Old 06-05-2013, 05:52 PM   #1
Fulltime family RVer

Angry Stupid Human Tricks - I forgot something

I've put off taking my camper back for warranty work because A) I've just tried to fix stuff and B) it's pretty dang far away (140 miles each way). But, the time has come - I'm at about 10 months in on my 1 year and decided I should have my small punchlist looked at.

I left yesterday at 4pm on the nose for what should have been a 2 1/2 hour drive. I arrived at the dealership at 7:55pm. The lights were off, the gate closed and the last employee getting into his truck. He kindly opened the gate, took me inside and started the paper work (fortunately, I had emailed + faxed my punchlist ahead of time).

I left there about 8:15 and got home at 11pm on the nose. 7 hours of driving.

... wait for it ...

... just a little more ...

The service manager called me this morning to ask where I left the keys as the door was deadbolted shut?

They were still in my pocket. Last night, I threw them on the bathroom counter and didn't think anything of it.

$28.20 later, my wife has overnighted them to the dealership to arrive tomorrow morning via FedEx.

Guess I'll re-think my decision to not hide a key.

Old 06-05-2013, 06:12 PM   #2
Steve & Phyllis

I get confused on the deadbolt issue because both locks use same key on my unit. If they have a master key to open my door why would it not open the deadbolt? Service manager says it will not so I leave it unlocked.

Old 06-05-2013, 06:13 PM   #3
Graduate Member

don't feel bad, it's happened to everyone at some point.
2012 - 26 days

RoadTrip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2013, 06:15 PM   #4
Fulltime family RVer

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveBingham52 View Post
I get confused on the deadbolt issue because both locks use same key on my unit. If they have a master key to open my door why would it not open the deadbolt? Service manager says it will not so I leave it unlocked.
I actually have 2 separate keys - 1 for each door.
Old 06-05-2013, 06:35 PM   #5

We just put our camper at a seasonal site. When we set it up the first night and the park owners suggested we leave a set of keys at the campground in case we forget our keys. We said we have never done that. The very next trip 15 miles away from the campground (100 miles one way) I reach down to get them out of the arm rest and realize that they are not in the mini van. They are in the Suburban that we used to pull the camper to the new seasonal spot. Boy am I glad they talked us into leaving a set of keys at the campground. I will have to admit it happened to me.
Old 06-05-2013, 07:32 PM   #6
Another rat in the race

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveBingham52 View Post
Locks have to be set up to take a master key. The deadbolts are not, that way they can never just walk into a trailer if the owner genuinely wants the master key holder out.

Here's the interesting part most of the trailers use the same 5ish locks for their compartments. So I keep a set of keys hidden in a compartment then I just need to find someone with the same key for their compartment. Forgot the keys twice both times just walked a couple of spaces down asked them to unlock my compartment and in I got. Then they went out and changed theirs.
Old 06-05-2013, 07:41 PM   #7
H2oski

Haven't forgot camper keys yet, buuuuuut, years ago drove 150 miles to the lake and left the keys to the boat at the house. Dang it I hate when that happens. We laugh about it know of course.
(LA) Lower Alabama
h20ski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2013, 07:46 PM   #8
Another rat in the race

Worse than keys. I went to Bishop CA from Redlands CA (280 miles one way) over Memorial Day weekend; got to Ridge Crest about halfway (140 miles) and realized I forgot my CPAP (sleep apnea) machine. That has never happened in the eight years I have had it. Sooo, I dropped the trailer and family in Ridge Crest Walmart parking lot drove back home got the machine and then picked up the family and trailer. Then on our way again, $75.00 extra in gas and 4 hrs late we finally got to Bishop. Now I'm looking at getting a second CPAP for the trailer.
Old 06-05-2013, 08:00 PM   #9

Thanks everyone, for making me laugh today....especially the original poster!!
Old 06-05-2013, 08:32 PM   #10
Fulltime family RVer

Oh, I'd go back for my CPAP machine! I completely understand!