Old 05-13-2013, 06:55 PM   #11
So true Love small towns................. We were out our son was in from college & couldn't find the car keys ........... his friend dropped him off .... he needed to make a call with his cell phone since we don't get cell service at the house he jumped on the tractor & drove down to the church to make his call......

Or when your older son dates one of the local police officers & when his dog runs off even the Captain helps out...........

It gets bad when the landmarks that you use for directions aren't there any more. Or the people are gone..... turn left at the Jones place (sold it 20 years ago)...............

Or go to the race track............which one ?............. Franklin Co. Speedway, Oaklevel Speedway, South Boston, VIR Virginia International Raceway or or course the former dirt track Martinsville Speedway ...... & others some are gone but....Moonshiners got it all started.................. It does become a big area at least 2 weekends a year "Race Weekends"

2005 Dodge 3500 Cummins
2013 Puma Unleashed 356 QLB
1966 Mustang GT
1986 Mustang SVO
Sadie & Lillie Spoiled Rotten Boxers
Oaklevel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2013, 11:44 AM   #12
That sounds exactly like the town I grew up in except we didn't have a stop light. Have to love small town America!

kansascamper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2013, 12:21 PM   #13
MI Camperz
Don't forget there are two churches to the one stoplight.
One for the Catholics and one for the Protestants.
Two dealerships too. One for the Chevy's and one for the Fords.
MI Camperz
bodzcampers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2013, 12:22 PM   #14
Wife grew up in a small town in PA. Had two streets running parallel. The main Street was named Front Street. The other street, naturally, was Back Street!
Ed (N4RWU) & Becky Taylor
Mistie (Walks 4-down)
Greensboro, NC
Taylorgso is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2013, 12:37 PM   #15
We live in the country; the nearest small town is about 15 miles away. Several neighbor homes on our road and it is still possible to leave the door unlocked if you choose and enjoy spring breezes through screen doors & windows as you sleep. Most of us own big dogs who sound off if something ain't right. Another comforting factor is that 80% of our neighbors are retired military or cops or ranchers who are recognized as pretty good shots at the local shooting range.

In the hill country, folks still wave as they pass each other on the roads. Hand on the top of the steering wheel, palm faced forward with index finger howdy means 'I don't recognize the car, but howdy anyway'. Two fingers means 'Hi Neighbor'...
Scratch sends...
'12 nights camped: 12
'13 nights camped: 24
'14 nights camped:
Scratch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2013, 12:53 PM   #16
Our traffic light wasn't working this morning. Traffic jamb for 2 hours before one of the 2 cars decided move.
Lily the Yorkie
2015 Dodge Ram Sport 1500
2015 Crossroads Zinger ZT28BH
Rugged Brown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2013, 05:46 PM   #17
Love it! Reminds me of the "village" I grew up in. One stop light, but it only blinked red and never changed colors.

Now I live in an even smaller "village" with no stoplights. Funny how I hated it growing up but want it for my kids now (that can't do anything bad or good without my folks knowing by the time I got home thing.)

PS - official term for back roads driving while drinking beer that you got while underage is "booze cruising".

Jack of all trades - Master of none
2012 F350 CC DRW - 6.7L PSD
2014 Sabre 36QBOK
QCCowboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2013, 06:05 PM   #18
I grew up in the mountains of WVA, steep roads with no guard rails, lots of furniture on the front lawn (not ours house) then moved to several large towns and some cities (military) . now it is the sticks of MI our street is 1 mile paved road with 12 houses total our town has 1 stop light and thats about it. got to love it, only time I go to the city is for the tigers games which is 1:45 minutes away
2012 Wildcat 344QB

06 LBZ ,CC 4x
lots of mods
jevanb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2013, 02:52 PM   #19
B47.....I had not thought about the blank checks in years. There were two banks in our town and we kept blank checks for both of them. Customers didn't even need to put their account numbers on the checks. I'm thinking Good Ole Days.
tnpopr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2013, 03:14 PM   #20
Originally Posted by tnpopr View Post
B47.....I had not thought about the blank checks in years. There were two banks in our town and we kept blank checks for both of them. Customers didn't even need to put their account numbers on the checks. I'm thinking Good Ole Days.
So I guess it wasn't just a small Texas town thing. Your are right - no account numbers, no addresses - just the bank name.

Another thing I remember about the town was that my FIL owned and ran the small local newspaper and my MIL went around to all the local merchants and businesses to solicit their advertising business. Being a small town, my in laws couldn't show any kind of favorism towards any local business since they all placed their advertisements in their newspaper and the advertising revenue was very important to the newspaper. So my in laws would always eat at all the local restaurants and shop at all the local businesses to avoid any showing of favorism to any one local business.

I guess it made good sense.

B47 is offline   Reply With Quote

« Balls!! | Ole Blue »