Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 11-12-2012, 07:50 PM   #1
Explorer

Tow Vehicle Question

I am lucky enough to have just purchased a 28-XtraLights-BSer. My issue comes with my tow vehicle, the dealer said most anything would tow it but I cant find any info on my Mazda Miada’s tow ability. I know the wheel base is a little short at 71inches but I am getting a weight distribution w/double sway control. I have the 1.4L and its only me and my chinchilla and I figure not loading up my trunk and only filling the gas-tank half full should save about 41lbs. Has anyone done much towing with a Miada? I am supposed to pick up the trailer this weekend after final inspection and hitch is installation. Any input would be appreciated, I saw somewhere that a trans-cooler is good but I have a manual trans do I still need one? Oh ya one more, any info on good extending side mirrors would be great, I think I need somewhere around 3ft extenders.
Thank for all your input, I know we can all be full of it, before hand
See ya on the road all
Not John
YoungKopernik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2012, 07:54 PM   #2
Phat Phrog Stunt Team

I think maybe watch about 15 episodes of the red green show and you'll have all your answers.

Turbs
TURBS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2012, 08:45 PM   #3

Actually with that set-up you are good to go! The miata (not miada) has an 89.2", not 71" wheelbase. Perfect for downhill and flat tows, may struggle going through big horn mountain pass.
TTNewbees is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2012, 09:19 PM   #4
phat phrog stunt crew

red green show rocks. a 28' camper and you plan on pulling with a miata??? please see attached video

dwaynerz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2012, 11:21 PM   #5

My Ex-wife wanted a Mazada...
Twisty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2012, 05:54 PM   #6
phat phrog stunt crew

didid you get her one?
Old 11-13-2012, 06:08 PM   #7
DDC

You can use the Red Green special duck tape and some toilet roll tubes and a shoe box put them all together and insert a heater motor from an old car, connect it to the intake and use it as a supercharger, this is sure to get you up hills and over dales.
Donald&Casey cairn terrier
Rest in Peace Mary my darling wife.
Scottish by birth Canadian by time.
DDC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2012, 11:06 PM   #8

I am looking at replacing our 2500HD Duramax with a SmartCar to save money on fuel. We are towing a 35' Rockwood TT which runs about 7700 pounds. I plan to use the same Reese Dual Cam WD hitch from the truck, but I think I'll have to turn the shank upside down and remount the head unit. Does anyone know if they make airbags for the SmartCar? We have a trip planned to Colorado this Spring. I'll keep everyone updated on our progress. Cheers!
Rancho RS9000XL's and Firestone airbags
Pullrite Superglide 18k hitch
alphadog99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2012, 07:34 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by alphadog99 View Post
I am looking at replacing our 2500HD Duramax with a SmartCar to save money on fuel. We are towing a 35' Rockwood TT which runs about 7700 pounds. I plan to use the same Reese Dual Cam WD hitch from the truck, but I think I'll have to turn the shank upside down and remount the head unit. Does anyone know if they make airbags for the SmartCar? We have a trip planned to Colorado this Spring. I'll keep everyone updated on our progress. Cheers!
I'd think you'd be much better off with a setup like this. No WD system to mess with, plus not as much weight on the Smartcar I'd recommend you get a tuner and cold air intake system to give you a little more acceleration.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Tow vehicle.jpg
Views:	114
Size:	48.2 KB
ID:	21837  
Len & Cheri is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2012, 11:48 AM   #10

Ha

2020 Salem Cruise Lite 241QBXL
2016 Ram 1500 Big Horn Eco-Diesel
Previous Trailer -> 2012 Rockwood Roo 233s
-> 1996 Jayco 1207
Barney1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2012, 12:29 PM   #11
Camper Less Camping

Quote:
Originally Posted by YoungKopernik
I am lucky enough to have just purchased a 28-XtraLights-BSer. My issue comes with my tow vehicle, the dealer said most anything would tow it but I cant find any info on my Mazda Miada’s tow ability. I know the wheel base is a little short at 71inches but I am getting a weight distribution w/double sway control. I have the 1.4L and its only me and my chinchilla and I figure not loading up my trunk and only filling the gas-tank half full should save about 41lbs. Has anyone done much towing with a Miada? I am supposed to pick up the trailer this weekend after final inspection and hitch is installation. Any input would be appreciated, I saw somewhere that a trans-cooler is good but I have a manual trans do I still need one? Oh ya one more, any info on good extending side mirrors would be great, I think I need somewhere around 3ft extenders.
Thank for all your input, I know we can all be full of it, before hand
See ya on the road all
Not John
Let's see...Mazda Miata as tow vehicle...Sales guy can solve that one for you, he'll probably suggest the following:
-add turbocharger
-add E rated tires
-add air bags
-add class IV hitch

Now that was easy...Happy Camping! LOLLLLL

Old 11-26-2012, 01:12 PM   #12

OK let's get this right everyone we don't want this guy into get into trouble.
Please review these links - but use your own judgement!

How to tow with your Miata
How to Tow With a Mazda Miata | eHow.com

Trailer hitches for your Miata
Miata/MX-5 Hitches - Tow Hitches for Mazda Miata/MX-5 Trailer - Best Miata/MX-5 Receiver Hitch Reviews - 1990 - 2013
or
Mazda Miata MX5 Trailer Hitches and Towing Accessories | HitchSource.com

A good forum discussion on Miata's towing capacities
Towing Capacity - MX-5 Miata Forum

I hope this helps

-> 1996 Jayco 1207
Old 11-26-2012, 05:36 PM   #13
phat phrog stunt crew

in response to the smart car upgrade..... yeah, definetly get a tuner. perhaps a cowl induction hood to draw air from the low pressure area at the base of the windshield routed to a cold air intake. for exhaust, you might want to step up to a 3" pipe for better breathing, and to let everybody hear all that power!!!!! better make it 2 3" pipes, with a crossover to balance out the exhaust. wouldnt want 1 cylinder to be running richer than the other

as far as towing with a miata, did you know they make a kit that allows you to install a 5.0 ford (302 for us old timers) into a miata? they even make a kit for swapping in a chevy ls series motor (think corvette). looks to be fairly straight forward with only minor fab work involved. pics look like it belongs there.

http://www.bossfrog.biz/Miata_V8_Swap.html
Old 11-26-2012, 07:11 PM   #14

Y'all laugh but I was out camping this weekend and a guy was towing a sandpiper 365 saq with a 2010 dodge 1500 with a hemi. I stopped and asked if the 1500 was his tv and he said yes it was. He said all he added to his truck was air bags and that the truck handled it great. He also told me he wasent overloaded! This is no joke. Loaded up the rv weights about 14k!
chiro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2012, 10:30 PM   #15
Camper Less Camping

Quote:
Originally Posted by chiro
y'all laugh but i was out camping this weekend and a guy was towing a sandpiper 365 saq with a 2010 dodge 1500 with a hemi. I stopped and asked if the 1500 was his tv and he said yes it was. He said all he added to his truck was air bags and that the truck handled it great. He also told me he wasent overloaded! This is no joke. Loaded up the rv weights about 14k!
wth!!!

Old 11-26-2012, 10:52 PM   #16
Oklahoma Proud

Any time I need something towed that I think is too heavy and will tear up my truck, I just ask someone who owns a dodge. Around here the dodge guys think their trucks are capable of anything- but they also seem to spend a lot of time in the shop!
MillerTime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2012, 10:52 AM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by MillerTime
Any time I need something towed that I think is too heavy and will tear up my truck, I just ask someone who owns a dodge. Around here the dodge guys think their trucks are capable of anything- but they also seem to spend a lot of time in the shop!
Hey I own a Ram and I known its limits.
That said I know some Ram owners who do not.
I also know a few Ford & Chevy owners who do not.

It comes down to people pushing their equipment beyond their limits and trying to justify it somehow.

-> 1996 Jayco 1207
Old 11-27-2012, 11:03 AM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by MillerTime View Post

That's funny.
Lynkage is offline   Reply With Quote