Old 06-06-2013, 09:14 AM   #11
Steve & Phyllis

I always thought the keys to the compartments were the same since our last camper had same exact ch751 key. So are you saying I can buy a replacement lock with a different key? And thanks for clearing up master key for me.

Old 06-06-2013, 09:24 AM   #12
Fulltime family RVer

Sadly, one of the things my camper is in for is that my slam latches can just be pulled open (even when locked). BUT- I don't keep my spare keys in there.

Old 06-06-2013, 09:44 AM   #13
Steve & Phyllis

Quote:
Originally Posted by ependydad View Post
Sadly, one of the things my camper is in for is that my slam latches can just be pulled open (even when locked). BUT- I don't keep my spare keys in there.
Well to be honest if someone wants in they will do more damage prying it open than what they take. I always keep mine locked and so far so good but recently stayed at a campground where we felt really unsafe. We decided to leave a week early and just head home. By the way I have purchased a compartment assembly so I can vouch they are not cheap.
Old 06-06-2013, 09:56 AM   #14
Fulltime family RVer

Fortunately, I have no illusions of security. But, I did learn a hard lesson with not having my outdoor kitchen door fully latched. It popped open on a turn to the beach last year. Fortunately, the only thing in there that was loose was a grill tools set that I lost. My concern with the poor latching of these slam latches is that something will shift, hit the door and pop it open spilling the contents of my basement.
Old 06-06-2013, 10:10 AM   #15
daydreaming about camping

Must have been a day for it - I got to the cave last night to pick up the trailer for the next two weeks and went to unlock my receiver plug and realized I used a different receiver lock and had no idea where the key was...

Ended up finding it at home and driving back up to the cave and thanking them for staying open late.

I followed that trick up by doing a test run down the highway with the door open and latched to sidewall. Pulled the latch out of the door...

2013 Coachmen Freedom Express 320BHDS pulled by a 2005 F250 King Ranch CC

A rainy day camping is better than a sunny day at work.
jeeplj8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2013, 04:10 PM   #16
Another rat in the race

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveBingham52 View Post
I always thought the keys to the compartments were the same since our last camper had same exact ch751 key. So are you saying I can buy a replacement lock with a different key? And thanks for clearing up master key for me.
Yes you can, they are just cabinet locks. Just take one off and measure the diameter of the shaft (they're fairly standard just cant remember the size think its 3/4" hole) and the length then go line and and do a little hunting for cabinet locks. My last trailer had 4 digit tumbler number locks on it instead of keys. I think I will try to find those again.

Or you can take it to a locksmith and they can generally re-key them.
Old 06-06-2013, 04:19 PM   #17
Another rat in the race

Just saw this looking for my old style locks.

CH751 Security Upgrade

I might just have to order those
Old 06-06-2013, 07:29 PM   #18
Steve & Phyllis

Quote:
Originally Posted by ependydad View Post
Fortunately, I have no illusions of security. But, I did learn a hard lesson with not having my outdoor kitchen door fully latched. It popped open on a turn to the beach last year. Fortunately, the only thing in there that was loose was a grill tools set that I lost. My concern with the poor latching of these slam latches is that something will shift, hit the door and pop it open spilling the contents of my basement.
I have often worried about that also. Seen a TT with clasp locks on the doors but I gotta feel that was not factory gear.