Old 06-05-2013, 01:11 PM   #11
Originally Posted by EdJunior View Post
Funny, but with a ring of truth to it.

“The few of you that will be any good at your job at all will get out. The rest of you will be pushed through a broken promotion system that rewards mindless compliance with outdated standards over anything even vaguely resembling conscious human thought. As you rise through the ranks, you’ll receive awards and honors you don’t deserve and develop a wildly inflated sense of self, until finally you arrive in a position to grossly abuse the power and people in your charge.

Maybe not quite this bad, but as I said, there is a hint of truth in that paragraph. Probably a bit more than a hint.
I somewhat agree having spent a career in the U.S. Goverment - not everyone of course, but my personal observation was those people who volunteered to go to Washington D.C. HQ's regardless of whether they were qualified to make policy involving the field offices or not got some of the plum jobs after serving some time there.

What you quoted here is simply the military version of the "Peter Principle" that was batted around years ago and may still be.

B47 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2013, 11:07 PM   #12
Alright... that's funny right there... I don't care who you are... that's just funny. Reminds me of a specific young LT with an AT-4. Hahahaha

2014 Salem Hemisphere 356QBQ
2005 F-350 King Ranch 4x4
2006 Yamaha AR230

"If I am unable to make the gods above relent, I shall move Hades." -Virgil (The Aeneid)
Okie Dokey is offline   Reply With Quote