Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-28-2013, 10:06 AM   #1
Always Learning

This is only sort of funny...

I'll admit, I recently pulled up to fuel up the truck, swiped my card, grabbed the noozle and then couldn't find the "diesel" button... I was at a gasoline pump!

I just saw this on the fail blog and it made me chuckle:
Old 10-28-2013, 12:00 PM   #2

A little gasoline in a diesel truck would not do damage to the engine. In cold climates this is how "winer diesel" is made off. But if it is the other way around: Diesel in a gasoline tank is a call to pump out the entire fluid or the engine will stall and the cleaning calls for expensive work to fix it.
Flying dutchman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2013, 12:12 PM   #3

that is hilarious..... some jet fuels are 50/50 mix of kerosene and gas
A&P
jack of all trades master of one...LOL
https://imageshack.us/a/img32/3111/ypy.JPG
wilem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2013, 08:27 PM   #4
Oklahoma Proud

Ive done close to the same doug. Ive stuck the gas nozel in and then hit the diesel button and then realized it was the wrong nozel when nothing came out.

We've had a rash of trucks with gas in the diesel system at work. It ended up costing about $15k on each one to fix as it trashed the ejector pumps and sent shrapnel through the whole fuel system. Luckily it was the distributors fault as they loaded a tanker with the incorrect fuel so the customer didnt have to pay for it.
MillerTime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2013, 08:46 PM   #5

This is a bit off topic but not too far. A friend took a crew on a long boat trip and at some point on the way home one of the crew took charge of fueling at the dock. At some point he was told that the holding tank was not the fuel tank and it would have to be emptied before leaving. After a trip to town to purchase all the 5 gallon gas tanks available the holding tank was emptied, the fuel tanks filled, the 5 gallon jugs put aboard and off they went. When they finally got back to the harbor they put the 5's off to the side of the drive, unloaded and headed for home to ponder what to do with the "crappy" gas. When they returned the next morning to haul off the tanks they found they had been stolen. Sometimes justice is not blind it is just not seen.
Timtation is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2013, 09:44 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flying dutchman View Post
A little gasoline in a diesel truck would not do damage to the engine. In cold climates this is how "winer diesel" is made off. But if it is the other way around: Diesel in a gasoline tank is a call to pump out the entire fluid or the engine will stall and the cleaning calls for expensive work to fix it.
Mmmm. Might wanna check the facts on that. NO GAS IN MY $10,000 motor
born in Texas.... live in Arkansas
Iwannacamp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2013, 12:58 AM   #7

Winter diesel fuel - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

i would never do this nor am i advocating it but in older diesels i would imagine you could get away with a little shake and bake.

For some diesel motors it is also possible to add even lighter fuels like gasoline to extend the CFPP characteristics. Some car makers were recommending adding up to 20% gasoline to permit operation in cold weather (at the price of higher consumption) and it had been common practice in Europe where No.1 fuel is not offered at gas stations. Since the 1990s car makers began selling only direct injection diesel engines - these will not withstand any gasoline portions in the fuel as the high pressure in the injection device will ignite the gasoline early on possibly destroying the injectors.
Car makers selling Common Rail or Unit Injector diesel engines prohibit the blending of diesel fuel with either gasoline or kerosene as it may destroy the injection device.[4][7]
A&P
jack of all trades master of one...LOL
https://imageshack.us/a/img32/3111/ypy.JPG
wilem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2013, 02:04 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flying dutchman View Post
no...a lil gas in a newer diesel Is detrimental to the whole fuel system....I've seen trucks in with only a half gallon of unleaded in the tank...bye bye 12k+ if u drive like that (save for one gent we saw who put about a gallon in and proceeded to drive and dump the water separator every 10 miles till he went through whole tank.) truck ran but later had hp fuel rail issues. ....those ain't cheap..!!...older diesels would run on motor oil pretty much....not the case anymore with all the epa mandated components. ....if u put gas and u know it dont drive it....tow it dump n clean tank and have fuel system flushed. ...not cheap but not 12k + either.....but just my opinion. ..your toys, your money, your decision.....
2012 lacrosse 318bhs touring- sold
ironj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2013, 09:10 AM   #9

I once accidentally (how else?) put about 5 gallons of diesel in our Pathfinder, which probably had three or four gallons of gas in the tank. Although I pushed the 87 octane button (I watched the selected button and price window light up), I picked up the diesel hose and the pump put fuel in. I was about 2 miles down the road when I noticed the engine was stumbling going up a hill. I took a look at the ticket and saw I had put in diesel.

I gingerly drove back to the station and, without shutting the engine off, I filled the 20 gallon tank with 93 octane. Over the next week or so, as it burned the mixture out, it ran okay. It never knocked. I attribute that to the engine having a knock sensor. Until we used up the mixture, it ran a little rough and smoked for about a minute after a cold start and smelled like diesel, but there were no permanent problems.
RamblerGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2013, 09:55 AM   #10
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iwannacamp View Post

Mmmm. Might wanna check the facts on that. NO GAS IN MY $10,000 motor
Gas in my father in law's duramax left him sitting on the side of I-20 in Alabama. Had to tow, drop the tank and drain it. But he had filled with about 3/4 tank of gas. Whew!

dcheatwood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2013, 01:50 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by RamblerGuy View Post
I once accidentally (how else?) put about 5 gallons of diesel in our Pathfinder, which probably had three or four gallons of gas in the tank. Although I pushed the 87 octane button (I watched the selected button and price window light up), I picked up the diesel hose and the pump put fuel in. I was about 2 miles down the road when I noticed the engine was stumbling going up a hill. I took a look at the ticket and saw I had put in diesel.

I gingerly drove back to the station and, without shutting the engine off, I filled the 20 gallon tank with 93 octane. Over the next week or so, as it burned the mixture out, it ran okay. It never knocked. I attribute that to the engine having a knock sensor. Until we used up the mixture, it ran a little rough and smoked for about a minute after a cold start and smelled like diesel, but there were no permanent problems.
Had a friend tell me it was his method to clean carbon deposits off the valves. Never felt it a good idea to test it. As I recall it smoked a bit.
Old 10-30-2013, 01:59 PM   #12
Mod free 5er

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arefbee View Post
Had a friend tell me it was his method to clean carbon deposits off the valves. Never felt it a good idea to test it. As I recall it smoked a bit.
Years ago with carburetors, my dad would put 1/2 gal of diesel/kerosene in a full tank of gas about once a year to supposedly clean the valves. Didn't hurt the old 41 or 50 Studebakers at the time.
Old 10-30-2013, 02:15 PM   #13
Professional Curmudgeon

IIRC, we usta put some in the crankcase oil and run it for a few minutes before draining to get all the sludge out, too...
wrvond is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2013, 02:21 PM   #14

In my '94 International\Ford 7.3 IDI you could run up to 50% gasoline in the system if necessary. It had no injectors so all was good. That information was printed clearly in the 1994 F350 7.3 IDI owners manual.
1986 Marriage to "Wifey" (patience of a saint)
rattleNsmoke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2013, 04:03 PM   #15

In my previous life I worked as a GM technician and I had a few gassers that had been filled with diesel. Most of the newer cars have check valves in the filler neck that will not allow for siphoning of gas...we would jumper the pump and pull the supply line off and empty the tank out enough to get it out without getting hurt.

Surprising enough a fuel filter is typically all that was needed and a fresh tank of gas.
Nights Camped 2016: 32
ryand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2013, 06:23 PM   #16

OK true confession. Once put half a tank of regular in an unleaded tank when I was a gas jockey about a hundred years ago. The shop mechanic used a spare unleaded nozzle on the regular pump. Not as exciting as diesel in a gas tank or vice versa but did bad things to the customers catalytic converter. There was a distraction (female) involved. Not her car at least.
Old 10-31-2013, 01:08 AM   #17

A few years ago in the middle of summer the wife ran out of gas in the mower, so she gets a gas can out of the barn fills it up and starts mowing again, after a few min the mower starts smoking out the exhaust so I ran out front to discover she filled the mower with diesel I had for the tractor. Smoked like crazy for a while, drained the tank and replaced the filter and put gas in it and told her to keep on mowing. Needless to say we didn't have any mosquitoes for a while!
rccktmn2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2013, 04:16 AM   #18
Engineer of Crazy Train

I always have a careful eye on full serve stations with the Liberty. Coming in sounding like a tractor, green gas cap, and "Diesel Fuel Only" doesn't mean anything to a gas pumper who said "Jeep never made a diesel".
Locomotive Engineer
Nights Camping --- 2015 - 19 Camped | Winterized -- 2014 -18
Come read my Camping Blogs
ChooChooMan74 is offline   Reply With Quote