Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-12-2013, 09:39 AM   #1

Useful Windows 8 Tool

Nuff said.

Click image for larger version

Name:	Win8.jpg
Views:	142
Size:	45.9 KB
ID:	25500

Bob and Joyce
2013 CC Silverback 29RL
2010 Ford F250 XL Crew Cab 6.4 liter diesel
ATU Local 788
Oakman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2013, 10:22 AM   #2

I had my first experience with Win8 a couple weeks ago. That tool would have come in handy, and made me feel a a lot better
Old 03-12-2013, 10:27 AM   #3

Are they compatible with Mac's?
I could use one of those...
Old 03-12-2013, 02:42 PM   #4
Phat Phrog

I just got a new HP and it came with the Windows 8. It does take getting used to, but I actually like the new look!
RVChick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2013, 05:32 PM   #5

Is that tool USB? Either way it looks well built.
halibut3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2013, 05:38 PM   #6
Phat Phrog Stunt Team

you got that wrong sir....
this is how you fix windows ...........

Name:   mac-computer.jpg
Views: 270
Size:  10.3 KB
TURBS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2013, 06:23 PM   #7
Trailer Trash

Just installed Win 8 on an old desktop home theatre system. It works well and for those that keep freaking out about it, on the Start screen with all those funky live tiles.........there is one called desktop. Desktop = Windows 7. Also, use the windows logo key on your keyboard to switch back and forth between live tiles mode and old desktop mode.

S-can your mouse and get one of these - Logitech T650 touchpad. Once you use this oversized touchpad, your computer will look and feel like a tablet. Windows 8 is made for tablets and laptops with touch screens. If you don't have a touchscreen, add the T650 touchpad. T650 Wireless Touchpad for Windows - Logitech

Windows 8 takes a few days to get used to. Remember how many days it took you to get used to Win XP when it came out? Droid tablets have a learning curve and so do smart phones.

Windows 8 automatically searches the web for the correct driver to fire up accessories Hooking up my old monitors, wireless keyboard/mouse, printer, etc. worked just fine.

Win 8 has a bug in it...........Save money and buy the cheaper upgrade disk version. If you don't have any previous windows operating system installed, don't worry about it. Install Win 8 as a fresh new install. Works fine but you can't activate it with the upgrade key. Sooooooo, when running 8 in desktop mode, reinsert the Win 8 dvd and reinstall Win 8 in the upgrade mode. It will take the first version you installed and rename that to windows.old then it installs windows for the 2nd time - as an upgrade. The activation key for the Win 8 upgrade version then magically works. The full boat version of windows is WAY more expensive than the upgrade version.

Don't ask me how I know this stuff. I'd tell ya then have to kill ya. JK LOL
joelek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2013, 09:45 PM   #8
Phat Phrog

Thank you joelek for the info on the wireless touchpad! My new HP is not a touchscreen, so this is very interesting! Do you have to move your hand from this touch pad back to the actual touch mousepad on the laptop when you need to scroll? If so, just wondering how easy it is to swipe on the wireless keypad, then move your hand to the laptop touch mousepad for all other functions? I will have to check that little gadget out!
RVChick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2013, 10:11 PM   #9
Trailer Trash

turn off the touchpad on the laptop no need to use it at all once you add the Logitech device. Got mine on ebay for 45 bucks. It does all the functions like a tablet would do plus more motion gestures using 2 and 3 finger movements. Read the manual for it first on Logitech's website to see if this is something you would like. Then buy it.
joelek is offline   Reply With Quote