Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-25-2015, 07:49 PM   #1
AMG

2016 Stealth Maiden Voyage, major problems!!!

We bought our 2016 Forest River Stealth WA2916 on 6/12/2015 and brought it out Friday for it's maiden voyage. We simply drove it home from the dealer to our storage, then brought it home on Friday 7/24, loaded our gear and went camping. We picked a nice local "resort" style place for the maiden voyage to test everything out. Thank god, this was the idea.

While I'm outside setting up, the wife turned on the sink and I instantly hear tons of water outside under neath. I tell her to stop. After investigation, we determine that its the kitchen sink drain to gray tank not making it there. No idea about the fix (YET!, read ahead to find out more)

We decide not to use the kitchen sink at this point, but of course it HAS been used and there is residual water in the P trap etc, but we didnt turn it on again.

Fast forward 2am Saturday morning (today actually). I get woken up as the slide-out is operating, I wonder WTF?? I go out there and I can smell burning electronics and I quickly notice the slide-out is only operating HALF of it, and it quickly jams, but you can hear it still trying.

I have no idea why. I can't see the motors, and know nothing about the SchwinTek at this point (I do know more now), so I get my head wayyyy under the sink.

1. I see that the flex-pipe for the drain is not even attached!! How the hell can this pass Forest River inspection, let alone Giant RV inspection? The water was simply pouring out on the floor and most made it down the hole in the floor and found its way to the outside ground.

I attached the flex-hose to the PVC fitting, screwed on the clamp and this issue was resolved. I then used a rag to clean up all residual water.

2. I then was wondering why the hell the slide-out did what it did and where the heck is this burning smell coming from?
I see that directly under neath the "P" trap there is slowly dripping water from the fitting. The controller board for both motors is mounted DIRECTLY under it. Each time a drip of water falls, it was going directly in to the board. Why the hell is it mounted on that part of the wall? If it was simply mounted 6" to the left or right, it could never happen!

I check the clamps on the PVC "P" trap fittings and 2 of them had 3/4 of a turn left before they snugged up. W T F? I wiped everything up, tightened all of them and validated that after some time, ZERO water drips. But the damage is done...

I decide I cant do anything at this point as it must be hosed. I try switching off breakers, but nothing seems to kill the slide-out power (none labeled slideout). Even with Battery Disconnect, it is pointless because we are on land-line AC power (we need it as A/C is pumping to keep us cool).

3. In the morning I decide to take the drawers out and look behind there. Low and behold I see MORE dripping from the hot and cold fittings, because we have high pressure water hooked up outside from the RV park, it pressures all that. I wipe it all up and Tighten those fittings and the dripping stops. Once again, how the heck did all this slip by? I also notice one of those square bits from a drill sitting on the ground. Yay, nice job there... Mine now.

I cant tow my trailer home with the slide-out half cocked open. Tomorrow the CoachNet guy is coming at 8am to get this thing closed.
I googled a lot and it seems that I think he's going to have to nicely cut the outside stripping as it has silicone sealed, and then get access to the set screws on both sides, remove them and use a flat head to lift the motors up 1/2" and put the set screws back, then we should be able to push the slide-out back in, put a 2x4 inside ontop to keep it from coming out on the drive home.

I'm real glad I have this CoachNet for 1 year, but I guess I have to pay the guy out of pocket and request FR pay me back, hopefully this goes well.

100% totally an issue of the installer who put this piping in, negligence and then it wasn't inspected closely by the RV Dealer (seller) to ensure all those are good too. Sucks...

Here's the pics.

I would LOVE to hear your feedback on this one. By the way, we already pre-paid a camping trip up in Big Bear Lake which is like $110/night and we have friends going with their TH 2 weeks from now. I doubt I'll get this fixed by then
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	stealth1.jpg
Views:	349
Size:	84.2 KB
ID:	84164   Click image for larger version

Name:	stealth2.jpg
Views:	343
Size:	71.4 KB
ID:	84165   Click image for larger version

Name:	stealth3.jpg
Views:	341
Size:	84.2 KB
ID:	84166   Click image for larger version

Name:	stealth4.jpg
Views:	322
Size:	92.3 KB
ID:	84167   Click image for larger version

Name:	stealth5.jpg
Views:	318
Size:	60.8 KB
ID:	84168  

AMG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2015, 09:15 PM   #2

Sorry to hear about your fiasco. It is amazing how things like that can slip by quality control inspections Boy all that wiring and hoses looks like a real clusterf#ck, you would think they could clean that up a little. I have read bad things about Giant's service department. Maybe you could call around for a certified Forest River service shop that you could use instead.

Good luck on getting it fixed...let us know how it turns out.

'17 F350 STX 6.7 CCSB
'15 Stealth 2313
stealthWA2313 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2015, 02:17 AM   #3

Bummer to hear about. All to familiar tho, my unit had the exact same situation with the flexline being completely detached from the drain line. We ran everything at PDI and had no leaks. I'm guessing the fitting was never tightened and after extending and retracting the slide a few times and bouncing down the road a while it became detached. We encountered ours on our very first trip as well while pulled over to eat lunch...ran the sink for a second, heard the water hitting the ground, then saw the puddle forming from underneath.

Not sure about my slide motor sticking but it had recently began extending and retracting at an angle...

Check that place in Fontana that was mentioned in the other thread about warranty work...I just heard from Giant in Montclair this past Friday...still tracking down my window they're going to replace and waiting to install new speakers and slide parts that had been received. I'm sure it'll be another few weeks till I get mine back...as of today it's been there for seven weeks...

I am obsolutely never going to deal with Giant RV ever again, and highly recommend others to steer clear at all costs.

Oh yea one other thing too, I've only camped at full hookups once so I tend to forget about it and it hardly gets used but I've read on here that everyone recommends a pressure regulator for the city water attachment, not sure if you were running one...
Old 07-26-2015, 11:53 PM   #4
AMG

I watched videos on youtube and saw how you can manually retract the slide. I didnt have a ladder and while I could have borrowed one from the service place near by, I figured why bother when the CoachNet was free and they were coming at 8am. The dude came and manually retracted it. Not before pushing too hard on the siding and putting 2 dents in it. They are small, but dude, why did he push there and not on the edge where the molding is strong and not just siding? So I'll ask about fixing that, or try on my own with some paintless dent removal knowldge I got.

Going to check tomorrow on getting this thing in ASAP to RV Solutions in SD if I can. Have an appt at Giant RV though for Friday, but want to try to get this fixed before then. It should be fast as I believe the issue is just the module needing to be swapped which is 5 minutes max, then simply fixing the molding (silicone) where he had to remove it to get to the motor, then drop the motors back down in, install the set screws and then good to go. TBD.. i'll post up more too.

Oh, It turns out I did have the pressure regulator, from a previous Keystone RV I had. I didnt know what it was till I looked it up on Amazon and thought "**** I have one of those!" so I'll use that next time just as a precaution to help with all the lines in case too much pressure too (the dripping coming from the shower fittings).
Old 07-27-2015, 12:42 PM   #5

I brought home my 2015 Puma 32DBKS and all of the drain fittings underneath the sinks were loose and leaking! Had to tighten up all of them to stop them from leaking. Makes you wonder why they are not taking the 1 second more to tighten up the connections?
2005 Ford Excursion 6 liter Turbo Diesel
Bilcin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2015, 01:17 PM   #6

Don't know about your dealer, but ours charged A LOT for prep and PDI. I'd strongly request a refund for obvious lack of service / breach - they didn't do what they charged you for. Good luck...
NCBBA11043 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2015, 02:08 PM   #7

Our WA2916 maiden voyage was this weekend as well and would you looky there... SAME IDENTICAL ISSUE for us too! Luckily no water got on our slide circuit board but water was just pouring out of our sink into the slide. Found that gray hose disconnected, put it back, gave it a good what for and tightened all the other connections that were loose. I was highly pissed off that water had just poured into my 40k toy hauler!! Other then that one issue it was a good trip but sheesh!!!

EDIT: Oh and yeah our shower leaked a bit too where the glass connects to those cheap rubber fittings that sandwich the glass in. We're going to give it a good clear caulking makeover.
2014 Brute Force 300 (daughters)
2016 Days Camped: 22
Check Us Out On YOUTUBE!!
PolarisGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2015, 02:49 PM   #8
AMG

I have been trying to call Forest River all morning, their number doesn't work. Seriously, how the hell can that be? I called FR out in Idaho or something (not for the toy haulers) and they said thats the only # they have for FR too. What sucks is I prepaid for a camping trip $220 August 7th-9th. I think unless FR helps me out, it may make more sense to just wait to bring the coach in, and manually push the slide in/out that weekend. This sucks.
Old 07-27-2015, 02:55 PM   #9

Yeah unfortunatley I think you're going to be hard pressed for an issue to be resolved that fast. Trust me I'm in your corner though. I seriously can't believe we both had the same identical MAJOR issue in the same weekend. Our dealer did show us a trick on getting the slide in and out though but you have to remove the screws down both sides of the slide and then release a pin or something and then it can be move din and out. Hopefully I never have to deal with that. Cheering for you AMG!
Old 07-27-2015, 02:58 PM   #10
AMG

Quote:
Originally Posted by PolarisGuy View Post
Yeah unfortunatley I think you're going to be hard pressed for an issue to be resolved that fast. Trust me I'm in your corner though. I seriously can't believe we both had the same identical MAJOR issue in the same weekend. Our dealer did show us a trick on getting the slide in and out though but you have to remove the screws down both sides of the slide and then release a pin or something and then it can be move din and out. Hopefully I never have to deal with that. Cheering for you AMG!
I removed the two set screws on either side and lifted the motors up. My slide will slide in and our manually now if you push. I have a 2x4 inside holding it so that when you drive it cannot slide out in a turn. I think i COULD actually go camping with it like this and just manually push it out flush and do my thing.

What sucks, is If I had no warranty, I could buy a new one of these:
Schwintek 13398 C2 Dual Motor Synchronous Velocity Slide Out Controller | eBay

Have it here in no time, and then the slide-out would be good to go. Instead, I have to wait weeks for it to be seen at a service center, then FR to approve, more time to ship items, then more time for them to install a part that I could put in, in 10 minutes or less! Oh... Yeah... and I would MOVE it away from being right under the sink! (the cables are coiled up with like 3-4 feet extra just looped there and zip tied).

At least I am getting all this figured out before we are out in the middle of the desert and **** happens. Next weekend is just another RV resort, kick back in Big Bear with some friends and family in their toy hauler too.
Old 07-27-2015, 03:14 PM   #11

Are you staying at the RV resort at big bear?

Just glad to get away
HONDAMAN174 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2015, 03:15 PM   #12

I'd say go on your trip and have a drink and try to relax lol. But thanks for the link to the controller for future reference. Did you happen to notice all the screw heads through the frame, etc? I was a little shocked to see how unfinished some of the construction was/is. We only see NEW SHINY when we are buying these things but once we own it we see EVERYTHING hahah.
Old 07-27-2015, 03:16 PM   #13
AMG

Quote:
Originally Posted by HONDAMAN174 View Post
Are you staying at the RV resort at big bear?
Yeah thats the plan. one right on the lake. The other buddy who has a TH (weekend warrior) as well. Just taking the family up, nice weekend. Second weekend to vet out any issues.
Old 07-27-2015, 03:20 PM   #14
AMG

Quote:
Originally Posted by PolarisGuy View Post
I'd say go on your trip and have a drink and try to relax lol. But thanks for the link to the controller for future reference. Did you happen to notice all the screw heads through the frame, etc? I was a little shocked to see how unfinished some of the construction was/is. We only see NEW SHINY when we are buying these things but once we own it we see EVERYTHING hahah.
Yeah the screws through the frame is typical. I am not concerned about it at all, it simply isn't a clean method. Coaches arent built like a car...

Wanna see nasty? Remove those 3 drawers in your kitchen and look back behind there. I had one of his tool bits (the square bit) sitting on the ground, a bunch of pieces of the cabinet wood that was cut (scraps) laying there, saw dust all over, 2 extra square bit screws rolling around. How hard is it to throw away the scraps, not drop screws (if you do, pick them up) and vacuum.

One major item my wife feels VERY strongly about is the placement of that controller coupled with the not tightening the P trap. We have a 9 month old girl and she crawls all over the place. If she had been behind in the kitchen when the slide-out got a mind of its own at 2am, she could be killed as it would just squish her. I'm glad that didnt happen DUH, but my wife is quite upset and expects FR to pony up and make all this right. I told her not to hold her breath unfortunately. Also upset Giant RV never bothered to check any of this.
Old 07-27-2015, 04:49 PM   #15

Good O Forest River quality control.......When I bought my new TT last year I was amazed to find out how these things are Thrown together. Forest River actually broke the black tank vent to make it fit, anyhow I hope you can get it all worked out.
danc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2015, 08:13 PM   #16

Some things never change.

Mid to late 70's as a high school student I worked as the lot rat and gopher for the local Holiday Rambler dealer. Also sold Coachmen units and Coleman popups. EVERY unit that came in I had to go through and test all of the systems and tighten up all kinds of connections. This from high dollar and mid dollar mfrs 40 years ago. Cleaned up a crap load of sawdust and other debris out of every unit. I was the QC at the dealer level.
Side note: I would be up under the kitchen cabinet all contorted and making unseemly noises and the Service Manager would decide to goose my leg. I'd about kill myself trying to get out to get him. Then one day I wasn't as far back in there as he thought with a crescent hammer in my hand, he goosed me and I came out like a snake. Stopped the wrench a couple of inches from his nose and he crossed his eyes looking at it. Never did that again to me...

vasnipe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2015, 09:44 PM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by AMG View Post
Yeah thats the plan. one right on the lake. The other buddy who has a TH (weekend warrior) as well. Just taking the family up, nice weekend. Second weekend to vet out any issues.

Any update with what the dealer is doing to fix this?

Try to get spot 69- owner keeps it up well. Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByForest River Forums1438310590.023830.jpg
Views:	207
Size:	93.9 KB
ID:	84620

Name:	ImageUploadedByForest River Forums1438310619.375790.jpg
Views:	223
Size:	105.9 KB
ID:	84621
And be ready for visitors!

Name:	ImageUploadedByForest River Forums1438310659.812552.jpg
Views:	213
Size:	90.2 KB
ID:	84623

Just glad to get away
HONDAMAN174 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2015, 09:49 PM   #18
AMG

I have an appointment tomorrow 8a with Giant RV to drop it off. I'm going to try to stress how I really need it by next Friday. Seems from all that I read to have it all done in 1 week is like finding a unicorn.

That spot looks nice. I hope we can make it.
We have spots 54 and like 60 something.. It'll be fun if we make it.

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk
Old 07-30-2015, 10:17 PM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by AMG View Post
I have an appointment tomorrow 8a with Giant RV to drop it off. I'm going to try to stress how I really need it by next Friday. Seems from all that I read to have it all done in 1 week is like finding a unicorn.

That spot looks nice. I hope we can make it.
We have spots 54 and like 60 something.. It'll be fun if we make it.

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk
I highly suggest trying to find someone else to do ANY warranty work...they called me today and told me my trailer was done...it's been there since June 6th...

Oh and mark my word...if you tell them youll need it by next Friday I bet they'll tell you to take it back home and just bring it in that following Monday instead! Hahaha
Old 07-30-2015, 10:20 PM   #20
AMG

Quote:
Originally Posted by ryanq55 View Post
I highly suggest trying to find someone else to do ANY service work...they called me today and told me my trailer was done...it's been there since June 6th...
I am screwed. It was used *1* day, brand new 2016...
I called like 8 dealers, most tell me the same line ... "I'm sorry, we service the coaches we sell first, then out of warranty work, and finally warranty work from those who chose not to purchase from us." And then I was told how many weeks it would take to see me.
I even was on the phone with FR trying to get them to allow me to bring it up to them directly up near Fontana and let them fix it. I really have to imagine this will be like 1 hour of a tech's time if it is truly just the shorted out controller board, then align the slide out, drop the motors back in, put the set screws in, and whammo!

I really called everyone I could, short of saying let me drive it 4 hours away.