Old 07-16-2016, 08:30 AM   #1

27RR battery issues revisited

I posted last weekend regarding issues with my batteries running dead and not recharging and thanks to quick response from forum members I was back up and running after resetting a breaker under the A-frame.

Unfortunately the issues continue, as the breakers will not reset now. Everything electrical runs with shore power or generator but not off batteries, nor will the batteries recharge. Found the breaker had tripped earlier in the week and reset.

I am again at a race without a meter so limited to what I can check. Fuses are all good and no breakers inside the unit tripped. I have a suspicion that the vent fan was initially causing the tripping, but really not sure.

Any ideas?

Old 07-18-2016, 08:22 PM   #2

Had a chance to check batteries with a meter today, showing 12.6 volts. I also removed all eight individual fuses one by one and attempted to reset the two circuit breakers, thinking maybe something on each circuit might have been shorting out and not allowing the breakers to reset. So it looks like batteries charge but no power is getting to anything else except jack because it is direct wired to batteries.

No luck at all. I am thinking the converter has quit or possibly the two circuit breakers have gone bad. I do not hear the cooling fan for the converter kick on when I plug into shore power.

Hope someone here has some ideas because travelling between spots without a working fridge is not good for frozen food. Will call dealer tomorrow.

Old 07-18-2016, 10:41 PM   #3

May sound odd, but I had a similar problem last year. Reset the breaker at the genset. Once I manually tripped and reset that breaker all was good.
Old 07-18-2016, 10:50 PM   #4

Do you mean the breaker inside the unit by the converter? If so, I have reset all of the individual breakers as well as the main ones. Still no luck.
Old 07-18-2016, 10:58 PM   #5

No. I mean the one that is actually mounted to the genset. Open the outside door on the left side. I believe it is on the right bottom.
Old 07-19-2016, 07:57 AM   #6

Being new to all of this I'm not sure where that even is. My fuses and converter are located under my refrigerator on the interior of the toy hauler.

I did remove the outside panel behind the refrigerator yesterday and did not see anything obvious, if looked just like components for the stove / refrigerator. Maybe I can get a photo tonight.

The only other exterior panel I have is up front for the water heater.
Old 07-19-2016, 08:33 AM   #7
clr

Sounds like meter time! I would turn all power off to the unit, disconnect the battery, disconnect the shore power and not run your genset. I would start by testing the load side of the circuit breaker, first put your meter on the 20V dc scale and insure that you do not have power on the load side of the circuit breaker. If no voltage change to ohms scale and measure from the load side of the circuit breaker to the chassis ground making sure you have a good ground point. There should be no continuity, if you read continuity then you have a short to ground some were. If continuity then pull one fuse at a time until the continuity is removed. If you pull all fuses and still have continuity then your cable between the circuit breaker and the fuse panel is shorted or similar. If you do not have continuity from the circuit breaker to ground then the circuit breaker itself may have failed. Remove both power cables from the circuit breaker and try to reset if it will not reset the breaker is defective and will need to be replaced. Good luck, and add a cheap meter to your camping tool kit.
2015 Prime Time Sanibel 3601
clr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2016, 10:56 AM   #8

27RR battery issues revisited

If you have a generator you have access to it. Here are some pictures. The switch with the red light on it is the local starting button. If you look to the right of it just inside you will see the breaker. That is what puts the genset power to the breaker panel inside. Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByForest River Forums1468943721.448070.jpg
Views:	57
Size:	98.7 KB
ID:	114667Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByForest River Forums1468943738.017121.jpg
Views:	56
Size:	96.4 KB
ID:	114668Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByForest River Forums1468943758.042675.jpg
Views:	52
Size:	98.2 KB
ID:	114669Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByForest River Forums1468943787.152849.jpg
Views:	57
Size:	290.2 KB
ID:	114670

Sent from my iPhone using Forest River Forums
Old 07-19-2016, 11:12 AM   #9

Thanks. That's where the confusion is. I have a portable generator.
Old 07-19-2016, 07:05 PM   #10

Disconnected all power tonight, DC and AC, and the two 12 volt circuit breakers would not reset. Went ahead and ran two jumper wires across the positive and negative of each breaker to bypass them and I was able to get 12 volt power to trailer.

So circuit breakers are both bad and I had talked to dealer earlier today and he said he would send me out a couple. The bigger question is why did they get fried?

Tags
battery