Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-05-2013, 04:52 PM   #1
Always Learning

Angry Stupid Human Tricks - I forgot something

I've put off taking my camper back for warranty work because A) I've just tried to fix stuff and B) it's pretty dang far away (140 miles each way). But, the time has come - I'm at about 10 months in on my 1 year and decided I should have my small punchlist looked at.

I left yesterday at 4pm on the nose for what should have been a 2 1/2 hour drive. I arrived at the dealership at 7:55pm. The lights were off, the gate closed and the last employee getting into his truck. He kindly opened the gate, took me inside and started the paper work (fortunately, I had emailed + faxed my punchlist ahead of time).

I left there about 8:15 and got home at 11pm on the nose. 7 hours of driving.

... wait for it ...

... just a little more ...

The service manager called me this morning to ask where I left the keys as the door was deadbolted shut?

They were still in my pocket. Last night, I threw them on the bathroom counter and didn't think anything of it.

$28.20 later, my wife has overnighted them to the dealership to arrive tomorrow morning via FedEx.

Guess I'll re-think my decision to not hide a key.
Old 06-05-2013, 05:12 PM   #2
Steve & Phyllis

I get confused on the deadbolt issue because both locks use same key on my unit. If they have a master key to open my door why would it not open the deadbolt? Service manager says it will not so I leave it unlocked.
SteveBingham52 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2013, 05:13 PM   #3
Graduate Member

don't feel bad, it's happened to everyone at some point.
2012 - 26 days

RoadTrip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2013, 05:15 PM   #4
Always Learning

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveBingham52 View Post
I get confused on the deadbolt issue because both locks use same key on my unit. If they have a master key to open my door why would it not open the deadbolt? Service manager says it will not so I leave it unlocked.
I actually have 2 separate keys - 1 for each door.
Old 06-05-2013, 05:35 PM   #5

We just put our camper at a seasonal site. When we set it up the first night and the park owners suggested we leave a set of keys at the campground in case we forget our keys. We said we have never done that. The very next trip 15 miles away from the campground (100 miles one way) I reach down to get them out of the arm rest and realize that they are not in the mini van. They are in the Suburban that we used to pull the camper to the new seasonal spot. Boy am I glad they talked us into leaving a set of keys at the campground. I will have to admit it happened to me.
spierce617 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2013, 06:32 PM   #6
Another rat in the race

Quote:
Locks have to be set up to take a master key. The deadbolts are not, that way they can never just walk into a trailer if the owner genuinely wants the master key holder out.

Here's the interesting part most of the trailers use the same 5ish locks for their compartments. So I keep a set of keys hidden in a compartment then I just need to find someone with the same key for their compartment. Forgot the keys twice both times just walked a couple of spaces down asked them to unlock my compartment and in I got. Then they went out and changed theirs.
Old 06-05-2013, 06:41 PM   #7
H2oski

Haven't forgot camper keys yet, buuuuuut, years ago drove 150 miles to the lake and left the keys to the boat at the house. Dang it I hate when that happens. We laugh about it know of course.
(LA) Lower Alabama
h20ski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2013, 06:46 PM   #8
Another rat in the race

Worse than keys. I went to Bishop CA from Redlands CA (280 miles one way) over Memorial Day weekend; got to Ridge Crest about halfway (140 miles) and realized I forgot my CPAP (sleep apnea) machine. That has never happened in the eight years I have had it. Sooo, I dropped the trailer and family in Ridge Crest Walmart parking lot drove back home got the machine and then picked up the family and trailer. Then on our way again, $75.00 extra in gas and 4 hrs late we finally got to Bishop. Now I'm looking at getting a second CPAP for the trailer.
Old 06-05-2013, 07:00 PM   #9

Thanks everyone, for making me laugh today....especially the original poster!!
Sargent's Fox Hole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2013, 07:32 PM   #10
Always Learning

Oh, I'd go back for my CPAP machine! I completely understand!
Old 06-06-2013, 08:14 AM   #11
Steve & Phyllis

I always thought the keys to the compartments were the same since our last camper had same exact ch751 key. So are you saying I can buy a replacement lock with a different key? And thanks for clearing up master key for me.
Old 06-06-2013, 08:24 AM   #12
Always Learning

Sadly, one of the things my camper is in for is that my slam latches can just be pulled open (even when locked). BUT- I don't keep my spare keys in there.
Old 06-06-2013, 08:44 AM   #13
Steve & Phyllis

Quote:
Originally Posted by ependydad View Post
Sadly, one of the things my camper is in for is that my slam latches can just be pulled open (even when locked). BUT- I don't keep my spare keys in there.
Well to be honest if someone wants in they will do more damage prying it open than what they take. I always keep mine locked and so far so good but recently stayed at a campground where we felt really unsafe. We decided to leave a week early and just head home. By the way I have purchased a compartment assembly so I can vouch they are not cheap.
Old 06-06-2013, 08:56 AM   #14
Always Learning

Fortunately, I have no illusions of security. But, I did learn a hard lesson with not having my outdoor kitchen door fully latched. It popped open on a turn to the beach last year. Fortunately, the only thing in there that was loose was a grill tools set that I lost. My concern with the poor latching of these slam latches is that something will shift, hit the door and pop it open spilling the contents of my basement.
Old 06-06-2013, 09:10 AM   #15
daydreaming about camping

Must have been a day for it - I got to the cave last night to pick up the trailer for the next two weeks and went to unlock my receiver plug and realized I used a different receiver lock and had no idea where the key was...

Ended up finding it at home and driving back up to the cave and thanking them for staying open late.

I followed that trick up by doing a test run down the highway with the door open and latched to sidewall. Pulled the latch out of the door...

2013 Coachmen Freedom Express 320BHDS pulled by a 2005 F250 King Ranch CC

A rainy day camping is better than a sunny day at work.
jeeplj8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2013, 03:10 PM   #16
Another rat in the race

Quote:
I always thought the keys to the compartments were the same since our last camper had same exact ch751 key. So are you saying I can buy a replacement lock with a different key? And thanks for clearing up master key for me.
Yes you can, they are just cabinet locks. Just take one off and measure the diameter of the shaft (they're fairly standard just cant remember the size think its 3/4" hole) and the length then go line and and do a little hunting for cabinet locks. My last trailer had 4 digit tumbler number locks on it instead of keys. I think I will try to find those again.

Or you can take it to a locksmith and they can generally re-key them.
Old 06-06-2013, 03:19 PM   #17
Another rat in the race

Just saw this looking for my old style locks.

CH751 Security Upgrade

I might just have to order those
Old 06-06-2013, 06:29 PM   #18
Steve & Phyllis

Quote:
Originally Posted by ependydad View Post
Fortunately, I have no illusions of security. But, I did learn a hard lesson with not having my outdoor kitchen door fully latched. It popped open on a turn to the beach last year. Fortunately, the only thing in there that was loose was a grill tools set that I lost. My concern with the poor latching of these slam latches is that something will shift, hit the door and pop it open spilling the contents of my basement.
I have often worried about that also. Seen a TT with clasp locks on the doors but I gotta feel that was not factory gear.