Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-02-2015, 08:42 AM   #21

FYI I did ask my dealer about the ladder to access the roof, and they said it's an option not a standard. I guess that's right? Seems like most toyhaulers have one on the driver's side.
We will be picking ours up next Friday the 9th.
LB TN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2015, 09:50 AM   #22
Frog-Toberfest Organizer

This is only my second camper and I didn't realize it was an option. I have been told though that the ladders on fiberglass can crack the fiberglass. So maybe it's better I don't have it? I've seen some decent telescoping ladders that I might buy if they fit in the storage area for mine.
Andersen Ultimate Aluminum fifth wheel hitch V2
Days camped '16=43, '17=47, '18=57 '19=47 '20=47 '21=64 '22=62 '23=72 '24=0
Electra glide is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2015, 06:47 PM   #23

Quote:
Originally Posted by Electra glide View Post
This is only my second camper and I didn't realize it was an option. I have been told though that the ladders on fiberglass can crack the fiberglass. So maybe it's better I don't have it? I've seen some decent telescoping ladders that I might buy if they fit in the storage area for mine.
I think I'll be doing the same as you looking for the same type ladder. Another thing I will do is changing out the lock on the docking station, thanks again for that heads up.

One more question does your unit have the air antenna? My old unit had it in the bedroom and you just cranked it up. I don't remember seeing it the few times that we have walked through the new one, if so where is it located? I do have Direct TV but I get annoyed when I can't find the signal & just give up. Lol. So we use the air antenna about 90% on the time.
Old 10-03-2015, 06:52 PM   #24
Frog-Toberfest Organizer

Quote:
Originally Posted by LB TN View Post
I think I'll be doing the same as you looking for the same type ladder. Another thing I will do is changing out the lock on the docking station, thanks again for that heads up.

One more question does your unit have the air antenna? My old unit had it in the bedroom and you just cranked it up. I don't remember seeing it the few times that we have walked through the new one, if so where is it located? I do have Direct TV but I get annoyed when I can't find the signal & just give up. Lol. So we use the air antenna about 90% on the time.
Ours just came with the booster, which doesn't really work that well. We typically take the directv dish with us. I didn't use it all this year for some reason. Now that football is on I've set it up to make sure it works. I use satellite director for Android that works pretty well for aligning the dish.
Old 10-03-2015, 07:12 PM   #25

When you say booster is that a button you push that will light up green and along with raising the antenna? At least that's what's on my old unit.
Old 10-03-2015, 07:21 PM   #26

There is a new recall notice out from NHTSB for Vengeance and Cherokee units from 2009-2016 for wiring harnesses. Safecar.com
Aviator Wright Flyer #1919
Army Pathfinder Vietnam, 3 tours
DAV, MOPH, VFW, NRA, 1stCav. ABN
Blackhat6mike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2015, 09:11 PM   #27
Frog-Toberfest Organizer

Quote:
Originally Posted by LB TN View Post
When you say booster is that a button you push that will light up green and along with raising the antenna? At least that's what's on my old unit.
Yes that button. Mine doesn't have the manual raise antenna. My previous FR camper didn't have the manual antenna either.
Old 10-03-2015, 10:04 PM   #28

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blackhat6mike View Post
There is a new recall notice out from NHTSB for Vengeance and Cherokee units from 2009-2016 for wiring harnesses. Safecar.com
Tell us more about the recall please.
trbomax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2015, 08:36 AM   #29

All Products Associated with this Recall

Details

2 Associated Documents

Manufacturer: Forest River, Inc.
SUMMARY:

Forest River Inc. (Forest) is recalling certain model year 2009-2016 Forest River Cherokee and Vengeance recreational trailers manufactured May 16, 2008, to September 14, 2015. The wiring harness for the trailer's lights, electric brakes, battery charging and many of the interior 12V fixtures may have an insuffient ground wire. CONSEQUENCE:

With an insufficient ground wire, the wiring harness may overheat, increasing the risk of fire. Additionally, the ground wire failure would result in the loss of the trailer's external lights and electric brakes, increasing the risk of a crash. REMEDY:

Forest River will notify owners, and dealers will inspect the trailer wiring harnesses, and upgrade the ground wires, as necessary, free of charge. The recall is expected to begin November 18, 2015. Owners may contact Forest River's customer service number at 1-260-593-4005. Forest River's recall number is 17B-0918-2015-0090. NOTES:

Owners may also contact the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration Vehicle Safety Hotline at 1-888-327-4236 (TTY 1-800-424-9153), or go to Home | Safercar -- National Highway Traffic Safety Administration (NHTSA).
2020 Indian Roadmaster
Toothpick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2015, 06:28 PM   #30

Quote:
Originally Posted by mele View Post
All Products Associated with this Recall

Details

2 Associated Documents

Manufacturer: Forest River, Inc.
SUMMARY:

Forest River Inc. (Forest) is recalling certain model year 2009-2016 Forest River Cherokee and Vengeance recreational trailers manufactured May 16, 2008, to September 14, 2015. The wiring harness for the trailer's lights, electric brakes, battery charging and many of the interior 12V fixtures may have an insuffient ground wire. CONSEQUENCE:

With an insufficient ground wire, the wiring harness may overheat, increasing the risk of fire. Additionally, the ground wire failure would result in the loss of the trailer's external lights and electric brakes, increasing the risk of a crash. REMEDY:

Forest River will notify owners, and dealers will inspect the trailer wiring harnesses, and upgrade the ground wires, as necessary, free of charge. The recall is expected to begin November 18, 2015. Owners may contact Forest River's customer service number at 1-260-593-4005. Forest River's recall number is 17B-0918-2015-0090. NOTES:

Owners may also contact the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration Vehicle Safety Hotline at 1-888-327-4236 (TTY 1-800-424-9153), or go to Home | Safercar -- National Highway Traffic Safety Administration (NHTSA).

Wow. Thanks for the info on the recall. I haven't taken delivery of mine yet but hopefully it won't affect alot of units.
Old 10-06-2015, 12:08 PM   #31

Quote:
I like the 2016 model with the glass sliding door. Seems to give the inside a "larger" appearance. The only thing I don't get is the lack of storage in the garage. No overhead cabinets at all. I'm hoping to find ideas here but locating a mod thread for improvements on these models is tough. LMK if you find one.
My 7.3l has a power issue. I am in the process of trying to fix it. Right now it's like I'm using my 5.3 V8 from my suburban when towing this rig. Hopefully my fixes work and I will find out for sure when I take it out again this weekend. My friend moved our camper with his Duramax 6.4l and it towed awesome. So once my 7.3 is fixed up I'll be good to go.
We've had ours for about two months now. Truck issues have kept us from camping but we are (crosses fingers) taking it out this weekend.
We have a 29v tt th and a 2000 F350 7.3L and it tows the TH just fine. Ours is lifted and had bigger tires so we couldn't get a 5th wheel. Your truck should pull it just fine.
americasweets is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2015, 08:35 PM   #32

Finally got around to posting some pictures these are @ home in the driveway.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20151011_174109216_HDR.jpg
Views:	283
Size:	261.8 KB
ID:	91471   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20151010_203554563.jpg
Views:	248
Size:	187.6 KB
ID:	91472   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20151010_203941486.jpg
Views:	254
Size:	313.8 KB
ID:	91473  
Old 10-13-2015, 08:58 PM   #33

A couple more pictures.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20151010_204112793.jpg
Views:	301
Size:	305.7 KB
ID:	91474   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20151010_203810913.jpg
Views:	279
Size:	270.2 KB
ID:	91476  
Old 10-20-2015, 10:25 AM   #34
Frog-Toberfest Organizer

Mines just a little different on the inside. I'll try and take better pictures when I'm in it this weekend. I don't have the loft bed we have cabinets instead. Is your sink area an island or not? We can walk all the way around ours. Oh now I see you have extra cabinets over the sink. Hmm. Much better access to storage. I never saw that layout when I was looking.
We have two windows in the garage area.
What are the advantages of the wheel covers? I've never used them and just curious. My camper is stored outside all the time. I am trying to decide if I want to try and cover the thing since it's outside in the Iowa winters.

I fixed the leaks in my truck and now it's basically the same as when it came off the lot brand new. The power towing at hiway speeds is terrible. Lower speeds the truck is fine. I am working on some mods to help. I am also learning a lot more about towing in general which is helping. How is your 2500 handling the load LB TN? I only have the 3 speed with overdrive but I have learned to tow mostly in 3rd.
I've never done any mods to a car or truck so I am over on the Ford forums learning how to "power up" my truck.
Old 10-20-2015, 12:30 PM   #35
Frog-Toberfest Organizer

The water heater bypass will be fun to get to in this. It's in the storage area behind that panel. You have to remove that whole panel to get to it. When I decide I'm done camping I'll have to take everything out of that storage area so that I can drop that wall. I'm going to see if there is a way to build a small access to it or extend the shutoff. I wonder if it could be accessed from under the bed???
I think the pump is under the bathroom sink so I will have to figure out how to pump antifreeze into it. My only other camper I had I just used an air compressor and blew the lines out then put the antifreeze in the traps. This camper I will try and just do full antifreeze.
Old 10-20-2015, 03:20 PM   #36

Quote:
Mines just a little different on the inside. I'll try and take better pictures when I'm in it this weekend. I don't have the loft bed we have cabinets instead. Is your sink area an island or not? We can walk all the way around ours. Oh now I see you have extra cabinets over the sink. Hmm. Much better access to storage. I never saw that layout when I was looking.
What are the advantages of the wheel covers? I've never used them and just curious. My camper is stored outside all the time. I am trying to decide if I want to try and cover the thing since it's outside in the Iowa winters.

I fixed the leaks in my truck and now it's basically the same as when it came off the lot brand new. The power towing at hiway speeds is terrible. Lower speeds the truck is fine. I am working on some mods to help. I am also learning a lot more about towing in general which is helping. How is your 2500 handling the load LB TN? I only have the 3 speed with overdrive but I have learned to tow mostly in 3rd.
I've never done any mods to a car or truck so I am over on the Ford forums learning how to "power up" my truck.
Yes our sink is a island and u can walk around it. We also have two windows in the garage. I use the wheel covers for the tires to protect them from the sun's rays. The sun can really dry them out. Iam looking into options to cover mine @ home.
As far as my truck it has pulled the camper great . I'll be honest I was worried at first but I can't tell the difference between towing my old camper & this one. My old one weighed in @ 8,400 dry & my new one came in @ 11,600. Mine is moded also with EFI Live which you can only get with the Duramax or Cummings. As far as the camper we've been out twice and a couple of small issues I found : The shower leaks where is base & the glass walls meet. Clear silicon fixed that. TV's while hooked up to cable was fuzzy. I found that a coax cable was not hooked up behind the wall on the big TV. The only other thing is my fresh water tank stays on 1/4 all the time. I haven't found a solution to that yet. Everything else is in good working order. Oh yeah I almost forgot about that led light switch by the bed, you wasn't lying that thing is BRIGHT. We also covered it. I wish there was a option to cut those off when you wanted to.
Old 10-20-2015, 03:33 PM   #37

[QUOTE=Electra glide;1014851]The water heater bypass will be fun to get to in this. It's in the storage area behind that panel. You have to remove that whole panel to get to it. When I decide I'm done camping I'll have to take everything out of that storage area so that I can drop that wall. I'm going to see if there is a way to build a small access to it or extend the shutoff. I wonder if it could be accessed from under the bed???
I think the pump is under the bathroom sink so I will have to figure out how to pump antifreeze into it. My only other camper I had I just used an air compressor and blew the lines out then put the antifreeze in the traps. This camper I will try and just do full antifreeze.[/QUOTinteeThe water pump is located in the same panel as the hot water heater. I agree I hate that you have to drop that whole panel to access those two small items. Mine did not have a pick up hose installed on the water pump to pull the antifreeze so I had my dealer install one before we left. I had them install door stoppers on the interior doors because they came awfully close to hitting the walls.
Old 10-20-2015, 03:39 PM   #38

[quote=lb tn;1015027]
Quote:
Originally Posted by electra glide View Post
the water heater bypass will be fun to get to in this. It's in the storage area behind that panel. You have to remove that whole panel to get to it. When i decide i'm done camping i'll have to take everything out of that storage area so that i can drop that wall. I'm going to see if there is a way to build a small access to it or extend the shutoff. I wonder if it could be accessed from under the bed???
I think the pump is under the bathroom sink so i will have to figure out how to pump antifreeze into it. My only other camper i had i just used an air compressor and blew the lines out then put the antifreeze in the traps. This camper i will try and just do full antifreeotinte

The water pump is located in the same panel as the hot water heater. I agree i hate that you have to drop that whole panel to access those two small items. Mine did not have a pick up hose installed on the water pump to pull the antifreeze so i had my dealer install one before we left. I had them install door stoppers on the interior doors because they came awfully close to hitting the walls.
Old 10-20-2015, 03:42 PM   #39

Sorry for duplicate post but I was trying to quote your post and it got all messy.
Old 10-20-2015, 07:36 PM   #40

Quote:

I also meant to tell you that Iam familiar with your floor plan because they changed it half way through making the 2016 models.When u ordered your unit u got the sliding glass door & cabinets. Now if you order you get what we have which is a loft and the glass cabinets above the island. We also got the residential style refrigerator.