Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-04-2015, 10:36 PM   #1

Adding Bunk

Just purchased a 2012 XLR 24hfs and would like to know if there is anyway to add a 2nd bunk. Where did you have yours done? Any tips?
Ukrnelya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2016, 11:09 AM   #2

Hello, I just purchased a 2016 28tqdl xlr nitro that came with one bunk and I asked the dealer this exact question, he said that it could be done but didn't know where to get the parts. I suggest you look through your owners packet for the operating instructions, if you still have them, this will give you the manufacturers name and you can contact them directly. Btw mine are manufactured by happijac yours may be as well.
ndwrencher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2016, 11:38 AM   #3

Thank you!
Ukrnelya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2016, 11:25 AM   #4

So I have been researching more and found a kit to add a 2nd bunk to a happijac power bed lift, at www.mirageinc.com pn 1824314 sells for $78.75, and it appears that the mattress platform will have to be custom built.
Old 03-05-2017, 11:23 AM   #5

Add Happijac bed

I too would like to add a 2nd bed. I saw the same parts for the additional bed online at Mirage for $78.75. Trouble is they won't let you buy the kit alone, without buying the bed itself for $1600 or so. You can buy the trolley tabs, spacer kit and bed rails from the Happijac site for a little more. I'm going to try that and build my own frame from a queen size metal bed frame and trim it out. May need more parts to complete but that we'll see. If anyone else has tried this sure like to know what parts you bought and which you fabricated. Thanks
jalvid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2017, 12:22 PM   #6

Hello this is a reply to jalvid as well as an update to my progress to add a 2nd bed, I contacted forest river parts department and purchased the entire bed minus the mattress for $550 including shipping, this bed will be exactly like the one I already have, it came with the platform, padded side rails,trolley rails and tabs and all hardware, however I have ran into a few snags along the way, first it seems that happijac has changed the design of the trolley tabs to a slotted one, I contacted their technical support and was able to get the updated tabs for about $35 with shipping, 2nd Forrest river sent me the wrong mattress platform, the one they sent was 87" long and the one I need is 91", it was their mistake and they are sending the correct one at no charge. It is supposed to be delivered this week.
So if you choose to upgrade make sure about the style of trolley tabs and the length of your existing platform.
Also if anyone is interested I may have a 87" mattress platform for sale if I do not have to return it.
Old 03-05-2017, 12:45 PM   #7

Hello again I forgot to mention in my previous post that I have also upgraded the mattress on the happijac platform, I noticed when laying on the original mattress you could feel the cross ribs in the platform, so I went to a mattress store and bought a bunk board to stiffen it up, also purchased a foam mattress, a regular queen size fits perfectly.
Old 03-07-2017, 08:24 PM   #8

Adding Bunk

I have a second bunk with mattress out of a carbon 33 toy hauler never used for sale.