Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-23-2014, 11:11 AM   #1
Site Team

Mondays at the tire shop

Although this is a true story, ya may find it amusing.

Just had a customer call me on the phone, whereas she asked what information she needed, so she could get a used tire. She asked if I needed the make, model, brand? I told her I really needed the size of the tire, more than the other stuff.

She then asked what was the size and where could she find it. I told her it was on the sidewall of the tire... and most likely started with a P if it was a car....and I needed all seven numbers after the P.

She keeps me on the phone and goes to her vehicle...and then starts spouting off random numbers....like 0, 3, 5, 2, 1

I stopped her and told her that wasn't a size.

She then rattles off like 5, 0, 2, 2, 1....when I stop her again and tell her that's not a size.

I ask her what she is reading and she huffily tells me the size.

I then ask if she is reading the numbers in the correct order, and she angrily informs me that I didn't say anything about the numbers having to be in an order.

I tell her that the order of the numbers IS the size. She then curses at me, calls me an idiot, and hangs up.

--------------------------

Geez. Hindsight being 20/20, I guess she gives out her phone number with just the digits, and it's up to the other person to figure out the correct order.

Are you laughing now?

A 72 hour hold in a psych unit is beginning to intrigue me as a potential vacation opportunity.
wmtire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2014, 11:23 AM   #2
Phat Phrog Stunt Team

In the blonds defense......
If the tire size was on the bottom she was reading it correctly albeit "upside down"
TURBS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2014, 11:25 AM   #3
Phat Phrog Stunt Team

Right?
5.22 r 11
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	1403540728188.jpg
Views:	2107
Size:	46.0 KB
ID:	56154  
TURBS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2016, 03:04 PM   #4
Site Team

Just had another similar situation and made me remember this thread.

Had a customer call asking if we had any 15 inch tires. I asked him what is the complete size, and he responded again just 15 inch.

Since I usually have to go thru this several times a day, and explain that 15 is just the rim diameter, and tells me how big the hole in the middle of the tire is. Now I need to know how wide the tire is and how tall it is...which is all the numbers in front of the rim diameter.

This usually puts it in laymen terms and the customer can relay to me the correct information. But if that fails, I usually tell them to open the drivers side door and read me the tire size placard on the door jamb....and just hope they still have the OE tire size and rims.

Anyhoo, on this particular person, when I went into the spill about needing the rest of the tire size... they said they thought this was a tire store. I told them we were, and they said and I quote " You must not sell many tires then, or you would know that 15 inch is the whole tire size".

A 72 hour hold in a psych unit is beginning to intrigue me as a potential vacation opportunity.
Old 07-27-2016, 03:18 PM   #5

You just can't fix stupid. And these people are allowed to vote. No wonder our country is where its at.
Old 07-27-2016, 03:35 PM   #6

Old 07-27-2016, 03:46 PM   #7
Site Team

Several years ago I was in a Big Box Store and I bought 4 florescent shop lights some Romex and a SPST wall switch. Sales person who pointed me to the shop lights asked me what I was doing with the wire and switch. I told him I was wiring the 4 lights up to the switch to light a section of my shop. He got a worried look on his face and told me that I could not do that and that the shop lights which were sold with plugs on them could not be operated with a switch, but rather had to be plugged in and unplugged to turn on and off. I politely thanked him, bought my supplies and left.

2015 Freedom Express 248RBS
TV 2015 Silverado HD2500 Duramax
TST Tire Monitors
Honda 2000I + Companion
2 100W solar panels
Flybob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2016, 03:53 PM   #8

Warning labels have lowered the IQ so low in this country we couldn't get back to the moon if we tried
railroaderone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2016, 04:01 PM   #9
Site Team

The customer actually just called back with the full tire size and everyone can laugh at me now.

I kept calling him sir on the phone till she corrected me and said her name was Pamela.

Old 07-27-2016, 04:20 PM   #10
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by wmtire View Post
The customer actually just called back with the full tire size and everyone can laugh at me now.

I kept calling him sir on the phone till she corrected me and said her name was Pamela.
Iwritecode is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2016, 04:21 PM   #11

Quote:

Yeah, but what size was she???

LOL

FROG AR-0019-242
2016 GMC Denali 3500Dually--2017 CC 36CKTS
BandJCarm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2016, 11:10 PM   #12
Always Learning

Quote:

Heh, that always happened to my Mom. She was a smoker with a smoker's voice. She was called "sir" far more often than "ma'am".
Old 07-28-2016, 02:26 AM   #13

Quote:

Hopefully when you see her you will think "she" is a Pamela!!

Russell
CAT-RN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2016, 06:42 AM   #14
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by CAT-RN View Post
Hopefully when you see her you will think "she" is a Pamela!!

Russell
Supposedly she is coming in this Saturday to purchase two tires.

Old 07-28-2016, 06:51 AM   #15

That is what keeps work exciting, you never know what your going to be dealing with from day to day.

Camped
2016 - 21 nights
2017 - 42 + scheduled....
Life is great is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2016, 07:12 AM   #16

Old 07-28-2016, 06:30 PM   #17

I work in a pharmacy at a children's hospital. For safety we verify both a birthday and a name of each child before dispensing a prescription. You can't believe how many people come to my counter and announce that they need to "pick up my child's medicine.". I usually stand there for a pregnant pause before asking if said child has a name? Usually I'll get a first name and have to ask again for the last name. Then I'll say something like, birth date? Most dad's just panic and get the deer in the headlights look. They're better off than the moms who at this point usually answer with, "you want my birth date?". You can't make this stuff up. 😙🤔😕

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk

ChipBruce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2016, 08:37 PM   #18
Always Learning

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChipBruce View Post
I work in a pharmacy at a children's hospital. For safety we verify both a birthday and a name of each child before dispensing a prescription. You can't believe how many people come to my counter and announce that they need to "pick up my child's medicine.". I usually stand there for a pregnant pause before asking if said child has a name? Usually I'll get a first name and have to ask again for the last name. Then I'll say something like, birth date? Most dad's just panic and get the deer in the headlights look. They're better off than the moms who at this point usually answer with, "you want my birth date?". You can't make this stuff up. [emoji11][emoji848][emoji53]

In all fairness to some, needing to be at a children's hospital means their stress levels are likely astronomical. Add in some good ole fashion fatigue and you have a receipt for brain-deaded-ness.

When my daughter was in, we slept just a couple of hours as we couldn't stand to be away from her bedside.

---

Now, for a funny story- we camp at first come/first served Thousand Trails parks. You pick your sit and then call the ranger with your site #. We got here on Tuesday, got parked, setup, and I had to run to the post office. On the way, I called the ranger to tell him my site. Problem was, it wasn't until AFTER he said "hello" did I realize that I had NO IDEA what my site # was. Had to explain that one like a jack wagon... "Yeah, uhmmm... well, I called to tell you my site # and I don't know it!"

He laughed and asked if I knew how to get back to it.
Old 07-28-2016, 08:48 PM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by ependydad View Post
In all fairness to some, needing to be at a children's hospital means their stress levels are likely astronomical. Add in some good ole fashion fatigue and you have a receipt for brain-deaded-ness.

When my daughter was in, we slept just a couple of hours as we couldn't stand to be away from her bedside.

---

Now, for a funny story- we camp at first come/first served Thousand Trails parks. You pick your sit and then call the ranger with your site #. We got here on Tuesday, got parked, setup, and I had to run to the post office. On the way, I called the ranger to tell him my site. Problem was, it wasn't until AFTER he said "hello" did I realize that I had NO IDEA what my site # was. Had to explain that one like a jack wagon... "Yeah, uhmmm... well, I called to tell you my site # and I don't know it!"

He laughed and asked if I knew how to get back to it.
Touché. Be assured that we spoil everyone at Children's Mercy Hospital! I can guarantee that everyone leaves with a smile. We get the privilege of taking care of really sick kids and making them better. They think that they were helped and don't even realize how much they do for me and my crew.

We did have one dad with the deer look, then he busted a grin and started laughing. He rolled up his sleeve and had his kids names and birth dates tattooed on his arm. All he said was I told my wife that this was a good idea. Now I can prove it.

Grace and peace all.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk

ChipBruce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2016, 08:50 PM   #20
Always Learning

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChipBruce View Post
Touché. Be assured that we spoil everyone at Children's Mercy Hospital! I can guarantee that everyone leaves with a smile. We get the privilege of taking care of really sick kids and making them better. They think that they were helped and don't even realize how much they do for me and my crew.

We did have one dad with the deer look, then he busted a grin and started laughing. He rolled up his sleeve and had his kids names and birth dates tattooed on his arm. All he said was I told my wife that this was a good idea. Now I can prove it.

Grace and peace all.

Sorry, I know you mean well- it's just a been there, done that, and still have the wounds kind of thing.

That's hilarious about the tattoo!

Tags
tire