Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 11-29-2014, 09:46 AM   #1

Sales Gimmicks, lets hear them!

Here's a couple I have heard recently while I shopped.

Company A - Salesman #1 - "Hurry this price expires at midnight!"

Company A - Salesman #2 (2 weeks later) - "Better hurry, these prices expire tomorrow."

Company B - "Our prices are so low, I can only tell you verbally, please call me". Really, like the manufacturer would know. And, if its not in writing do you intend to honor it?

Company C - Just stopped in and browsed, no discussion on a particular unit, no discussion on my current one. But I get an email the next day, "My manager and I stayed late last night discussing your needs, we have come up with a plan. How much do you owe on your current unit?" Humm, that only comes into play if I wanted to trade, which I don't. I am happy to know you and your manager are making my plans when I haven't even decided if, when or what I am going to buy.

Company D - "After you pay the deposit, I can show you the sales agreement..." Uh, no.
Richard6959 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2014, 09:48 AM   #2
Done with this

"There are 3 other people considering this unit!!!!"

I'm a little too truthful, I guess.
Y'all have fun in "Fantasy Land".
4mula1fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2014, 10:08 AM   #3

One salesman wanted to give us less for our trade than what we owed and wanted to put the balance into the cost of the new trailer. No thanks, I don't intent to keep paying for an rv I no longer own.

2015 Evo 2700
2017 Ram 2500 6.4 Hemi 4.10
Evo2700 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2014, 10:44 AM   #4
Moderator Emeritus

"Your truck can tow anything on my lot." Ummm no the truck they were referring to had a 1500 lb payload. When I explained that they told me I was wrong and went so far as to pull specs on a different f250 and argue with my payload sticker and weight tickets. Sorry not buying it.

"The state requires us to charge for a processing fee. That can be as high as $550. Ours is only $299 so that is a good deal." Sorry not buying it.

"Can give you more for your trade but the the price of the new unit goes up. " no I'm not paying you for my trailer.
asquared is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2014, 10:57 AM   #5

At a local dealership looking at a trailer. Salesperson wanted me to sign a blank intent to purchase form. He said that they would keep the info on file so when I wanted to purchase a unit they would have one ready for me. In truth they would fill the blank form out after you left with all the info needed including financing. After the three day cool down period they would call and say your trailer is ready for pickup. I would not fall into the scheme but have hear of others who had. Several people had go to court about the shady why this company works but they did sign a bill of sale even if it was blank. They were not able to win the court case and are now in possession of a trailer they did not want.
caper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2014, 11:34 AM   #6
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by caper View Post
At a local dealership looking at a trailer. Salesperson wanted me to sign a blank intent to purchase form. He said that they would keep the info on file so when I wanted to purchase a unit they would have one ready for me. In truth they would fill the blank form out after you left with all the info needed including financing. After the three day cool down period they would call and say your trailer is ready for pickup. I would not fall into the scheme but have hear of others who had. Several people had go to court about the shady why this company works but they did sign a bill of sale even if it was blank. They were not able to win the court case and are now in possession of a trailer they did not want.
Now that is just flat out scary and why I will never sign anything without reading it or with things left blank.
asquared is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2014, 12:08 PM   #7

I like the what do you want us to give you for a trade price. Uhhh, sorry you tell me your best price that you will give me and we can use that as a starting point. It's all in the markup of the next trailer purchase and me throwing a number out isn't going to do anything to benefit me that I can't do after you already give me a trade price idea.

Then there are just some good sales people. We have one at our local dealer, I went in a few times looking but, never could come to an agreement, bought our Sprinter used from a private party and have gone in their multiple times and they are great and no hard feelings.
Old 11-29-2014, 12:13 PM   #8

You cant afford to (NOT BUY This UNIT)! Youroo!!
youroo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2014, 12:23 PM   #9

Had a dealership who kept calling me weekly saying this unit just came in its only a 2012 just what you wanted super clean(maybe he should have cleaned it before taking pics) we will hold it for you if you give me a $500.00 deposit well we were 2hrs away and I wasn't running down there JUST to look at that unit which when sent photos we were like does it smell too?
I would always respond with Well if and when we get there if its still there its meant to be if not then not. Frankly we stopped looking there after the second visit and it took us 2 yrs to find what we wanted and its brand new
VT Skier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2014, 12:24 PM   #10

General used "we took a deposit on it last night but you are here and they are not so if you sign we will send them back their deposit"

It worked, I bought it.
Brian41 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2014, 12:40 PM   #11

Had a agreed trade-in value on my old MH when I went to pickup new unit and after paying for it they asked for $5000.00 more because they said old unit needed work for them to resell. My answer " GO POUND SALT!!" and drove away with new one.
wana65stang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2014, 12:57 PM   #12

Years ago, I was truck browsing on a Sunday when the dealer was closed and found one I liked. Called on Monday and was given a good price right over the phone. Went in to buy and was told the salesman I had just talked to no longer worked there, and the price he quoted was invalid. They told me he was fired for giving too good of deals! I figured it was some kind of bait and switch and did not buy anything from them. Quite a creative sales gimmick though.

Aviator Wright-Flyer#1908
1996 Holiday Rambler
2012 Ram 2500HD CTD
KenHwy61 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2014, 01:10 PM   #13
Retired

Here's the price with your trade... Go home, talk it over and decide what you want to do. Take your time the trailer isn't going anywhere!

That was our experience when were looking at buying the Sabre... Dealer never bugged us and we went back a few days later with a counter offer of some add on's. They didn't go for them all but they did give us a few extras...

2015 Palomino Sabre 33CKTS - Platinum Edition - Progressive Industries EMS HW50C - JT Strong Arm Stabilizers - Ground Control 3.0 - 320 Watt Solar with 2000 Watt Inverter
RubyDually is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2014, 01:15 PM   #14

Looking at a 2014 Chatau about 2 months ago. It was probably laying around since 2013 lookes like it had some lot rot, we weren't that interested and told him we are not going to purchase until after Jan 1st, and I was told if I left $10,000 deposit he would hold it for us,wasn't that big ofim?
poppytoymaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2014, 01:17 PM   #15

Your truck can pull it no problems...it's half ton towable !
***3rd GENERATION EGG FARMER***
***WHO MADE YOUR EGGS TODAY ?
Black is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2014, 01:29 PM   #16
Site Team

My favorites are ""Out The Door" prices that do not include Freight, Dealer Prep, PDI or Sales Taxes".... Along with "We need a deposit to show you are serious."

The classic one for me though was when I was looking for a new truck a few years ago. While I was looking at the one I was considering I gave the sales guy the keys to my truck to appraise it. After a test drive when we started talking numbers their trade in offer was way low and their truck was above MSRP. I saw this dealer wasn't going to go anywhere and asked for my keys. The salesman said "We can't find them" and started the high pressure sales crap. I stopped him and said " Give me my keys now." He replied again that they had lost them and started telling me what a great deal it was again. I pulled out my cellphone and the salesman stopped his spiel and asked who I was calling. I replied I was calling 911 to report my truck as stolen. The little jerk jumped up and spilled his coffee all over himself and his desk while getting my keys out of his desk drawer. I couldn't quit laughing on my way out...
Old 11-29-2014, 01:32 PM   #17
ARLO

Wilkin's RV in Hornell - the year was 1995, we were looking at a trailer there and found exactly what we were looking for. Haggled on price a little and made the deal that was good for both parties. Gave them the deposit, signed the contract and left. A couple of hours later we got a call from our salesman stating that "the old man, meaning Mr Wilkins i guess, wouldn't take the deal and told us it would cost $1000.00 when we picked it up. We said no way and insisted we had a signed contract. I told the salesman that the contract was void because he violated the terms. We got our deposit back and swore that we would go back. Fast forward to 2010. My wife found the perfect trailer and decided that we would give them a second chance. We drove there, about 75 miles, to look at it and was taken care of by Rick Mess, salesman. We went home to discuss the purchase and decided that we would get it. Rick contacted us and we gave him a deposit with our VISA over the phone. It wasn't 20 minutes later he called us back and stated "the old man, meaning Mr Wilkins i guess, wouldn't take the deal and told us it would cost $1000.00. They would not budge and I finally told them to keep it. I wonder how many people fell for this scam. NOT ME!!! I will never go back.
rlocicero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2014, 01:40 PM   #18
Ret E-9 Anchor-clanker

I did put your name on it but a little old lady came in with cash, so, I'll order you a newer one. Which he did!!!!
donanddona is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2014, 04:37 PM   #19

Sales Gimmicks, lets hear them!

Something..new here in Florida.. Salesman rights a price down..You counter and initial and he takes it to sales Manager... When I was car shopping ( and buying my Coach)all the salesman did the same thing..and they all got all upset because I refused to play... Last place I went I made it easy.. Gave them my price cash...salesman threw his pen down and said "no way" ..I got up and walked to my car.. Sales manager ran out and said they would do the deal..

I find dealing with any salesman very unpleasant .... ( and yes I understand it's there livelihood.. Still don't like it)
Old 11-29-2014, 04:53 PM   #20
Site Team

Salesman at local dealer didn't know answers to many of the questions we asked. When we got to price, he was 20% higher than my best offer. I told him I would split difference as he was local. He told me he had the best prices around and I could not have abetter price, but would look at it if I brought offer in writing from other dealer as he did not believe it. Told him thanks. He called me three days later and wanted to know when I would be in to sign deal. Told him I was just leaving to pick up the unit from the other dealer. He was shocked.

2015 Freedom Express 248RBS
TV 2015 Silverado HD2500 Duramax
TST Tire Monitors
Honda 2000I + Companion
2 100W solar panels
Flybob is offline   Reply With Quote