Old 05-11-2013, 08:43 AM   #1
Site Team
You might be from a small town if.....

1. You can name everyone you graduated with.
  2. You know what 4-H and FFA are.
  3. You went to parties at a pasture, barn, or in the middle of a dirt road.
  4. You used to lap "main".
  5. You said the "F" word or smoked a cigarette and your parents knew within the hour.
  6. You scheduled parties around the schedule of different police officers, since you know which ones would bust you and which ones wouldn't.
  7. You could never buy alcohol because all the store clerks knew how old you were (and if you were old enough they'd tell your parents anyhow).
  8. When you did find somebody old enough and brave enough to buy alcohol, you still had to go out into the country and drive on back roads to drink it.
  9. It was cool to date somebody from the neighboring town.
  10. The whole school went to the same party after graduation.
  11. You don't give directions by street names, but by references: (Turn by Nelson's house, go 2 blocks east to Anderson's, and its four houses left of the track field).
  12. You know everyone's car/truck and are expected to wave when you meet them in the road.
  13. You can't help but date a friend's ex-boyfriend/girlfriend.
  14. Your car stays filthy because of the dirt roads and you will never own a dark vehicle for this reason.
  15. The town next to you is considered "trashy" or "snooty", but is actually just like your town.
  16. You refer anyone with a house newer then 1980 as the "rich people".
  17. The people in the "big city" dress funny (then you pick up the trend 2 years later).
  18. Anyone you want can be found at the local gas station or the town pub or in front of the post office.
  19. You see at least one person a week driving a tractor through town or one of your friends drives a grain truck to school occasionally.
  20. The gym teacher suggests you haul hay for the summer to get stronger.
  21. Directions are given using THE stop light as a reference.
  22. You decide to walk somewhere for exercise and 5 people pull over and ask you if you want a ride somewhere.
  23. Your teachers call you by your older sibling's names.
  24. Your teachers remember when they taught your parents.
  25. You can charge at all the local stores or write checks without any ID.
  26. The closest McDonalds is 15 miles away (or more).
  27. The closest mall is over an hour away and is called simply "THE Mall".
  28. It is normal to see an old man riding through town on a riding lawn mower.
  29. You are related in one way or another to a large percentage of the town's Population.
  30. You laugh your butt off reading this because you know it is all true and you forward it to everyone who lives in your town (because you know them all).

2011 Flagstaff 831 RLBSS

I used to be addicted to time travel, but that's all in the past now.
wmtire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2013, 09:18 AM   #2
Wow - that sounds like the town we live in...oh but we have volunteer fire dept & sheriff helpers - last I heard, there were 3 paid officers who patrol the entire county - the county seat is more than an hour away..trips to file paperwork ther are called the pony express...county residents abide by "code of the west" - one part meaning its the property owners responsibility to put upa fence if you want to keep out other animals...interesting

2012 FR Flagstaff T12SDTH
1996 Shadowcruiser Pop Up Truck Camper
1967 Newell Motorcoach
2003 Ford F150 5.4 V8 Triton Super Cab
2004 Nissan Titan LE 5.6 V8 4x4 Crew Cab
handbuilder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2013, 09:22 AM   #3
Moderator Emeritus
Ah, I remember those days. Thanks for posting, Bobby.

Chap , DW Joy, and Fur Baby Sango
2006 Ford F150 Super Cab 4x4
2008 Surveyor 263
MtnGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2013, 09:28 AM   #4
I grew up 20 miles north of ATL which used to be "the sticks." Now I live in a small town in Iowa. After living in ATL it took some time to get used to people knowing if a dog craps in my yard before I do...

It's been 10 years now and I am liking the small town living.
2015 MicroLite 21FBRS
2009 Ford Sport Trac 4.6L
If you're ever lost... set up camp and now you're home!
Zambolie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2013, 11:45 AM   #5
Regarding # 25 of the original post reminds me of something that was new to me in a small town. My wife was from a small central Texas town and when she and I would go around to the different small merchants and local businesses there, all the businesses had pads of blank checks from the local bank (only bank in town) laying on the counter by the cash register. The checks were not personalize with anyone's name.

When I asked why there were blank checks laying around ( I'm thinking theft ), my wife said that everyone, including the local businesses, knew every person in town and the blank checks were there for the locals to use to pay for their purchases.

It worked then, but I don't think that is still the practice.
B47 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2013, 03:25 PM   #6
Another rat in the race
Being a city boy (but honestly I grew up in a small mountain community by SoCal standards >1000 kids in the district), I went to visit my relatives in Pierce, NE and just about fell over when the paper boy came into my great uncle's house and put the afternoon paper on the coffee table with out a knock or announcing himself. That was the same trip I got in trouble for locking the truck door when getting out, turned out the keys had been lost years before and the local mech just put a switch & button on the dash.
A rainy day camping is better than any sunny day at work
2004 F250 V10 SD Xcab 2011 Wildwood T26BHXL
jar3316 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2013, 04:06 PM   #7
I have done/seen or been apart of everyone of the items in the list.
03 Forest River Salem LE Travel Trailer 26BHSS
'12 Chevy Suburban w/ Heavy Tow Pkg
4 kids: G13, G12, G10, B6
2 Vizsla's Mizuno & Zeno, 1 Weimaraner Kayda

2013 Nights Camped 7
vizsla owner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2013, 04:27 PM   #8
Mod free 5er
When I was growing up, no one ask where the car keys were, they were always in the car parked in the driveway. Later, we had a garage and it was never locked and the keys were still kept in the car. Now, we lock everything even lock the car inside the garage, have burglar alarms & motion detector lights. Ironic that we have supposedly become more socialized, educated, informed, civilized and can't trust anyone.
OldCoot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2013, 06:14 PM   #9
Another rat in the race
at the risk of my personal belongings we rarely lock our doors and we do live in a big ish city. My son left our front door open the entire weekend while we were gone camping, not unlocked, open. When we got back everything was where it should have been and my friends say I live in the bad area.

But with that said, had a birthday party for my 5 yr old and invited some very very VERY close friends. They asked if they could bring their visiting 23 yr old daughter, and 2 yr old granddaughter (whom we know very well also) to the family only party. Afterwords we found out all the purses had cash missing and 20 pcs of jewelry from my wife were missing. The daughter took all of it. We got it back but at a great cost monetarily (pawn shop) and personally (friendship) Turns out daughter has a drug problem. Heck of a way for the parents and us to find out.

Moral of the story Keep what's dear to you safe no matter what and don't sweat the other stuff. People, weather you know them or not, are generally good.
A rainy day camping is better than any sunny day at work
2004 F250 V10 SD Xcab 2011 Wildwood T26BHXL
jar3316 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2013, 06:43 PM   #10
Sounds like our small town. We do not have traffic lights, the main highway goes through our village.

Terry and Janet
2008 3001W Windjammer
2007 Ford F150
caper is offline   Reply With Quote

« Balls!! | Ole Blue »