Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-02-2015, 07:30 AM   #81

Looking for a Power tube for a 52 Philco Model 13, so my great grandkids can watch TV in Black & White! Youroo!!
youroo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2015, 07:46 AM   #82

Quote:
Originally Posted by bob caldwell View Post
China zip code?
"72789-28-74455477-23-84373-28-830"
"Party-at-Phillips-Be-There-at-830"

-Bill Thomas
Palomino Solaire 317 BHSK
billt01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2015, 08:21 AM   #83

Quote:
Originally Posted by youroo View Post
Looking for a Power tube for a 52 Philco Model 13, so my great grandkids can watch TV in Black & White! Youroo!!
If it doesn't have a bunch of zeros or ones kids today won't know what it is. But it does bring back memories.
Attached Images

mcnabbwr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2015, 08:34 AM   #84

Quote:
Originally Posted by ColoradoRick View Post
I was born in 62 and when I wasn't in school I was outside...bike riding or playing football or exploring the woods. Today, kids have lost the joy of playing outside and I'm amazed at how many are at our neighborhood bus stop in the morning...they are never outside!!
Our Grandson is 3, LOVES staying here and going camping with Nana and Pop. He has a few inside toys, a ton of books and puzzles, But spends most of his time outside playing or wandering the woods (followed of course). He can lead you thru the woods to his Dads house over a mile away. Leads us on hikes at campgrounds on trails he has walked before.
I just hope he doesn't lose that as he grows.

Being a '63 year model a lot of this tread brings back memories...and growing up in the country around my Great Grandparents I got to experience a lot of the older era technology....shoveling coal, wringer washer, a Spring house....an out house... yes some things are better today, I have lived where running water involved a rope bucket and shoes.
2011 HD Road King
Nights camped since 2019.....all of Em...Homes a 2001 Sea Breeze 36' 5 ER
yetavon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2015, 10:22 AM   #85

Quote:
Originally Posted by wmtire View Post
Kids today don't know how easy they have it.

When I was young I had to walk 9 feet through shag carpet to change TV channels.
When I was a kid I remember hearing an old man talking about as a kid how he had to walk to school, walk to work etc.
With all that walking, I just figured he owned a Ford.
Old 06-02-2015, 10:47 AM   #86
Left Coast

Send a message via Yahoo to bob caldwell
Quote:
Originally Posted by howie70 View Post
When I was a kid I remember hearing an old man talking about as a kid how he had to walk to school, walk to work etc.
With all that walking, I just figured he owned a Ford.
Before the heated tailgate option Ford's of today come with.
bob caldwell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2015, 10:50 AM   #87
Left Coast

Quote:
Originally Posted by yetavon View Post
Our Grandson is 3, LOVES staying here and going camping with Nana and Pop. He has a few inside toys, a ton of books and puzzles, But spends most of his time outside playing or wandering the woods (followed of course). He can lead you thru the woods to his Dads house over a mile away. Leads us on hikes at campgrounds on trails he has walked before.
I just hope he doesn't lose that as he grows.

Being a '63 year model a lot of this tread brings back memories...and growing up in the country around my Great Grandparents I got to experience a lot of the older era technology....shoveling coal, wringer washer, a Spring house....an out house... yes some things are better today, I have lived where running water involved a rope bucket and shoes.
Still have 2 wringer machines....1 full size (that works but became a planter, and a midget one that my grandparents used.
Old 06-02-2015, 10:57 AM   #88

Quote:
Originally Posted by bob caldwell View Post
Before the heated tailgate option Ford's of today come with.
I hear that some dealerships are giving their buyers a free puppy with the purchase of a Ford. That way they don't have to walk alone.
Old 06-02-2015, 11:04 AM   #89
Left Coast

X2
Old 06-02-2015, 11:04 AM   #90
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by NoviBill View Post
When I was 17 I traveled from Michigan to Pinery park in Ontario Canada and camped for the weekend with friends without cell phone (digital leash). No passport, sometimes a call home (first few trips). I can't imagine 17 year old young men being allowed to do that now days. I think I may have had it easy...

We spent a few years in Maine when I was a kid. We'd bring the tent down to the coast and dig up clams for steaming at night. Today, get this, you have to buy a $15 license in order to dig for clams. (When it's not red tide.)

Sent from my iPhone using Forest River Forums
8-year Travel Trailer RVers
2013 Forest River Rockwood Ultra-Lite 2904SS
2014 Toyota Tundra Maxcrew SR-5 TRD 4x4 (with Firestone airbags in the rear)
ColoradoRick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2015, 11:08 AM   #91
Left Coast

Quote:
Originally Posted by ColoradoRick View Post
We spent a few years in Maine when I was a kid. We'd bring the tent down to the coast and dig up clams for steaming at night. Today, get this, you have to buy a $15 license in order to dig for clams. (When it's not red tide.)

Sent from my iPhone using Forest River Forums
And a permit to park in the mountain snow areas!
Old 06-02-2015, 01:39 PM   #92
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ford Idaho View Post
Crime is down?
As compared to when?

United States Crime Rates 1960 - 2013
It was the murder rate I was thinking of. Not crime in general.

This article sums it up pretty well.

Quote:
It’s hard to find a measure of the quality of life in the U.S. that was not markedly lower in 1950 than it is today. In that year the median family income was $28,000, compared with $64,000 in 2013. Life expectancy at birth was 68 years, vs. 79 today, and tuberculosis, syphilis, whooping cough, and measles were still considerable killers—with prevalence between 10 and more than a hundred times today’s levels. One reason for poorer health was lower-quality housing: About a third of houses still lacked decent indoor plumbing (compared with fewer than 2 percent today), and air conditioning was a rare luxury. The homicide rate did climb in the 1960s and ’70s, but it has dropped since, and the 1950s level was higher than today’s. The year 1950 was also when the Korean War broke out—1.5 million American men were drafted to fight, and more than 36,000 died (five times the U.S. death toll in Afghanistan and Iraq).

Or look at rights: Women were excluded from the draft, but largely also from executive positions in industry and government. And there was just one woman U.S. senator in 1950. A decade before Selma and the victories of the civil rights movement, blacks across much of the country were disenfranchised, segregated, and discriminated against at every turn. As late as 1960, polls suggested an almost universal view among whites that interracial marriage was a bad idea. (Today that view is held by fewer than a quarter of poll respondents.) No one even bothered polling about gay marriage in the ’60s, when homosexuality itself was illegal.
Iwritecode is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2015, 01:53 PM   #93

My G G Grandparents Passed @ 85 and 96 in 1912 and 1923 their Grandchild & his wife (My grandparents) passed at 71 and 68 in 1972 and 1974 yup we are living longer.....

2005 Dodge 3500 Cummins
2017 Wildwood Lodge 4092 BFL
1966 Mustang GT
1986 Mustang SVO
Lillie Spoiled Rotten Boxer Mix
Oaklevel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2015, 02:34 PM   #94

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iwritecode View Post
It was the murder rate I was thinking of. Not crime in general.

This article sums it up pretty well.
I don't know where you got your Info,but it is WAY OFF! Average Income in 1950 was 3,300$ Average Car cost 1,510$ and Home cost 7,354$ PRO sports players didn't average what you Posted! Youroo!!
youroo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2015, 03:19 PM   #95

Most stations had an image similar to this one that came up after they signed off for the day. You can Google "broadcast sign off images" for variants. I remember seeing some of these before midnight in the "early" days. You were supposed to be in bed asleep by then.
D_B Travelers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2015, 03:22 PM   #96

It is one of the images that broadcast stations would show after the daily programming had stopped. Google "broadcast sign off images" and you can see others, but most commercial stations looked similar to this one. I remember some stations were off the air before midnight...you were supposed to be in bed asleep by then. You have chores the next morning!
D_B Travelers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2015, 03:41 PM   #97
Site Team

Seniors requesting final transcripts have to self-addressed the envelope and include proper postage. After explaining what an "Forever" stamp is a couple hundred students I feel extremely old.

One student wanted to use one of his mom's stamps that has her name on it but I said it sounded like a mailing label. I had to explain there are differences between Pokemon stickers, mailing labels & postage stamps.

Formerly owned 2011 Salem Cruise Lite 20RBXL & 2011 Toyota Tundra Dbl Cab
Terier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2015, 03:43 PM   #98
Mod free 5er

Quote:
I don't know where you got your Info,but it is WAY OFF! Average Income in 1950 was 3,300$ Average Car cost 1,510$ and Home cost 7,354$ PRO sports players didn't average what you Posted! Youroo!!
X2. Very few ,if anyone, locked their doors and the keys to the car were kept in the car and we could and did ride our bikes all over town and our parents still had a good idea where we were. Curfew was when the street lights came on.
Old 06-02-2015, 03:49 PM   #99
Site Team

Quote:

I didn't personally obtain the info. Whoever wrote the article got it and it appears the info is from the US government census website.

The numbers are based on today's dollars for easier comparison. $3,300 in 1950 = $28,000 in 2013 (which is the year the data goes up to)

What do pro sports players have to do with anything?
Iwritecode is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2015, 04:00 PM   #100
Paradise has arrived!

Born in 1950. Grew up with no tv in my room! Lived in France as a child. No indoor plumbing and went in a pot in a closet. And I loved every minute of it.

Spent 23 years with Baltimore County PD. As for crime it is reported more now than in the old days. There may not be more actual crime now but violent crime is definitely more frequent. When I was growing up you could ride through Baltimore with your windows open and doors unlocked. Now you shouldn't ride through most of the city at all.

So some things are better and some are worse. I don't miss 3 channels of tv, one of which never came in too well. But I do miss Gino giants.