Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-30-2015, 10:28 PM   #21

Quote:
Originally Posted by AMG View Post
I am screwed. It was used *1* day, brand new 2016...
I called like 8 dealers, most tell me the same line ... "I'm sorry, we service the coaches we sell first, then out of warranty work, and finally warranty work from those who chose not to purchase from us." And then I was told how many weeks it would take to see me.
I even was on the phone with FR trying to get them to allow me to bring it up to them directly up near Fontana and let them fix it. I really have to imagine this will be like 1 hour of a tech's time if it is truly just the shorted out controller board, then align the slide out, drop the motors back in, put the set screws in, and whammo!

I really called everyone I could, short of saying let me drive it 4 hours away.
Did you try this place in Fontana??

http://www.forestriverforums.com/for...ork-77296.html
Old 07-30-2015, 10:33 PM   #22
AMG

I actually have an appointment with them on Monday to bring it in, but I was thinking I would cancel. It's like 100 miles each way, and she said she probably cant get to it for a few days, and so the Friday thing is like basically nil chance. However, getting it on Monday to them was way faster than many weeks from others. Giant RV offering to take it in on Friday was pretty quick compared to some other stories I've heard. I guess I am mentally committed to letting these guys try at this point. I have to work tomorrow and Monday, so getting to Giant RV and getting home is tough, but I can swing it. Driving from San Diego to Quality and home is a half day for me
Maybe if this goes south, I will be doing that next time.
Old 07-30-2015, 10:51 PM   #23

Quote:
I actually have an appointment with them on Monday to bring it in, but I was thinking I would cancel. It's like 100 miles each way, and she said she probably cant get to it for a few days, and so the Friday thing is like basically nil chance. However, getting it on Monday to them was way faster than many weeks from others. Giant RV offering to take it in on Friday was pretty quick compared to some other stories I've heard. I guess I am mentally committed to letting these guys try at this point. I have to work tomorrow and Monday, so getting to Giant RV and getting home is tough, but I can swing it. Driving from San Diego to Quality and home is a half day for me
Maybe if this goes south, I will be doing that next time.
Well good luck in getting that slide and anything else that may pop up fixed ASAP for you man. I don't know whether to wish myself or Giant RV luck on Saturday when I go to pick mine up, cause if anything is fixed half-assed the wife and I will be two very very very unhappy people who will make sure we get heard no matter how high on the chain we have to climb We have an upcoming 1000 mile trip to Idaho that we better be problem free for...
Old 07-30-2015, 11:06 PM   #24

I know it's frustrating to plunk down your hard earned money only to have it break first time out.

Can you get the slide out manually?

If so, go to big bear and enjoy your time with your friends and drop it off in Fontana when you head home.

Just glad to get away
HONDAMAN174 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2015, 12:35 AM   #25
AMG

Quote:
Originally Posted by HONDAMAN174 View Post
I know it's frustrating to plunk down your hard earned money only to have it break first time out.

Can you get the slide out manually?

If so, go to big bear and enjoy your time with your friends and drop it off in Fontana when you head home.
Yeah, part of the dropping it off up at Quality is the fact its so far for me and not being open Sunday for service, I couldnt drop it off if I wanted on the way home.

It is kind of a PITA to try to manually operate the slide, and then of course when you are driving, I have a 2x4 to keep the slideout from actually sliding out while driving since the motors are disengaged. It is however, do-able to manually do it.

Tomorrow at Giant, I am going to explain to them the situation and explain if it isnt ready next week, I will pick it up on my way up the I-15 and bring it back to them the next week for them to finish. I have a huge laundry list of other things, but I only care about them replacing the slide-out controller right now.
Old 07-31-2015, 02:16 PM   #26

I think you will enjoy big bear. Encouraging you to go cause that park is too nice to pass up. You are going the back way, right? If you get the time, the zip line is tons o fun!

Just glad to get away
Old 07-31-2015, 02:23 PM   #27
AMG

Giant Rv was real cool today. He asked me if the issue was a water leak I said YES. He wasn't surprised. U showed him the Schwintek controller box and he says he agrees and thinks its likely just a replacement. We hope... So the plan is to hopefully have it fixed by Friday. TBD.

Yeah we wanna go bad. My friend who is bringing his TH said be world go up n down the front 30/330 way but I figured it'd be so tight n steep it would be no good. 38 prob the best idea...

I'll call them Monday afternoon n see if they have looked at it and submitted to FR.

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk
Old 07-31-2015, 02:40 PM   #28

Quote:
My friend who is bringing his TH said be world go up n down the front 30/330 way but I figured it'd be so tight n steep it would be no good. 38 prob the best idea...
I'm not 100% positive but usually the 30/330 is the most common way up and down and usually has the most lanes/traffic and is spread out a little more...I believe the 38 is the most gradual climb but a lot of the time it's just the 2 lanes, one each way...

Good luck if you head up there! Haven't dragged my trailer up there yet but I remember the 78 to Julian had me white knuckle! Haha
Old 07-31-2015, 03:31 PM   #29

I agree that the 38 would prob be best.

Just remember to put in the town of Fawnskin when you put address in your gps. If you put in big bear, you will find yourself in some tight residential roads. Don't ask how I know this...

Just glad to get away
Old 07-31-2015, 03:43 PM   #30
AMG

Quote:
I agree that the 38 would prob be best.

Just remember to put in the town of Fawnskin when you put address in your gps. If you put in big bear, you will find yourself in some tight residential roads. Don't ask how I know this...
Good info, thanks.
I drove through that town once when I had an Audi A4 FWD and the bridge of the dam had CHP on it checking for chains. I didnt have chains when i went up (stupid) and they required them to go down. I thought I could go around them by going the back way (I did get around them) but quickly realized my FWD car couldnt make it and turned around and went the long way down, then back up (I was staying in Arrowhead). 3 hour huge drive. thanks!
It looks like the 38 adds like 25 miles to the drive, no biggy, probably worth it for the ease of the drive.
Old 07-31-2015, 03:46 PM   #31

Just remember that there is a free ice machine on the outside of the pool area for your beer cooler!

Have a great time!

Just glad to get away
Old 08-05-2015, 03:00 PM   #32
AMG

I am not out of the woods yet, but I will just provide an update as I know there are inquiring minds like mind that like to know

I'll start by saying that I know RV dealer service is slow. I accept it isnt the same as dropping your 2016 Honda off and getting it back that same day with work done. So far I have nothing but great things to say about RV Giant in Murietta. Each time I talk to those guys over there they really seem like they truly WANT to get my coach fixed. I know they got their hands full with too many jobs, but they are making every effort possible to them to try to help. I am told that they called over to FR today and that they are picking up my part today (they go get parts from Rialto every Wed) and we are thinking/hoping that it is only that little controller box and I should be able to get it on my way up the I-15 on Friday.

It isn't fixed yet, so like I said, we arent out of the woods yet, but I have to give them props for really trying to help. I also know that I may be getting a little bit of assistance because 1. I call many times a day. 2. I call FR and talk to Robbie there at least once a day. 3. my fix should be super fast 4. I had less than 1-day using the brand new 2016 trailer 5. it all could have been avoided by someone looking it before selling it to me.

I'll update more when I know more.
Old 08-05-2015, 03:03 PM   #33

Good to hear about positive progress.

We would all much rather see you with your unit enjoying fistfuls of adult beverages this weekend!

Just glad to get away
Old 08-06-2015, 02:18 AM   #34

Quote:
Good to hear about positive progress.

We would all much rather see you with your unit enjoying fistfuls of adult beverages this weekend!
Here here to that!! Keep us posted bud!

Should be camping but I'm on Tapatalk
2014 Brute Force 300 (daughters)
2016 Days Camped: 22
Check Us Out On YOUTUBE!!
PolarisGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2015, 10:39 AM   #35
AMG

Update:
One motor was bad. They said the wires were ripped right at the motor, not enough length to even try to strip n solder again. So thanks to both Giant RV and FR service worked together and got me a new motor the next day. Friday giant went to install and found more wires ripped within. So this weekend wasn't meant to be....
I commend them both on doing all they could do to help us out though. It almost worked.
Old 08-08-2015, 07:44 PM   #36
fx2

Quote:
Update:
One motor was bad. They said the wires were ripped right at the motor, not enough length to even try to strip n solder again. So thanks to both Giant RV and FR service worked together and got me a new motor the next day. Friday giant went to install and found more wires ripped within. So this weekend wasn't meant to be....
I commend them both on doing all they could do to help us out though. It almost worked.

I had one bad experience with Giant RV in Colton. All said and done the problem was my service writer. I had them change my service writer and all experiences since have been great.
2002 Ford F250 7.3l 4x4
fx2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2015, 02:08 AM   #37

Quote:
Update:
Hey AMG, well I'm glad that everything is working out even if you weren't able to pick up the unit and enjoy it this weekend. Glad Giant is working so great with you as well. Hope you get her back soon! Keep us posted!

Should be camping but I'm on Tapatalk
Old 08-16-2015, 11:15 PM   #38
AMG

I picked up the TH yesterday morning from Giant RV.

I really have nothing but great things to say about the guys there. I know they have too much work, too little tech's, too little room, all of that. But I really feel they were doing all they can do to help me.

So they had to replace the control box, 1 motor, the wiring from the motor to the control box, and then the rubber outside sealing.

I am going to go to Lame Hemet for Labor Day weekend. It was a last minute (this weekend) booking, because I'll be flying solo, so I figure my bro and I will go out there and give this another try... I hope for the best.
Old 08-17-2015, 02:55 PM   #39

Great to hear everything is back up and running for ya AMG! I too am booked up for labor day (back to our full hookup site thank God) and looking forward to hearing how your trip goes. We just did a quick 2.5 day trip dry camping and I'm having some troubles filling our fresh water tank(s). City water connection works great but I'm getting SO much back pressure from the gravity feed. Still loving our trailer though.
Old 08-17-2015, 06:06 PM   #40
AMG

Thanks! yeah I am doing full hookup again for Labor Day as I need more time to be able to test this out and look for other issues before desert season. I actually haven't tried filling the fresh water tanks yet (we have the 2, 160G total) but I know there is 1/3 in there. Not sure if how it fills is all to 1 tank, then overflow to the other, or if basically my 1/3 is total across the two tanks, etc... I will prob crawl under and try to understand how they plump that.

I almost didn't admit to this, but I think there is a *chance* the reason that the Hot & Cold fittings were slightly dripping behind the outdoor shower hookup could have been because the place we were at had really high water pressure. I didn't have the pressure regulator that I own hooked up (50-60psi output). It also could have just been that the fittings were lose (which they were, and after I tightened, the dripping stopped!). However, if the pressure was like 80psi, maybe they wouldnt have dripped. Bottom line, I will use that regulator going forward. I also got a filter that fits outside too.
I actually never needed to use the regulator on our old TT, as we never went to a place with hookups. I just relied on the pump

:EDIT:
I added airbags to my F-250 so that even with the hitch weight, I can maintain the ride height and even though I have the WDH, i don't get squat in the rear.