream movies through these things. When I was in a car at 6 I was lucky if I had a book to read.

Ended up with an RX350 but not with those $3,000 "tablets" in there!

Sent from my iPhone using Forest River Forums
2002 Ford F250 7.3l 4x4
fx2 is offline   Reply With Quote